Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff is a Bengal
(03-19-2021, 04:03 PM)pally Wrote: 1 year contract definitely leaves the door open for Sewell

Yep, I still want them to go OL in the first. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals deal with Riley Reiff is for one year and is worth $7.5M, with $5.5M guaranteed, per source.

Reiff made clear today that the team told him he’d be playing right tackle. A quality addition for his play and his mentorship along a young OL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Hmmmm. Just one year. Surprised Reiff took that.
Reply/Quote
That contract gives us the flexibility to both keep signing in FA, but take the best player when we need to. We aren't stuck to take a tackle at 5, we could wait until the 2nd and get a guy who may take a year to grow into that spot. We could trade back and hope Slater and Darrishaw come to us while getting extra day 2 picks. It puts us in a position where we aren't reaching for need and can take the draft as it falls, which is a draft people are desperate for QB's being able to move back could be really valuable.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 04:07 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Hmmmm. Just one year. Surprised Reiff took that.

Well, Burrow and Hubbard took him to Jeff Ruby's, bought him a steak, got him drunk, got him laid and Ruby offered him a box of stogies, and here he is a Bengal. Love it when a plan comes together.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I would have given him a deal where if he plays well it automatically gives him a second year at a much better number..

That said, I know what he dd. He's betting on himself - he does well and next season when the cap zooms up he can cash in big time.
Reply/Quote
Did Hobson **** up then?

*Reiff (6-6, 305), a 10th-year player out of the University of Iowa, originally was a first-round pick (23rd overall) of the Detroit Lions in 2012. He spent his first four seasons (2012-16) in Detroit before joining the Minnesota Vikings from '17-20. He has played in 135 career games, with 127 starts. His Bengals contract is a two-year deal through the 2022 season.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-sign-five-free-agents
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I hope Hobson is right here.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 04:07 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Hmmmm. Just one year. Surprised Reiff took that.

Lots are taking 1 year deals because of reduced salary cap. Reiff plays RT at a high level for the Bengals this year, then he can return to FA when the new TV deal money kicks in and the salary cap explodes. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 04:09 PM)Au165 Wrote: That contract gives us the flexibility to both keep signing in FA, but take the best player when we need to. We aren't stuck to take a tackle at 5, we could wait until the 2nd and get a guy who may take a year to grow into that spot. We could trade back and hope Slater and Darrishaw come to us while getting extra day 2 picks. It puts us in a position where we aren't reaching for need and can take the draft as it falls, which is a draft people are desperate for QB's being able to move back could be really valuable.

This.

I see alot of people still locked in for Penei Sewell but this signing potentially gives the Bengals 2 drafts and another Free Agency period to add a Right Tackle for 2022. They have the flexibility to take a playmaker at the top of the first and target one of Tackle prospects in the 2nd Round to take over for Reiff after maybe playing Guard in 2021. Even if the gamble doesnt pay off and a tackle not being there  developmental guys like Spencer Brown, D'Ante Smith, or Josh Ball can be had later and they would still have 2022 Free Agency which will again include Riley Reiff or someone else.

Pick #5 is now BPA be that Kyle Pitts, Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, DeVonta Smith, Jalen Waddle, Micah Parsons.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 04:37 PM)Synric Wrote: This.

I see alot of people still locked in for Penei Sewell but this signing potentially gives the Bengals 2 drafts and another Free Agency period to add a Right Tackle for 2022. They have the flexibility to take a playmaker at the top of the first and target one of Tackle prospects in the 2nd Round to take over for Reiff after maybe playing Guard in 2021. Even if the gamble doesnt pay off and a tackle not being there  developmental guys like Spencer Brown, D'Ante Smith, or Josh Ball can be had later and they would still have 2022 Free Agency which will again include Riley Reiff or someone else.

Pick #5 is now BPA be that Kyle Pitts, Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, DeVonta Smith, Jalen Waddle, Micah Parsons.

I want Sewell if he's there. If not, then my pick would be Chase, then Pitts.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 04:37 PM)Synric Wrote: This.

I love Chase and Pitts I just prioritize O-line first. Far as finding a free agent tackle most teams don’t let good young tackles walk and if they do you need to get into a bidding war and pay big money which the Bengals haven’t been willing to do. Going for a tackle in round 2 is risky because the tackle run gets crazy and you probably won’t pick 5 again if you expect things to get better. The other factor is the jury is still out on Williams. I like Williams but he’s played 10 games in 2 years and we still need to see more. Your better off finding a WR in later rounds than you are a quality tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 05:03 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I love Chase and Pitts I just prioritize O-line first. Far as finding a free agent tackle most teams don’t let good young tackles walk and if they do you need to get into a bidding war and pay big money which the Bengals haven’t been willing to do. Going for a tackle in round 2 is risky because the tackle run gets crazy and you probably won’t pick 5 again if you expect things to get better. The other factor is the jury is still out on Williams. I like Williams but he’s played 10 games in 2 years and we still need to see more. Your better off finding a WR in later rounds than you are a quality tackle.

Yeah, if he's there it almost has to be Sewell.  There will be good tackles in the second (hopefully), and we'll have next year's draft, but will any of those tackles be Penei Sewell caliber prospects?  We got a lot of really good pros in FA to fill holes, but we still need some elite-level talent on this team.  To me, that means it's Sewell, Chase, or disappointment.  We really need 3 quarterbacks to go in the top 4.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 06:45 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, if he's there it almost has to be Sewell.  There will be good tackles in the second (hopefully), and we'll have next year's draft, but will any of those tackles be Penei Sewell caliber prospects?  We got a lot of really good pros in FA to fill holes, but we still need some elite-level talent on this team.  To me, that means it's Sewell, Chase, or disappointment.  We really need 3 quarterbacks to go in the top 4.

Agree hoping for 3 QB’s. The Falcons are the wild card to me I have no idea which direction they’ll go. If Chase and Sewell are gone I’m leaning towards Pitts.
Reply/Quote
Great pickup imo. He and Jonah could be a really nice pair - bookends. Get Hopkins healthy, figure out the guards, BOOM. This offense can be dangerous with pass pro. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 07:44 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Great pickup imo. He and Jonah could be a really nice pair - bookends. Get Hopkins healthy, figure out the guards, BOOM. This offense can be dangerous with pass pro. 

I've always liked a really nice pair. And yes, Jonah could be a great pairing with Reiff.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 07:44 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Great pickup imo. He and Jonah could be a really nice pair - bookends. Get Hopkins healthy, figure out the guards, BOOM. This offense can be dangerous with pass pro. 

WFS and Sewell
Reply/Quote
Jay Morrison posted an article tonight mentioning a 2 year deal as well. Someone below the article said the 2nd year is voidable. I'd say that's good news if true.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:21 AM)Synric Wrote: Every few years theres an Free Agent I believe is just a perfect fit for the Bengals "Need, Position, Talent, and Price". It was last year and his name was Jack Conklin. The Bengals should be kicking theirselves right now over not getting Conklin.

To OP: Riley Reiff is a solid fit this year been saying it for a couple weeks now lol. I'm very happy they locked him up.

Don't even get me started... Rant

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just asked a Vikes fan on another board how Reiff was last season and he claims “not good.”

I see he only gave up 1 sack and 1 penalty in over 1k snaps. Sounds good to me.

Kind of an older Jonah clone type. Good, above average overall. Better pass blocker than run blocker. This past year he finished 11th in pass block efficiency and was #15 in least amount of pressure given up. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote