Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reliable Source Says Tee Wants To Stay Here, Likely Tagged
The source is a random poster that I don't know from a Bengals Facebook group that I'm in, so it's reliable ThumbsUp

Hilarious

It just says that the rumor is that "definitely wants to stay in Cinci" and that he'll most likely tag him. There won't be a new deal until the tag expires but both sides would like to work on a deal.

That makes sense for him because, with Chasing being up for a new deal this offseason, they're likely not going to give two big receivers big contracts at once when we're so close to getting over the hump and the money could be spent elsewhere and on the other extensions, especially Chase.

Not much but hopefully it's somewhat true because, if Higgins is saying he's ok with it this soon, the offseason will go a lot more smoothly!
Reply/Quote
There is absolutely no reason not to tag him unless they miraculously have a new contract signed before the tag deadline.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 05:35 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: There is absolutely no reason not to tag him unless they miraculously have a new contract signed before the tag deadline.

Because most players don't like it so we might not want to make him mad, but, like I said, it sounds like he doesn't mind.
Reply/Quote
Considering Tee has said that publically to the media, your source might actually be correct

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 05:35 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: There is absolutely no reason not to tag him unless they miraculously have a new contract signed before the tag deadline.

Him not being worth the tag amount is a good reason not to tag him. 

Money is better off spent elsewhere. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 05:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because most players don't like it so we might not want to make him mad, but, like I said, it sounds like he doesn't mind.

This isnt false, but it is kind of disingenuous.  The franchise tag is part of their contract that they signed.  The players association agreed to it. This isnt something the owners are forcing the players to do.  Contracts can, and have been, written that prevent a franchise tag. 

Players can be mad all they want, but they signed up for the possibility of being tagged.  It is is a very good rule that helps maintain balance.

Reply/Quote
I'm sure Tee would like to stay, all things being equal.

Question is, is he going to sign for WR2 money or hold out for WR1 money. If it's the former, the deal would've been done already. If it's the latter, good luck to him.
Reply/Quote
The solid thing to do for Tee is Transition Tag him. Let someone else set the Market for him and we can match. Or if he wants to stay for Transition Amount he can do that.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm only questioning the tag given his hamstring issues that seem to have lingered throughout his career.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 05:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This isnt false, but it is kind of disingenuous.  The franchise tag is part of their contract that they signed.  The players association agreed to it. This isnt something the owners are forcing the players to do.  Contracts can, and have been, written that prevent a franchise tag. 

Players can be mad all they want, but they signed up for the possibility of being tagged.  It is is a very good rule that helps maintain balance.
I had completely forgotten about that but it is smart of him then to just say he's happy about it and everything, but let's hope he actually is and understands that it's just the business of the game, not personal.
(01-17-2024, 06:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm only questioning the tag given his hamstring issues that seem to have lingered throughout his career.

With everything with Burrow's health right now, I'm nervous about anyone with anything injury related.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 06:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The solid thing to do for Tee is Transition Tag him. Let someone else set the Market for him and we can match. Or if he wants to stay for Transition Amount he can do that.

That is the best idea for both sides because it gives both the opportunity for the same thing with the same positive outcome.
Reply/Quote
I didn’t expect us to get Pratt and Wilson both signed to extensions last year.

Hopefully the sweet surprise this year is locking up Tee and Chase long term.

If Tee isn’t extended before the tag deadline I fully expect the tag.

Chase and Tee > Chad and TJ

Neither is a diva me-first problem causing WR. We need to keep them together for years to come. This is a pass first league where stud WRs can make a big difference. Having a top duo is a good problem to have.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 06:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm only questioning the tag given his hamstring issues that seem to have lingered throughout his career.

And the terrible season he had, especially the drops.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 06:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I didn’t expect us to get Pratt and Wilson both signed to extensions last year.

Hopefully the sweet surprise this year is locking up Tee and Chase long term.

If Tee isn’t extended before the tag deadline I fully expect the tag.

Chase and Tee > Chad and TJ

Neither is a diva me-first problem causing WR. We need to keep them together for years to come. This is a pass first league where stud WRs can make a big difference. Having a top duo is a good problem to have.

Exactly. 

TJ was just a possession receiver but Tee can do a lot more and he's still not a diva.

Find a way to keep protect Burrow and keep him healthy and those three would bring us many ships.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 06:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Chase and Tee > Chad and TJ

Disagree.

At his peak Chad was the best WR in the NFL over a 3 year span. Chase is great, but he's never been the best in the NFL even one year (there's still time for him to do so).

Housh was putting up the same type of numbers as Tee  despite being in a less passing-friendly time (2005 there were only 2 QBs with 4,000+ yards and 0 with 4,200+ yards) and also in a time when you would absolutely get murdered going across the middle by Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Troy Polamalu, and James Harrison and there wasn't a flag you'd just get put on an ESPN highlight reel of getting Jacked Up. Tee would fall apart if he had to play in the '00s AFCN... unless you mean the very start of Housh's career, in which case sure, the 33rd pick started better than the 7th round 204th pick. Lol

I think we can also all agree that Burrow is better than Palmer, too.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 07:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly. 

TJ was just a possession receiver but Tee can do a lot more and he's still not a diva.

Find a way to keep protect Burrow and keep him healthy and those three would bring us many ships.

By that reductionism, Tee is just a jumpball receiver with minimal YAC ability and Housh could do a lot more and wasn't fragile. 

Huh, it's apparently that easy.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 06:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The solid thing to do for Tee is Transition Tag him. Let someone else set the Market for him and we can match. Or if he wants to stay for Transition Amount he can do that.

The transition tag could leave us with nothing (comp pick) if we do not match. The normal franchise tag (non-exclusive) allows Tee to negotiate with other teams and if we do not match, the other team can sign him but we get two 1st Round picks if they do...

Why do you prefer the transition?

Reply/Quote
Pretty sure we heard the same with AJ Green when he ended up getting tagged.
What did we see that year?
A WR was still taken super early (Higgins) and played a good amount while AJ Green cost the team $18.1 mill for a 1-year rental.

Personally, unless there can be a guarantee Higgins is signed to a long-term contract, I don't want to see $20+ mill going toward a 1-year rental, especially if a draft pick is invested in Rds 1-2 as well.

Either sign him to a new deal or let him walk and get a new guy in the draft or outside FA to replace.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Tee's availability should be viewed as a concern. When he is on and focused he is great, but that doesn't happen a ton unfortunately. I think a tag could make sense to see if he can stay healthy but I also wouldn't hate moving on either. This draft is again super deep with a lot of good talent there for us on day 2.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 07:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Pretty sure we heard the same with AJ Green when he ended up getting tagged.
What did we see that year?
A WR was still taken super early (Higgins) and played a good amount while AJ Green cost the team $18.1 mill for a 1-year rental.

Personally, unless there can be a guarantee Higgins is signed to a long-term contract, I don't want to see $20+ mill going toward a 1-year rental, especially if a draft pick is invested in Rds 1-2 as well.

Either sign him to a new deal or let him walk and get a new guy in the draft or outside FA to replace.

I would be perfectly fine if we tagged Tee and drafted Brian Thomas Jr.  Those 2 on the outside and Chase in the slot would be dynamic for a Supper Bowl run.   Thomas is a more athletic, faster version of Tee.  

Let Tee walk the following season and we have Thomas with a year of experience and 4 more years on his contract.  This would also follow the Bengals plan to draft for the 2nd year instead of the rookie season. I vastly prefer this rather than counting on Iosivas or Jones to be counted on as a starter. 

I am assuming we address RT and DT in free agency. 

Reply/Quote