Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds making push for Realmuto
Seems that the Reds have a very good chance to obtain Realmuto because the fish will need a catcher and Barnhart is a quality major league catcher under contract for 4 years.  

https://www.mlb.com/video/will-reds-land-jt-realmuto/c-2522404383?tid=6479266

https://www.mlb.com/video/marlins-to-trade-realmuto-soon/c-2522423883?tid=40172882
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just hope if the Reds get Realmuto, they can get a contract extension along with Wood and possibly Puig. The Reds may have no choice but to let Gennett go, move Senzel to 2nd base and try Trammell in CF after this year.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: Barnhardt is a decent catcher. He's just a bit inconsistent at bat with not much power. A few .270+ seasons and he'd be on a LOT of clubs radars come FA time. He's better than quite a few other backstops, not as good as others. He's won 2 gold glove awards. One at the big league level and one while in Dayton in class A.. He hit .270 in '17.. We could do a LOT worse.. 

(01-30-2019, 03:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: That is a great point.  Maybe Realmuto will help the pitching staff with things like glove placement and his fantastic arm.  I hear Realmuto has the best arm in the league now.  

Yes, Barnhardt is a decent catcher, good defense and not a terrible bat. I don't even know if my concerns about how he handles the pitching staff are founded, but he's been a piece of a bad staff and I'm willing to try changing that piece to improve the pitching.
Reply/Quote
Could be wrong, but our past coaching staff(s) didn't seem to have much of a knack for unlocking potential. Just because a player may not have produced in the past doesn't mean that under the right coaches they will never produce and on the other side of the coin a coach can sometimes unlock potential, but sometimes the players just need talent..  Sometimes coaching is overrated, sometimes it's underrated. No coach can turn a 63 year old guy into a 23 year old superstar.. I think we'll find out in a few years whether the new staff is up to the tasks. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Reds are in "deep" talks with the fish for Realmuto...

https://blogredmachine.com/2019/02/02/reds-rumors-cincinnati-reds-deep-talks-regarding-j-t-realmuto/
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
I have mixed feelings here. My first reaction is not to do it. Reds are talking trading gold glove catcher and too many top players in minors for this catcher. Reds just got out from under Mesoraco contract of all his injuries and came out with gold glove, strong arm to second Barnhart. The Reds minor league players Marlins want are considered some of best in baseball and are suppose to be Reds future. I don't see Realmuto as Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Carlton Fisk, Mike Piazza. I can't see trading this many future key players plus a gold glove catcher for Marlins catcher.

So I'm against it except. Except if Bell wants the trade, he is the new manager and I let him build his team. Otherwise, I'm against trading Gold Glove Barnhart and all these top Reds minor league players for Marlins catcher.

Barnhart plays in Great American SMALL Park. This means he should wack 20 homers and get RBI's plus give Reds Gold Glove catching. Where is the problem ? Reds have other needs. Barnhart is NOT Reds problem. Often I had Barnhart in Fantasy Baseball. He puts up as good of numbers as most catchers each week, and often is one of the better hitting catchers some weeks. What Fantasy Baseball in its stupidity doesn't show is his Gold Glove Defense. I would not trade him and all these others for Marlins catcher. Many weeks Barnhart will put up better hitting numbers than Realmuto, and Barnharts Gold Glove is a constant. If Reds are going for better pitching, you want a Barnhart for Sparky Anderson D up the middle and to manage the pitchers behind the plate.

I would like to see Reds add some of these free agents still out there. If they can get some of these relief pitchers later in free agency on the cheap. why not. Same with some starting pitchers and everyday players still out there. If Reds could get a Gio Gonzalez on the cheap, and if he and Wood have comeback years, Reds would be awesome. Reds made the big moves. I would now be looking at small market players on the cheap that could be steals. I would not mind Brandon Phillips back on the cheap if he accepts that he is no longer an every day player, but a good player to have on the bench. There are still a lot of good names in free agency needing a team and time is running out on them and their agents. Keep Gold Glove Barnhart and focus on some late free agent steals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 01:44 AM)kevin Wrote: I have mixed feelings here.  My first reaction is not to do it.  Reds are talking trading gold glove catcher and too many top players in minors  for this catcher.  Reds just got out from under Mesoraco contract of all his injuries and came out with gold glove, strong arm to second Barnhart.  The Reds minor league players Marlins want are considered some of best in baseball and are suppose to be Reds future.  I don't see Realmuto as Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Carlton Fisk, Mike Piazza.  I can't see trading this many future key players plus a gold glove catcher for Marlins catcher.

So I'm against it except.    Except if Bell wants the trade, he is the new manager and I let him build his team.  Otherwise, I'm against trading Gold Glove Barnhart and all these top Reds minor league players for Marlins catcher.  

Barnhart plays in Great American SMALL Park.  This means he should wack 20 homers and get RBI's plus give Reds Gold Glove catching. Where is the problem ?  Reds have other needs.  Barnhart is NOT Reds problem.  Often I had Barnhart in Fantasy Baseball. He puts up as good of numbers as most catchers each week, and often is one of the better hitting catchers some weeks.  What Fantasy Baseball in its stupidity doesn't show is his Gold Glove Defense.  I would not trade him and all these others for Marlins catcher.  Many weeks Barnhart will put up better hitting numbers than Realmuto, and Barnharts Gold Glove is a constant.   If Reds are going for better pitching, you want a Barnhart for Sparky Anderson D up the middle and to manage the pitchers behind the plate.  

I would like to see Reds add some of these free agents still out there. If they can get some of these relief pitchers later in free agency on the cheap. why not.  Same with some starting pitchers and everyday players still out there.  If Reds could get a Gio Gonzalez on the cheap, and if he and Wood have comeback years, Reds would be awesome.  Reds made the big moves. I would now be looking at small market players on the cheap that could be steals.  I would not mind Brandon Phillips back on the cheap if he accepts that he is no longer an every day player, but a good player to have on the bench.  There are still a lot of good names in free agency needing a team and time is running out on them and their agents.  Keep Gold Glove Barnhart and focus on some late free agent steals.
But what was mentioned before was that glove placement by Realmuto is one of the best and his arm is better than Barnhart.  This trade only works if the reds can get an extension on his contract.  Plus, Realmuto has better offensive numbers and this offense already is going to be great.  

I do wish they would get another elite pitcher but Keuchel is the only one that is decent left and he is not worth the cost.  Kluber may work but the Reds would lose Senzel and I think even if Senzel plays CF well, he moves to 2nd base when Gennett is let go.  Trammell likely will be in the Majors in 2020 in CF.  But his arm strength is not great.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 03:49 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: But what was mentioned before was that glove placement by Realmuto is one of the best and his arm is better than Barnhart.  This trade only works if the reds can get an extension on his contract.  Plus, Realmuto has better offensive numbers and this offense already is going to be great.  

I do wish they would get another elite pitcher but Keuchel is the only one that is decent left and he is not worth the cost.  Kluber may work but the Reds would lose Senzel and I think even if Senzel plays CF well, he moves to 2nd base when Gennett is let go.  Trammell likely will be in the Majors in 2020 in CF.  But his arm strength is not great.  

But Reds.com says Reds may trade Senzel or Trammell along with Barnhart to get Realmuto and that is Foolish.  He really isn't that much better than Barnhart, not to trade all that.  Glove placement ?  Barnhart is a Gold Glove winner, just as good or better on defense.  Barnhart also puts up better hitting numbers than most of today's catchers. DON'T MAKE THIS TRADE. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 06:52 AM)kevin Wrote: But Reds.com says Reds may trade Senzel or Trammell along with Barnhart to get Realmuto and that is Foolish.  He really isn't that much better than Barnhart, not to trade all that.  Glove placement ?  Barnhart is a Gold Glove winner, just as good or better on defense.  Barnhart also puts up better hitting numbers than most of today's catchers. DON'T MAKE THIS TRADE. 
Gloved placement includes framing and helps pitchers gain strikes.  The reds are not going to trade Trammell or senzel.  They would have traded one of those for kluber.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
If the Reds do get Realmuto they'll have two seasons to either sign him longer term or trade him again. His arbitration deal is up after the 2020 season. 

For posting here we need more players with shorter, easier to spell names.. It's only common courtesy you know..  

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 01:02 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Gloved placement includes framing and helps pitchers gain strikes.  The reds are not going to trade Trammell or senzel.  They would have traded one of those for kluber.

Barnhart could have had a glove the size of a barn and Reds awful pitching would have still been awful.  Reds have brought in pitching and pitching coach and Barnhart is a good Gold Glove catcher.  I really hope Reds don't waste time or trade good players on this.  Bell will find out Barnhart is a very good catcher. Reds have too many other areas to improve on to get out of last place. Gold Glove Barnhart is not a problem area.  Sometimes the trades you don't make are the best ones, and this is a trade Reds could regret very fast and for a long time. To trade a good catcher for another catcher but throw top prospects in also, that's just a bad deal. If Realmuto was like Johnny Bench or Carlton Fisk, sure, but he isn't.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't give up any of the big 3 to get him. If it's India and Barnhart, then I'd be on board. India, Barnhart, plus another like Santillan or Guttierez? Meh. That's probably an overpay without and extension for Realmuto. That would make for one hellaciously imposing lineup, though.

If they don't get Realmuto, I'm interested to see how the last weeks of free agency play out. I have to wonder if they'll take a shot at Kuechel, Gio or Kimbrel if they stay out there for the duration.
Reply/Quote
India + Barnhart for Realmuto would be great value for us.

India + Barnhart + a lower prospect such as Keury Mella would be even value for the two teams.

India + Barnhart + Jose Siri/Vlad Gutierrez/Tyler Stephenson would be an overpayment but not a "gross" overpayment.

India + Barnhart + Tony Santillan is a gross overpayment.

Anything else is completely unacceptable.
Reply/Quote
Listening to 1530 on my lunch break, sounds like Realmuto is heading to Philly... Would've been nice, but not by any means a crucial blow to the Reds imo.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 02:35 PM)Takedown Wrote: Listening to 1530 on my lunch break, sounds like Realmuto is heading to Philly... Would've been nice, but not by any means a crucial blow to the Reds imo.

It'll be interesting to see what it cost them.

If they got more than a top 50 prospect and an average major league position player, then we made the right decision to not up our offer.

India + Barnhart was the right package for Realmuto from us. There was no way we could justify giving up any of our top 3 prospects, especially if it needed more than them on top of that.
Reply/Quote
Anyone remember when a .277 average was just sort of average with the Reds? In some seasons I seemed pretty low..  Oh well.. Maybe I was a kid focusing on the highest averages.. Yep, that's it.. 

Reply/Quote
Looks like they wanted a better young catcher than Barnhardt.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25945823/phillies-acquire-catcher-jt-realmuto-marlins
Reply/Quote
It probably worked out for the best for the Reds it was probably a good no trade.plus I think they use the money to sign Gennett or extend Puig
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
I was glad to hear the Reds didn't sign Realmuto. I thought the Marlins wanted too much.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:06 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I was glad to hear the Reds didn't sign Realmuto. I thought the Marlins wanted too much.

I agree.  Barnhart has a presence in the locker room as well.  It would have been nice but extending Gennett or adding another pitcher like Keuchel is better.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote