Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds September Games Thread
(09-03-2023, 04:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dammit

Yeah, I would have appreciated being wrong about that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I will still take a series win against the Cubs, just wish they wouldn't have allowed 15 runs today. The Cubs have really ran up the score on us quite a bit this year in their wins.

Anyone WATCH the game? How did the rookie call up look on the mound?
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 06:24 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I will still take a series win against the Cubs, just wish they wouldn't have allowed 15 runs today. The Cubs have really ran up the score on us quite a bit this year in their wins.

It was a series split. Split DH on Friday, won yesterday, and lost today.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 06:24 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I will still take a series win against the Cubs, just wish they wouldn't have allowed 15 runs today. The Cubs have really ran up the score on us quite a bit this year in their wins.

I watched up until blowout started. Spiers did ok for 1st ML appearance. He's an aggressive pitcher, in strike zone a lot. I'm no pitching professional but it seems he has a good bit of potential. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2023, 06:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I watched up until blowout started. Spiers did ok for 1st ML appearance. He's an aggressive pitcher, in strike zone a lot. I'm no pitching professional but it seems he has a good bit of potential. 
Good. I would rather have an aggressive guy who isn't scared of throwing strikes than a guy who picks away at the corners all the time, running his pitch count up.

Saw he throws a four seamer, slider, and a change-up. I know his FB tops out around 92/93, so his other pitches NEED to be effective. How did those look?
Reply/Quote
I turned game off when Bell brought Diaz in the 8th with bases loaded to keep it a tie game, and a single up the middle put Cubs ahead. Reds had used Sims and now Diaz and that go ahead single to me was no coming back from. I see Reds got blown out after that, so I was correct that the Reds were out of pitchers and just turn the TV off.

At least Reds managed a Labor Day split of the 4 games. Seattle comes in on Labor Day bringing some ex Reds back to Cincy. The Reds need to try to win more home games, the season isn't over. Fans can be talking about 2024, but not the team. They need to win some more home games for the paying customers going to games in Cincy. They can lose all the road games they want, but win some of the home games.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well...... there's 23 games remaining.

Next 3 at home vs. Mariners who are pretty good. And for whatever strange reasons we have a losing record at home 33-36 Then Cardinals at home, Tigers and Mets on the road, we're better on the road (go figure) 38-32. Neither of those teams are anything special so we better make some hay there.

Then Twins at home, they're pretty good. Pirates are next at home. Then we finish on road with 2 vs. Guardians they've kinda been on and off this season. And finish with Cards on road.

Right not it's a tie for all intents and purposes:

Us - 71-68
Marlins - 70-67
D'backs - 70-67
Giants - 70-67

Still up in the air, who can get hot??
Reply/Quote
Looks like Antone gets the start today.
Reply/Quote
It's a common question about switch hitters. And I've heard it questioned here and other places this season. Does Elly really benefit from switch hitting?

Here's some stats vs. left handed pitchers of course putting Elly batting right handed.

Average - .202 in 89 at bats he has 41 whiffs, approaching 50% - WOW .531 OPS 2 HR's 3 doubles and 5 RBI's You can't help but wonder how much batting right handed hurts him?

It makes me wonder is he trying to do too much? Just stay batting left handed vs. lefties and see what happens?
Reply/Quote
Wow what a start to this game!!!
Reply/Quote
Nice to see DLC with 2 BBs and 0 Ks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 07:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nice to see DLC with 2 BBs and 0 Ks.
Agreed! Nice bounce-back day for him!
Reply/Quote
Nice win. Could have done without the unnecessary 9th inning drama.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 07:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nice to see DLC with 2 BBs and 0 Ks.

Yes it was

The main thing that's bugging me now about him is the refusal to swing at first pitch. I mean the word is out among pitchers. Just groove a thigh high fastball right down the middle on first pitch to Elly because it's an easy strike one, he never swings.
Reply/Quote
Great two innings for Antone ! Lets hope he can get back in the swing of things quick.
Reply/Quote
Glad to see Reds won at home in Cincinnati on Labor Day for the paying fans. There are all kinds of stats, but winning at home for the paying fans is very important, and winning at home for a Labor Day crowd extra special.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Pirates just beat the Brewers!
Reply/Quote
Reds looked good today. Keep on winning. I don't think we can catch the Brewers, but we can win the wildcard spot. Renfroe had a good game too.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The few wins against the Cubs and Mariners so far have helped keep the Reds in the race.
With the injuries and COVID taking some pitchers out, it's honestly a miracle they got some wins.
If Reds can get another win (or two) against the Mariners, they should be sitting in a good spot the remaining 20 games based on SOS and pitchers coming back.
I also would like to see Connor Phillips get a call-up sometime in these last few weeks to get some ML experience and maybe help alleviate the pitching fatigue. Just a couple outings would be fine with me. Or maybe a handful of RP appearances.

EDIT - Apparently Phillips did get called up as a substitute with the guys out with COVID, and he's starting today. How long he will stay though this season is up in the air.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 12:29 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Reds looked good today. Keep on winning. I don't think we can catch the Brewers, but we can win the wildcard spot. Renfroe had a good game too.

NL Central winner will end up being the one that plays on WC series anyway against the last place WC team, so I don't think it's hugely important at this point whether Reds win the division or make it into a WC spot.
If Brewers win the division, it's definitely possible we see a Reds-Brewers 3-game series with 2 games being in MIL, as I don't think the Reds gets the #4 or #5 seed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote