Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Reggie to Raiders
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000651123/article/raiders-sign-former-bengals-safety-reggie-nelson

All the best Reggie...one of my fave players and a great trade for us
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 09:14 PM)sonofstat Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000651123/article/raiders-sign-former-bengals-safety-reggie-nelson

all I must say is this shawn wiiliams better produce at a higher level than he has!
Goodbye Reg, you WILL be missed!

Reply/Quote
This didn't have to happen. So when our safeties need a breather, Taylor Mays to the rescue? So now the bengals need a DT, DE, WRs, & now FS. Should make an interesting draft strategy for me to complain about.
Reply/Quote
We offered him a 2 year deal as well, i just think it wasn't as a starter necessarily with Shawn being on his
last year before FA. We needed to see what Shawn had in him and he shown something last year in limited
time. I don't see either player having as many interceptions as Reggie had this year.

That doesn't mean that either player will have a worse year either. Ints aren't everything.

I will be watching Reggie in Oakland when the Bengals aren't playing and i will root for him.

Great man, great player, great Bengal. God bless Reggie Nelson.
Reply/Quote
aw shucks. Reggie was a fine Bengal. Loved watching you play ball for the Bengals Reg, Good Luck
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Oh man, I hope this guy wasn't important or nothin'.
Reply/Quote
[img][Image: zz_zpsgrkyehnq.png][/img]
So long Steeler Killer. [Image: crying-sad-waving-bye-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 11:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We offered him a 2 year deal as well, i just think it wasn't as a starter necessarily with Shawn being on his
last year before FA. We needed to see what Shawn had in him and he shown something last year in limited
time. I don't see either player having as many interceptions as Reggie had this year.

That doesn't mean that either player will have a worse year either. Ints aren't everything.

I will be watching Reggie in Oakland when the Bengals aren't playing and i will root for him.

Great man, great player, great Bengal. God bless Reggie Nelson.

Yeah they aren't the only thing. 

Yet they do mean quite a lot.

Coaches don't quote things like "turnovers killed us" for nothing.

I'm not getting pissy with you in particular Nate... but this narrative of "Oh well, so long" that's going around these boards is a bit puzzling.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Other than complain about Reggie not staying I don't know what else anyone can do. I wish he had stayed, but it's a business. I can't really fault the team. They made him an offer, but Oakland upped the ante I guess so Reggie did what he thinks is best for him and his family. I certainly can't fault him for that.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 10:52 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: This didn't have to happen. So when our safeties need a breather, Taylor Mays to the rescue? So now the bengals need a DT, DE, WRs, & now FS. Should make an interesting draft strategy for me to complain about.

They drafted a very talented FS last year, Derron Smith. Maybe you e heard of him? He was on the roster and active for every game. Even got to play in the playoff game after Reggie and Williams got hurt.
Reply/Quote
We messed up letting him go.

Reply/Quote
I find it interesting he went to the coach that tried him at corner, then traded him for a sixer of red stripe.

Oh well, I'm hoping for the voltron of comp picks next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 09:14 PM)sonofstat Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000651123/article/raiders-sign-former-bengals-safety-reggie-nelson

I wish Reggie and his family all the best. He did a great job for us. I also hope he was paid huge bucks so it helps us get another compensary pick in 2017 or get a better one.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm still leaning towards the unsure feelings the team had with his injury + age.

It's just not like the Bengals we know to cut bait on a player like him.

I'm not going to complain though.

For this might be an example of knowing when to let a player go before depletion.

This is coming from a total fan of Reggie.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This is beyond stupid. I bet our offer wasn't that far off from theirs.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Good luck.
Reply/Quote
The patriots are notorious for cutting a player a year too soon rather than a year too late. We have a young capable starter in Williams, at least the staff believes so. If you look at Williams his sample size last year was somewhat small, but if extrapolated out it would have been a very similar season to Reggie. Would it have been nice for him to come back for depth? Sure, but at some point guys move on and I don't think it is going to really hurt the defense.

This defense is built around creating bad throws through pressure. As long as we get pressure we will be fine....it all starts up front.
Reply/Quote
In this interview with Dave Lapham, Dave talks about the Reggie Nelson deal at the 2:25 and 7:30 marks.  Dave says that the Bengals offered Reggie the same money on a per year basis as they gave to Iloka, but the deal fell apart because Reggie’s agent wanted more guaranteed money:

http://www.espn1530.com/onair/james-rapien-56340/my-interview-with-dave-lapham-14566679/
Reply/Quote
Great player and we will miss him. I hope he plays great for Oakland and I think he will.

Salary cap is the issue here.

You cannot resign everyone.

This is the reason why you need to build through the draft.

We will get four comp picks in 2017.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 09:46 AM)Au165 Wrote: This defense is built around creating bad throws through pressure. As long as we get pressure we will be fine....it all starts up front.

Actually we finished dead last in sacks in 2014 and still had a top 5 pass defense.

And I could post a long list of teams where the opposite is true.  Lots of teams get a bunch of sacks and still have weak pass defenses.

I am not saying that pressure doesn't help the pass defense, but as the NFL becomes more of a passing league teams are throwing more short quick routes that don't give the defense time to get to the QB.
Reply/Quote