Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remarkable similarities between the Bengals and Rams
I was poking around the base statistics, and I was amazed at some of these similarities:

Defensive rankings
Overall (yardage):
Bengals 18th (350.8)
Rams 17th (344.9)

*Overall (yards per play):
Bengals T21st (5.5)
Rams T10th (5.2)

Overall (scoring):
Bengals 17th (22.1)
Rams T16th (21.9)

Rushing yardage:
Bengals 5th (102.5)
Rams 6th (103.2)

*Rushing yards per carry:
Bengals T17th (4.3)
Rams T7th (4.0)

Passing yardage:
Bengals 26th (248.4)
Rams 22nd (241.7)

Net yards per pass attempt allowed (includes sacks):
Bengals T22nd (6.3)
Rams T16th (6.1)

Team sacks:
Bengals 12th (42; 50 with playoffs)
Rams 3rd (50; 55 with playoffs)

Offensive rankings
Overall (yardage):
Bengals 13th (361.5)
Rams 9th (372.1)

Overall (yards per play):
Bengals T7th (5.9)
Rams T4th (6.0)

Overall (scoring):
Bengals T8th (27.1)
Rams T8th (27.1)

Rushing yardage:
Bengals 23rd (102.5)
Rams 25th (99.0)

Rushing yards per carry:
Bengals T26th (4.0)
Rams T26th (4.0)

Passing yardage:
Bengals 7th (259.0)
Rams 5th (273.1)

Passing yards per attempt:
Joe Burrow 1st (8.9)
Matt Stafford 3rd (8.1)

Net yards per pass attempt (includes sacks):
Bengals 3rd (7.2)
Rams 2nd (7.3)

*Not all of these are close. Asterisks denote separation.

Before someone gives me the usual "it's all on the football field, the numbers don't matter" -- please spare me. I agree. Nonetheless, I thought this stuff was interesting and to some extent a little surprising. On paper these teams are very close together even if separated by two games in the win column.
Reply/Quote
These 2 teams are pretty evenly matched. Both have a top WR, both have a dominant pass rusher, both have a #1 CB that can shut it down, Mixon is better than any of their RB’s, our safeties are better (they literally signed Weddle off the street), Rams are probably better on both lines overall (although Whit is a bit of a weakness at this point), but most importantly - we have the better QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think that with the Bucs' injuries/departures, one could easily argue that the two best wide receiver corps in the NFL are meeting in the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 09:46 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I think that with the Bucs' injuries/departures, one could easily argue that the two best wide receiver corps in the NFL are meeting in the Super Bowl.

The final 4 was crazy with elite WR’s. Chase, Kupp, Hill, Deebo.

Reply/Quote
Pretty close indeed. I'm curious why you didn't include sacks surrendered on offense though (you did include total sacks for the defense).
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:19 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Pretty close indeed. I'm curious why you didn't include sacks surrendered on offense though (you did include total sacks for the defense).

I forgot about it. I have a feeling that one isn't super close! Let's see...

51 times for Burrow in 16 games (3.2 per game) -- most in the league
30 times for Stafford in 17 games (1.8 per game) -- T20th in the league

Clearly the offensive line must be closer to its performances against Las Vegas and Kansas City than it was against Tennessee for an optimal game (and Burrow himself holding the ball).
Reply/Quote
Yep the only place they really have edge was in team sacks.

That was just by 8 in the entire season which is slightly less than a half a sack a game.

Seems pretty tight but we've got Joe Burrow to tip the scale in our favor.

Bengals got this !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:25 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I forgot about it. I have a feeling that one isn't super close! Let's see...

Clearly the offensive line must be closer to its performances against Las Vegas and Kansas City than it was against Tennessee for an optimal game (and Burrow himself holding the ball).

It's all good. Yeah that's actually closer in rankings than I would think. But 21 sacks is a big difference. And if you include post-season I think the gap widens into the 30s. 

The categories you starred were actually pretty close numbers-wise but the ranking was a bigger difference.

(01-31-2022, 10:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep the only place they really have edge was in team sacks.

That was just by 8 in the entire season which is slightly less than a half a sack a game.

Seems pretty tight but we've got Joe Burrow to tip the scale in our favor.

Bengals got this !

Stafford is probably the most under-rated QB in the league though. The defense will have to step up big time for us to win in my opinion. The offensive line as well. 

To me I see our offense struggling like we did against the Titans. But the Rams have a much better offense/QB (than the Titans). Fingers crossed. Would be pretty cool to see us pull it out--especially because we have a great chance at making the Super Bowl next year.
Reply/Quote
Awesome comparison.

It really makes it look like it comes down our line. Can they protect?
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:25 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I forgot about it. I have a feeling that one isn't super close! Let's see...

Can we get Whit to switch sides right before the game. 

All kidding aside very happy that Whit is going to another SB and proving his worth.

How Bengals ever let him get away is beyond me, should have retired in a Bengals uni.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think the question is less "can the Bengals offensive line protect Burrow?" and more "can the wide receivers get open fast enough to allow him to get rid of the ball quickly on a consistent basis" and "can the receivers then turn those plays up with YAC?"

Regardless, whatever questions are most appropriate, the answers will be "yes". These Bengals win.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Can we get Whit to switch sides right before the game. 

All kidding aside very happy that Whit is going to another SB and proving his worth.

How Bengals ever let him get away is beyond me, should have retired in a Bengals uni.

In all seriousness Andrew Whitworth will be lined up opposite Trey Hendrickson. That will be an epic battle to watch.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Can we get Whit to switch sides right before the game.

I certainly hope not, because Jonah is WAAAAY better at this point. Whit looked terrible against SF. And it won’t get any easier against Hendrickson.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I certainly hope not, because Jonah is WAAAAY better at this point. Whit looked terrible against SF. And it won’t get any easier against Hendrickson.

Whit is a pretty good guard as well and doubting he would be the worst on our OL.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Whit is a pretty good guard as well and doubting he would be the worst on our OL.

I’d plug him in at RG if he wants to trade himself before the game. LOL

I just wouldn’t want him protecting Burrow’s blindside. I didn’t watch the entire NFCCG, but Whit was really struggling from what I did see.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In all seriousness Andrew Whitworth will be lined up opposite Trey Hendrickson.  That will be an epic battle to watch.

Indeed it will be 

Even though Whit is on the decline he will always have a piece of my heart. 

Remember running into him at Chic fil A in Louisville and he was as a nice as he could be as well. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d plug him in at RG if he wants to trade himself before the game. LOL

I just wouldn’t want him protecting Burrow’s blindside. I didn’t watch the entire NFCCG, but Whit was really struggling from what I did see.

Whitworth was coming off an injury I believe. He has two weeks to rest up. 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:41 PM)Nepa Wrote: Whitworth was coming off an injury I believe. He has two weeks to rest up. 

Eh, he’s still ancient. And was finally showing his age even before the injury.

I love Whit btw, but shit gets real when it’s for the Lombardi. Wink

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I certainly hope not, because Jonah is WAAAAY better at this point. Whit looked terrible against SF. And it won’t get any easier against Hendrickson.

I would actually LOVE to have him on a 1 year deal, as our swing tackle next year.

Can always dream!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It’s also crazy that both teams #1 tight ends both got hurt in the first quarter with the exact same injuries.
Reply/Quote