Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds September Games Thread
1-6 with RISP (with the 1 hit being an in field hit in which CES did not advance to 3rd base) is absolutely brutal. We've had plenty of opportunities to score runs in this game and we've failed each time.

We'll probably lose 0-1 or 0-2.
Reply/Quote
DLC needs to be the 3B or OF next year. Have to move McLain back over to SS.

11 errors in 403 innings at SS just isn't something you can live with. When Votto played 162 games in 2017, that was just shy of 1,400 innings. That'd be ~38 errors at DLC's current rate.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
HELL YES!!!!!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Lol, Stupid Cubs gonna Stupid Cubs.

Back-to-back games they just gave away. Heck, I will take it if they don't want the Ws.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 10:25 PM)cinci4life Wrote: HELL YES!!!!!!!

HOOOOOOOLY SHIT, that closer they brought in screwed the Cubs so hard! What an ending!

I love how everyone was unsure whether they could celebrate or not because the play was SO close at first base.

The replay was clear as day though and, thankfully, the umpires didn't waste any time confirming the call and the win!
Reply/Quote
Bader and Renfroe both coming up big.

Nice night at the plate for EDC, too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 10:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: DLC needs to be the 3B or OF next year. Have to move McLain back over to SS.

11 errors in 403 innings at SS just isn't something you can live with. When Votto played 162 games in 2017, that was just shy of 1,400 innings. That'd be ~38 errors at DLC's current rate.

The problem is Marte is flashing some outstanding leather at 3B. I'm wondering if Elly could move to CF? Maybe even RF with that cannon of an arm. It would decrease his positional value slightly (SS is the most valuable defensive position in the game, other than maybe catcher), but it would relieve a logjam that we currently have in the infield.

I'm still not sure what they're going to do when India returns...
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 10:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The problem is Marte is flashing some outstanding leather at 3B. I'm wondering if Elly could move to CF? Maybe even RF with that cannon of an arm. It would decrease his positional value slightly (SS is the most valuable defensive position in the game, other than maybe catcher), but it would relieve a logjam that we currently have in the infield.

I'm still not sure what they're going to do when India returns...

Not sure it is a problem right now. Marte hasn't really shown he can hit enough to stay in the majors. There's no defense good enough in the world to make up for hitting .222/.300/.289. I know we're still dealing with a small sample size in the majors, but I think it's pretty easy to make him the odd man out right now.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 10:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure it is a problem right now. Marte hasn't really shown he can hit enough to stay in the majors. There's no defense good enough in the world to make up for hitting .222/.300/.289. I know we're still dealing with a small sample size in the majors, but I think it's pretty easy to make him the odd man out right now.

Well, he's a top 25 prospect in all of baseball. He's going to be given plenty of slack to develop and produce.

If he continues to hit like this through an entire season next year, then maybe we start to talk about him being lowered in priority and moved out of the infield, but I don't think we're close to that stage yet. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 10:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bader and Renfroe both coming up big.

Nice night at the plate for EDC, too.

Hell of a finish.  

I think I'd rather they score before the 9th tomorrow.  

Huge game, as it gives them the tiebreaker vs the Cubs.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 10:47 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Well, he's a top 25 prospect in all of baseball. He's going to be given plenty of slack to develop and produce.

If he continues to hit like this through an entire season next year, then maybe we start to talk about him being lowered in priority and moved out of the infield, but I don't think we're close to that stage yet. 

Nick Senzel peaked at 6, Billy Hamilton at 11, Jose Barrero at 33, Jose Paraza at 38, etc, etc...

Prospects are good and all, but if you are actually wanting to win next year (or any year) you can't hand a guy who hasn't shown anything a starting spot and then give an entire year of slack to be bad. That is something you do on a team already resigned to lose 100 games.

On a winning team (or a team which hopefully wants to win) he needs to compete for a spot and then continue to justify having it. He needs to show something more offensively than being 40% below league average.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 11:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nick Senzel peaked at 6, Billy Hamilton at 11, Jose Barrero at 33, Jose Paraza at 38, etc, etc...

Prospects are good and all, but if you are actually wanting to win next year (or any year) you can't hand a guy who hasn't shown anything a starting spot and then give an entire year of slack to be bad. That is something you do on a team already resigned to lose 100 games.

On a winning team (or a team which hopefully wants to win) he needs to compete for a spot and then continue to justify having it. He needs to show something more offensively than being 40% below league average.

I understand what you're saying. If Marte continues to not perform in spring training and the first half of the season, he'd start to lose his shine and may even be sent down to the minors. But competing teams are still developing their prospects. You have to in this league. Not every hole can be plugged with free agents, especially not for small market teams like the Reds. They need their prospects to pay off in order to stay competitive and not every rookie is going to be like Matt McLain and just instantly show advanced ability at the plate.

Let's give Marte more than a few weeks before we start talking about writing him off. They gave Nick Senzel portions of 4 full seasons before this year when he has finally been deemed a bust. I think we can afford to give Marte one year, at least.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2023, 11:35 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I understand what you're saying. If Marte continues to not perform in spring training and the first half of the season, he'd start to lose his shine and may even be sent down to the minors. But competing teams are still developing their prospects. You have to in this league. Not every hole can be plugged with free agents, especially not for small market teams like the Reds. They need their prospects to pay off in order to stay competitive and not every rookie is going to be like Matt McLain and just instantly show advanced ability at the plate.

Let's give Marte more than a few weeks before we start talking about writing him off. They gave Nick Senzel portions of 4 full seasons before this year when he has finally been deemed a bust. I think we can afford to give Marte one year, at least.

Don't really need to fill holes with free agents (offensively), and I wasn't suggesting it either, he will be pushed out by other internal guys....

Fraley, Friedl, Benson in the outfield.
DLC, McLain, India, CES in the infield.
Stephenson at C.

Just need to add a 2nd Catcher and maybe a real DH, neither of which is a role Marte is competing for.

Senzel got time because the Reds weren't good and weren't trying to be good. It is easy to give a guy time when you are expecting to lose 90+. The Reds aren't in that position for 2024.

Not writing him off yet, there will be an injury eventually and he will get another shot, and he will keep getting time before India returns. Just saying once India returns, Marte seems to me to be the easy choice for odd man out until another opening appears.

Reply/Quote
Reds still hanging on for the WC spot. Need to string a lot more wins before I'm comfortable. Of course, I'm ready to watch everything fall to pieces.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 12:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't really need to fill holes with free agents (offensively), and I wasn't suggesting it either, he will be pushed out by other internal guys....

Fraley, Friedl, Benson in the outfield.
DLC, McLain, India, CES in the infield.
Stephenson at C.

Just need to add a 2nd Catcher and maybe a real DH, neither of which is a role Marte is competing for.

Senzel got time because the Reds weren't good and weren't trying to be good. It is easy to give a guy time when you are expecting to lose 90+. The Reds aren't in that position for 2024.

Not writing him off yet, there will be an injury eventually and he will get another shot, and he will keep getting time before India returns. Just saying once India returns, Marte seems to me to be the easy choice for odd man out until another opening appears.

Oh okay, I see what you're saying. Yea, when India comes back (unless we trade him this off season), Marte may be the odd man out of the daily lineup. I still think they'd work him into the DH role (or perhaps have India in the DH role), but he'd be the first to drop from the lineup when they use the DH for someone else, I agree.

That is, until he starts producing. He's only 21 after all. He has all the potential in the world. He just needs to actualize it.
Reply/Quote
Reds could win Labor Day weekend series against Cubs today on Sunday. That would be great for the paying fans going to the game in Cincinnati.

WIN THE SERIES....GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
EDLC may need glasses? It fixed Ricky Vaughn...
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 02:12 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: EDLC may need glasses? It fixed Ricky Vaughn...

He literally had 3 hits just last night…

He’ll figure it out. Kid is only 21 years old. A fact many in this fanbase seems to ignore.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 02:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He literally had 3 hits just last night…

He’ll figure it out. Kid is only 21 years old. A fact many in this fanbase seems to ignore.

Looking like he might bracket it with golden sombreros.

I think it's tough to be 6'5" in MLB because people are going to pitch you down.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 02:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Looking like he might bracket it with golden sombreros.

Dammit

Reply/Quote