Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff will play RT
(03-19-2021, 12:57 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I still think we need to draft OL, but how is he short term? You guys act like this guy is 40 years old.

Yeah, I had to look up his age after some of these posts. At 32 he should have at least a few more good years left. That’s not really that short by NFL standards. A lot can happen by the time we need to replace him (assuming it’s a 2-3 year deal).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 12:57 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I still think we need to draft OL, but how is he short term? You guys act like this guy is 40 years old.

You have to consider contract length (any word on that?) , and not every Tackle ages like Whitworth.

I think he'll be fine for 2-3 years, but if you consider "long term" to be any longer than that...no.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It was a solid first season. I was just saying if that's his ceiling, we'd consider him disappointing. He has to progress both with staying healthy and performance. That's not to say his 2020 performance was bad...I just expect a lot out of the top tackle off the board.

I'd agree with that...but he was playing LT pretty much on an island. When we ran any chip blocks, they had to be on Bobby Hart's side. TE help? Bobby Hart. They threw him to the wolves and he held his own. He was pretty good pass blocking, needs work run blocking for sure. With Pollack here, and another year behind him, I'd hope he makes a pretty sizeable step this season. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 12:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm absolutely taking Sewell if he's there.

I'm still in that camp.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 12:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: PFF has Hart giving up 4 sacks last year (and that’s with missing a couple games).

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/bobby-hart/9659

Hart actually had one of the higher snap counts.. his sacks per play was I believe a average or in middle of pack of tackles with sacks.. the real weak link of the line was guard play last year.. we still need to address that in the draft or another FA pickup
Reply/Quote
Depending on what else happens in FA.. we more likely will still be going Oline with in 1st round..
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You have to consider contract length (any word on that?) , and not every Tackle ages like Whitworth.

I think he'll be fine for 2-3 years, but if you consider "long term" to be any longer than that...no.

He will be 35 in 3 years. I think that’s enough to consider long-term as most contracts are around the 3-4 year mark. Maybe he is done maybe he has more years, but when I think short term, I think stop-gap, 1 year.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Depending on what else happens in FA.. we more likely will still be going Oline with in 1st round..

I’m still okay with that. Would rather have top notch Oline, with solid WR duo and some other pieces. Look at the super bowl. Mahomes has arguably the most talented pass catchers and could do nothing because of their bad protection.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 12:56 PM)J24 Wrote: Reiff is a short term solution; we still  need a long-term solution. 

Depends what Reiff's contract ends up being.
If it's 2-3 years, the Bengals can get a new OT next year or year after.
Why have an OT picked at 5 either waste a year (or two) of rookie contract by sitting the bench or playing IOL?
I'm fine if the Bengals want to get an OL at 5, but I'd want that player to start Week 1 and play the position they are envisioned to play for the long term.
If the plan is to have Jonah Williams as LT and Reiff as RT for 2+ years, get an OL after Rd 1 to play OG or groom behind them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Depends what Reiff's contract ends up being.
If it's 2-3 years, the Bengals can get a new OT next year.
Why have an OT picked at 5 either waste a year (or two) of rookie contract by sitting the bench or playing IOL?
I'm fine if the Bengals want to get an OL at 5, but I'd want that player to start Week 1 and play the position they are envisioned to play for the long term.
If the plan is to have Jonah Williams as LT and Reiff as RT for 2+ years, get an OL after Rd 1 to play OG or groom behind them.
If Sewell is as advertised then you have zero choice but to draft him and then figure out the rest on the offensive line.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:19 PM)J24 Wrote: If Sewell is as advertised then you have zero choice but to draft him and then figure out the rest on the offensive line.

You and I both know the Bengals don't operate that way.
I think people are believing what they want and not actually listening to what Zac Taylor and others on the team are directly saying, which is Jonah Williams is the team's LT and Riley Reiff is the team's RT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: .. the real weak link of the line was guard play last year.. we still need to address that in the draft or another FA pickup

That's an excellent point.  Guards can make tackles look good but the converse is not true.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You and I both know the Bengals don't operate that way.
I think people are believing what they want and not actually listening to what Zac Taylor and others on the team are directly saying, which is Jonah Williams is the team's LT and Riley Reiff is the team's RT.

If you can get the next Munoz you do it no questions asked. I don't think there is a chance he will be there at 5 but he is the pick if there.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 12:07 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Jonah shouldn’t be moved.

Are we setting up to trade back in tge draft? I think that is the best scenario now.

Hell yes he should short arms and not THAT big. Williams would be an elite RG. The Bengals should take Sewell or Darrisaw for LT and bump Williams inside.

O line FIXED... WITH Spain at Center.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:22 PM)J24 Wrote: If you can get the next Munoz you do it no questions asked. I don't think there is a chance he will be there at 5 but he is the pick if there.

I thought there was more of a chance of him being at 5 until both NYJ and MIA just signed some WRs.
MIA got Fuller, NYJ got Davis, Keelan Cole, and possibly JJSS.
The likelihood either take WRs now is lower because of FA signings. Jets might take Pitts, but MIA won't because of Gesicki.
I would guess the most likely landing spot for Sewell is NYJ, as they may want to shift Fant to OG and have Sewell opposite of Becton.
There's also the possibility someone trades up ahead of the Bengals to take Sewell, a la DET jumping them 3 years ago to steal Ragnow.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Jonah played well last season and it was a fluky injury not a persistent one. Remember that for a lot of his time in the lineup he had MJ next to him - possibly the worst Guard in football (and I do not care what PFF says; I know what my eyes told me).
Reply/Quote
I'm still of the opinion that we should get two more OL in FA. First, we need a quality center, who would ideally not only fill in for Hopkins while he still recovers from his injury, but hopefully would be an upgrade over him. Second, I still believe we need a good guard to upgrade over XSF/ Jordan. Add in the fact that injuries seem to hit a particular position group in bunches the last couple years, I would like a lot of quality depth in place which we don't have right now. I hope JW and RR stay healthy and play all the games this year at a high level, but I'm hedging my bets by getting two more versatile C/G, G/T types, along with drafting one more OL (Sewell or Slater in the first in that order) or if we take Chase/Pitts in the first, get a versatile OL in the second or third. And a good DL in the second or third, so that rotation also gets reinforced.

I want the Bengals to try to have plenty of depth on the OL to make sure that JB can get time in the pocket, even if one or two of our first day starters get injured at some time during the year.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: Jonah played well last season and it was a fluky injury not a persistent one. Remember that for a lot of his time in the lineup he had MJ next to him - possibly the worst Guard in football (and I do not care what PFF says; I know what my eyes told me).

Some of Eifert's season ending injuries were "flukes" too, and we saw how that story ended.

Just saying, two back-to-back early-exit seasons is a concern.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:31 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I'm still off the opinion that we should get two more OL in FA. First, we need a quality center, who would ideally not only fill in for Hopkins while he still recovers from his injury, but hopefully would be an upgrade over him. Second, I still believe we need a good guard to upgrade over XSF/ Jordan. Add in the fact that injuries seem to hit a particular position group in bunches the last couple years, I would like a lot of quality depth in place which we don't have right now. I hope JW and RR stay healthy and play all the games this year at a high level, but I'm hedging my bets by getting two more versatile C/G, G/T types, along with drafting one more OL (Sewell or Slater in the first in that order) or if we take Chase/Pitts in the first, get a versatile OL in the second or third. And a good DL in the second or third.

I want the Bengals to try to have plenty of depth on the OL to make sure that JB can get time in the pocket, even if one or two of our first day starters get injured at some time during the year.

There’s no centers worth going after now, guards too
Reply/Quote
I still think considering anything other than Sewell or a trade back is WE TA DID.
Reply/Quote