Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reopening Schools
(07-16-2020, 10:23 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Let me ask this.  Would you allow  communities to vote on a levy that increases funding for their school?  What i mean is, say the state takes over funding of schools and allocates money per student equally across the state.  Could people vote themselves higher taxes to pay teachers more or what have you?

This kind of highlights the issue with equal funding. Some schools need far, far more to make up for decades of deficits as well as deficits that are a result of their life outside of school.

However, in a scenario where schools get an equitable amount of funding, teacher pay could be set by the state with teachers being paid more to teach in higher risk schools, rather than the better counties being able to keep getting the better teachers by paying more. 

Granted, I teach in the 3rd wealthiest county in the nation, but I also teach at my old school (where I was one of the poor kids who lives in the neighborhoods on the very edge of the border with a not as nice county) so I feel a sense of connection to it and wouldn't leave for better pay. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 11:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: Absolutely.  Our have fundraisers but very few are for tuition assistance directly for the students.  More for just keeping the schools running so they don't have to raise tuition to do it.  Ends up being the same concept.

The school my son went to is in a upper middle class neighborhood.  Now while they get kids from all over the city, there's enough families from the more well to do areas around the school that they can raise enough money to help a lot of kids with the high tuition.  But what really pissed me off was paying $15,000 a year and getting an email asking for help saying my son's tuition doesn't cover the full cost of educating him.  Eff you.  Then you are doing something wrong.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 11:24 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This kind of highlights the issue with equal funding. Some schools need far, far more to make up for decades of deficits as well as deficits that are a result of their life outside of school.

However, in a scenario where schools get an equitable amount of funding, teacher pay could be set by the state with teachers being paid more to teach in higher risk schools, rather than the better counties being able to keep getting the better teachers by paying more. 

Granted, I teach in the 3rd wealthiest county in the nation, but I also teach at my old school (where I was one of the poor kids who lives in the neighborhoods on the very edge of the border with a not as nice county) so I feel a sense of connection to it and wouldn't leave for better pay. 

OK I'm fine with all of that.  Bring schools up to where they need to be, then do equal funding per year plus any needs such as new buildings as they arise.   I still think people should be able to add on if they choose to.   And yes maybe have a state set salary how you described so the ones who choose to pay more can't steal good teachers with salaries they can't refuse.  So I'd have to amend my above post to not include higher pay for teachers.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 11:15 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess they could just donate money to the district.

This.

There are a lot of details that would need to be worked out.  For example it would cost a lot more to buy land to build a school in Cincinnati than out in the middle of rural Ohio.  But what it would boil down to is providing the same level of education for all students.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 11:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK I'm fine with all of that.  Bring schools up to where they need to be, then do equal funding per year plus any needs such as new buildings as they arise.   I still think people should be able to add on if they choose to.   And yes maybe have a state set salary how you described so the ones who choose to pay more can't steal good teachers with salaries they can't refuse.  So I'd have to amend my above post to not include higher pay for teachers.

In Maryland, you have to formally resign or announce your intention to resign and transfer from your post by a certain date or you are locked out of getting a job in any other county the next year. This prevents counties from stealing teachers right before the school year starts.

I do like the idea of counties being allowed to supplement funding. The prospect of more teacher friendly practices and school cultures would also be another big draw over pay, so pay alone won't discourage teachers from being recruited. 

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2020, 11:43 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: In Maryland, you have to formally resign or announce your intention to resign and transfer from your post by a certain date or you are locked out of getting a job in any other county the next year. This prevents counties from stealing teachers right before the school year starts.

I do like the idea of counties being allowed to supplement funding. The prospect of more teacher friendly practices and school cultures would also be another big draw over pay, so pay alone won't discourage teachers from being recruited. 

That makes sense.  Every teacher is different and looks for different things.  Some people may teach in poorer districts because that's why they became teachers.  Others would prefer the nicest working conditions they can get, and still others will go where they can make the most.  

Reply/Quote
Our county will be 100% online for the first semester.

Reply/Quote
My kids were supposed to start back to school next week.  they went to orientation last night and it was annouced that the opening was delayed until September.  This is my daughter's senior year.  She is afraid it will be ruined.  She is an exceptional student (straight A's in advanced placement classes and a 34 on the ACT) and planning on competing for scholarships.  She is really concerned about how this will effect her.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 09:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My kids were supposed to start back to school next week.  they went to orientation last night and it was annouced that the opening was delayed until September.  This is my daughter's senior year.  She is afraid it will be ruined.  She is an exceptional student (straight A's in advanced placement classes and a 34 on the ACT) and planning on competing for scholarships.  She is really concerned about how this will effect her.

I've got just the deal for you.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 04:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've got just the deal for you.

Okay.  Let me hear it.
Reply/Quote
The Trump admin is blocking the CDC director from talking to the House about school reopening.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/507876-white-house-blocks-cdc-director-from-testifying-before-house-panel-on

House Education and Labor Committee Chairman Bobby Scott (D-Va.) sent Redfield a letter last week asking him or a CDC designee to testify at a hearing on how K-12 public schools can reopen for in-person classroom instruction this fall. But on Friday, Scott said his panel had been informed that the Trump administration would not allow CDC testimony at the hearing planned for next week.

Reply/Quote
https://apnews.com/ecc4a3f87122f943f03fe07e37b2bf1b?fbclid=IwAR3CmYdNScVde_yh9kgLJHB9WWepYHRsz0HgvErA7PdMetP2PxHY-2fkUhY

Iowa’s Governor is overriding local districts and forcing them to spend at least half the week in school

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 10:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://apnews.com/ecc4a3f87122f943f03fe07e37b2bf1b?fbclid=IwAR3CmYdNScVde_yh9kgLJHB9WWepYHRsz0HgvErA7PdMetP2PxHY-2fkUhY

Iowa’s Governor is overriding local districts and forcing them to spend at least half the week in school

But, it’s best to let them decide locally what’s best for them.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 06:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The Trump admin is blocking the CDC director from talking to the House about school reopening.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/507876-white-house-blocks-cdc-director-from-testifying-before-house-panel-on

House Education and Labor Committee Chairman Bobby Scott (D-Va.) sent Redfield a letter last week asking him or a CDC designee to testify at a hearing on how K-12 public schools can reopen for in-person classroom instruction this fall. But on Friday, Scott said his panel had been informed that the Trump administration would not allow CDC testimony at the hearing planned for next week.

Yeah, why would we want Congress to talk to experts about keeping schools safe during the pandemic?
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 02:03 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, it’s best to let them decide locally what’s best for them.

and of course DeVos and the Trump DoE championed online learning for years, with her even saying last year that too many questions are considered non-negotiable by schools but should be asked, like “Why do students have to go to a school building in the first place?”and promoted virtual charter schools as a good alternative to traditional education.

The DoE could be connecting states with these virtual charter school to help advise states on how to effectively use distance learning... but they're not. 

Reply/Quote
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/07/17/kellyanne-conway-trump-son-return-to-school-sot-nr-vpx.cnn

Asked if Barron is going to school in person, Kellyanne Conway replies

“That’s a personal decision. I don’t know what Barron’s school has decided and I certainly do not know what the first couple has decided with respect to their teenage son who I believe is entering high school this year.”

“We also recognize that not all school districts are the same, not all the hot spots are the same, so there is no one size fits all“

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 02:05 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, why would we want Congress  to talk to experts about keeping schools safe during the pandemic?

It's nice of Trump to let us know that we can add the CDC to the ever-growing list of organizations that are the enemy of the people.  Trump sort of reminds me of an abusive spouse now who is plainly telling us that we no longer need to be talking to that pesky group of family and friends we used to have...they're all out to get you, you see.

Yes, yes...that's right...only me....you can trust only me! You're right dear, I had no idea everyone I got along with before you, someone who can't maintain a stable relationship with anyone, came into my life. Yes, this all makes sense now. I agree, we SHOULD move far away so you are the only person I know within a 1000 mile radius!
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 02:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: and of course DeVos and the Trump DoE championed online learning for years, with her even saying last year that too many questions are considered non-negotiable by schools but should be asked, like “Why do students have to go to a school building in the first place?”and promoted virtual charter schools as a good alternative to traditional education.

The DoE could be connecting states with these virtual charter school to help advise states on how to effectively use distance learning... but they're not. 

It's almost as if, now bear with me, they don't actually give a shit about education in the country.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 07:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's almost as if, now bear with me, they don't actually give a shit about education in the country.

It's almost like they don't give a shit about nearly anything in the country. 

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 10:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/07/17/kellyanne-conway-trump-son-return-to-school-sot-nr-vpx.cnn

Asked if Barron is going to school in person, Kellyanne Conway replies

“That’s a personal decision. I don’t know what Barron’s school has decided and I certainly do not know what the first couple has decided with respect to their teenage son who I believe is entering high school this year.”

“We also recognize that not all school districts are the same, not all the hot spots are the same, so there is no one size fits all“

I hope they don’t let science stand in the way.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5454168002
Reply/Quote