Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds making push for Realmuto
Seems the Reds are serious about the fish catcher Realmuto.  

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd package India and Barnhart and maybe a 3rd lesser prospect, depending on the Marlins' preference. But I wouldn't consider dealing any of our top 3 guys for him. If Trammel, Senzel or Greene were too rich for Kluber, they should be too rich for Realmuto.
Reply/Quote
Chances are he'll only be around 2 years so they better be contending if they do this and I'm not sure they're quite there yet. We'll see though. A Johnny Bench he ain't, but few ever will be.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Lance, 700 and 1530, thinking out of the box, thinks we could trade for him and then flip him to Cleveland for Kluber.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 12:08 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Lance, 700 and 1530, thinking out of the box, thinks we could trade for him and then flip him to Cleveland for Kluber.

Why not just make it a 3 team trade?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 12:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Why not just make it a 3 team trade?

Lol true. Spring training is like 25 days away (at least for the Reds). You can still trade players, but usually they don't involve headliners like we're talking about here (best catcher and best pitcher in the game). So if they're serious about it, it'll be done very soon or not at all.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 10:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: Chances are he'll only be around 2 years so they better be contending if they do this and I'm not sure they're quite there yet. We'll see though. A Johnny Bench he ain't, but few ever will be.. 

I don't particularly buy this. He moves out of MIA (pitcher friendly park) in the NLC with GABP and the Brewers stadium? 

2017:
Home – .227/.292/.341
Away – .317/.362/.535

2018:
Home – .269/.329/.444
Away – .283/.350/.520

He'd absolutely dominate at a hitter friendly park like ours and a few others in the NLC, so I don't see why he wouldn't. I personally worry about his age more than anything. We're going to have an older baseball lineup, which seems to be bucking the trend of where baseball is currently headed.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 07:23 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd package India and Barnhart and maybe a 3rd lesser prospect, depending on the Marlins' preference. But I wouldn't consider dealing any of our top 3 guys for him. If Trammel, Senzel or Greene were too rich for Kluber, they should be too rich for Realmuto.

Wow, this actually seems perfect to me. 

1.Winker
2.Puig
3.Votto
4.Suarez
5.Gennett
6.Realmuto
7.Schebler
8.Peraza
9.Pitcher

Bench/future: Kemp, Senzel

That would be one of the most potent lineups in all of baseball. Following the Brewers footsteps it kinda looks like, eh?
Reply/Quote
I'm happy with Barnhart. I would not sell the farm for Realmuto. We are not quite World Series ready anyway.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
If it’s for Barnhardt, India and a mid level prospect, I’m all for it. I’ve questioned Barnhardt’s role in our pitching staff struggles, so I’m obviously not a fan of his and agree with FO that catcher needs upgraded.
Reply/Quote
I’ve never understood why catchers usually suck at hitting. It seems like they would understand sequence of pitches and be able to see the ball coming in a lot easier. I get that it’s a physical position but it looks like the brain and eyes part would come easily.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 12:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: If it’s for Barnhardt, India and a mid level prospect, I’m all for it. I’ve questioned Barnhardt’s role in our pitching staff struggles, so I’m obviously not a fan of his and agree with FO that catcher needs upgraded.

Barnhardt is a decent catcher. He's just a bit inconsistent at bat with not much power. A few .270+ seasons and he'd be on a LOT of clubs radars come FA time. He's better than quite a few other backstops, not as good as others. He's won 2 gold glove awards. One at the big league level and one while in Dayton in class A.. He hit .270 in '17.. We could do a LOT worse.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Surprised the Astros aren't in the mix.  Catcher is their weakest position.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 12:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: If it’s for Barnhardt, India and a mid level prospect, I’m all for it. I’ve questioned Barnhardt’s role in our pitching staff struggles, so I’m obviously not a fan of his and agree with FO that catcher needs upgraded.

That is a great point.  Maybe Realmuto will help the pitching staff with things like glove placement and his fantastic arm.  I hear Realmuto has the best arm in the league now.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:51 PM)Stewy Wrote: Surprised the Astros aren't in the mix.  Catcher is their weakest position.

I think they're banking on Garrett Stubbs, but I could be wrong.. He's had a .278 minor league average. Not sure how he calls a game though.. 

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 01:30 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’ve never understood why catchers usually suck at hitting. It seems like they would understand sequence of pitches and be able to see the ball coming in a lot easier. I get that it’s a physical position but it looks like the brain and eyes part would come easily.

Well, Bench was the exception of a lifetime.  But it seems to affect the posture and knee bend.  That is why sometimes team swap the catcher out with first base and usually have two quality catchers.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:59 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Well, Bench was the exception of a lifetime.  But it seems to affect the posture and knee bend.  That is why sometimes team swap the catcher out with first base and usually have to quality catchers.  

It's real tough on the knees and ankles even with modern equipment. My grandfather was a catcher back in the age of spikes. His legs looked like a roadmap of Cincinnati with all his scars. 

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 04:02 PM)grampahol Wrote: It's real tough on the knees and ankles even with modern equipment. My grandfather was a catcher back in the age of spikes. His legs looked like a roadmap of Cincinnati with all his scars. 

The good news is that the catcher no longer has to worry about blocking the home plate and taking physical damage.  But just the knee bend over 9 innings for even 100+ games cannot be good.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: That is a great point.  Maybe Realmuto will help the pitching staff with things like glove placement and his fantastic arm.  I hear Realmuto has the best arm in the league now.  

I believe he has one or the best “quick releases”, and one of the best pitch framing stats. But Tucker is actually not bad at throwing guys out. He just has poor framing, which magnifies not so good pitching.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:59 PM)grampahol Wrote: I think they're banking on Garrett Stubbs, but I could be wrong.. He's had a .278 minor league average. Not sure how he calls a game though.. 

Most likely.    The Astros are very conservative when it comes to giving away prospects.  They still have a stocked farm system.  Catcher has been a hindrance however.
Reply/Quote