Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Bengals are interested in Warford
(05-13-2020, 11:44 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yep, Watford played high school ball in the town I live in now....would be cool to see him in stripes. We could use his veteran presence for sure.

Earl Watford and Larry Warford are two different offensive lineman.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 01:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Rumor mill has him asking for $7. He won't ask for $12. His contract is over $5 mil in dead cap to the Saints. I am guessing that is his guarantee/pro-rated signing bonus amount for the year. Whatever he is making.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/larry-warford-12346/

He is asking for $7, which makes sense. 7 + 5 = 12. Which is what he was due to make before he got cut. No way he is asking for $12 on top of his $5. 

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/11/saints-cut-larry-warford-contract-nfl-free-agency-reports/

Warford got a contract with an average yearly pay of $8.5 million BEFORE he ever made a single Pro Bowl.  It is hard for me to understand him taking a pay cut after three straight Pro Bowl appearances.  But it also seems like the Saints would keep him.  They don't really gain much salary cap relief by cutting him.

His 2017 contract with the Saints was 4 yr, $34 million.  He received $25.5 million of that so he was still due to get $8.5 million this year.  I think he would want at least that much to sign with another team.  But supply and demand will determine what he actually gets.       
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 12:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I would assume that asking price got as low as a 7th or even a conditional pick.  Why cut someone if you could get anything for him?

If teams were unwilling to part with that low of compensation that I would have to believe that his market is at or below what teams would have taken on in salary in a trade.

So I think he's probably looking at 7 mil max.  And I think that's a pretty fair assumption. I'm not sure how he, nor his agent, could expect anything greater, given the lack of suitors in the trade market.

Sounds like the situation with a red haired QB we all know and love. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 01:59 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Earl Watford and Larry Warford are two different offensive lineman.

Don't know Earl, but Larry played his Junior and Senior year here. I think his dad was a military guy that retired and moved here from San Diego.

Edit: Oops! Just saw my typo ....lol. Good catch

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 02:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Warford got a contract with an average yearly pay of $8.5 million BEFORE he ever made a single Pro Bowl.  It is hard for me to understand him taking a pay cut after three straight Pro Bowl appearances.  But it also seems like the Saints would keep him.  They don't really gain much salary cap relief by cutting him.

His 2017 contract with the Saints was 4 yr, $34 million.  He received $25.5 million of that so he was still due to get $8.5 million this year.  I think he would want at least that much to sign with another team.  But supply and demand will determine what he actually gets.       

I think your numbers are off due to upfront and roster bonuses he received.  He received a bonus in year 1 alone of 8.5 million.

I think he was only due around 6 million in year 4 and Saints had to eat (dead cap) money.

Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 04:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think your numbers are off due to upfront and roster bonuses he received.  He received a bonus in year 1 alone of 8.5 million.

I think he was only due around 6 million in year 4 and Saints had to eat (dead cap) money.

I got my number from the link in your post.  Click on "career earnings" and it will show exactly how much money he got.
Reply/Quote
PLEASE GOD SIGN HIM. WE NEED HIM!!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 08:57 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Didn't they also pour a bunch of money into Tunsil?

my point was from a players perspective... im not sure how legit this information is.. but if Texas is one of the teams.. i do give them an edge in signing him
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 02:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sounds like the situation with a red haired QB we all know and love. 

I hope when we finally get some type of HOF.. they are able to color Andy's with a nice red tint or even better.. a Red Rifle on the plaque.. that would be sweet..  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 10:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They still have minimums they have to spend to be in compliance.

That's kind of misleading. The 89% rule is a 4 year number, not any single season. The 89% rule also uses cash accounting, which adds another spin to it as what people spent in "cap" and what they actually spend are different. Those big signing bonuses that get prorated across the entire contract apply to the year they are paid out for the sake of this rule, which means we are probably well above the minimum threshold already. In general, most teams on a 4 year average are well above that number (only occasionally are teams ever below 97% spending), so a single down season of spending does nothing.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 11:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Johnson may work out, but he is in no way comparable to Bobbie Williams who was a former second round pick with over 30 NFL games and a dozen starts.  He played out his full contract with the Eagles before we signed him as a free agent.

Johnson was an undrafted free agent with 0 snaps who got cut by the Stealers.

First of all, you can't say he is in no way comparable because you can't see the future.  Second, I was referencing Warford.  The subject of this thread?  Warford could be the next Bobbie Williams.  

I still don't see it happening, as I believe they have a lot of solid choices to compete at both RT and RG.  It may be a challenge to have an open competition with minimal preseason testing and training, but I would imagine those that will be competing for those spots will want to show up in both lifting shape as well as cardiovascular.  The lazy guy won't win the job.  
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 12:04 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Operative word is "could." He could be a lot of things. The discussion in this thread is about his floor, not his ceiling, because some on here are saying we should just go ahead and cut Hart now because we have Johnson. 

Hart is not Ogbuehi, but he isn't Willie Anderson, either.  The Bengals are pretty high on him, and one of the reasons for this is supposed to be his football IQ.  It will be very interesting to see what happens at RG, but I think Hart is the starting RT with Johnson the first guy off the bench for both tackle spots.  
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 04:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I got my number from the link in your post.  Click on "career earnings" and it will show exactly how much money he got.

Yes, the whole thing is confusing but found this,

Seeking close to 7 million. 

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/11/saints-cut-larry-warford-contract-nfl-free-agency-reports/

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]That’s comparable to what he would have earned from the Saints in 2020, between a $3.1 million base salary and a $4.375 million signing bonus. New Orleans was able to recoup $7.75 million after releasing Warford, whose salary cap charge had ranked second-highest on the team.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]The signing bonus was already paid.[/color]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 09:16 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes, the whole thing is confusing but found this,

Seeking close to 7 million. 

That’s comparable to what he would have earned from the Saints in 2020, between a $3.1 million base salary and a $4.375 million signing bonus. New Orleans was able to recoup $7.75 million after releasing Warford, whose salary cap charge had ranked second-highest on the team.

The signing bonus was already paid.

So, getting him for $7M would actually be including him a modest raise of just of $.5M.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 09:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hart is not Ogbuehi, but he isn't Willie Anderson, either.  The Bengals are pretty high on him, and one of the reasons for this is supposed to be his football IQ.  It will be very interesting to see what happens at RG, but I think Hart is the starting RT with Johnson the first guy off the bench for both tackle spots.  

Exactly

Up to this point in his career he's had ups and downs. He's had serious penalty issues which hasn't done anything to help his perception. He played better towards the end of last season but he's at the point in his career where he needs a lot more consistency !

There's really nothing there that screams keeper. Can he change that ? I just don't know ? I tend to lean towards if he hasn't got it together by now he ain't gonna. We'll see
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly

Up to this point in his career he's had ups and downs. He's had serious penalty issues which hasn't done anything to help his perception. He played better towards the end of last season but he's at the point in his career where he needs a lot more consistency !

There's really nothing there that screams keeper. Can he change that ? I just don't know ? I tend to lean towards if he hasn't got it together by now he ain't gonna. We'll see

True.  He is only 25, but he has been in the league 5 years.  Can't help but think the light would have turned on by now.  
Reply/Quote
It has always been concerning to me that one of the only teams in the league with (arguably) a worse OL than ours didn’t want Hart back...

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 09:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It has always been concerning to me that one of the only teams in the league with (arguably) a worse OL than ours didn’t want Hart back...

Reminds me of a I believe Bill Parcells quote when talking to a CB on his game. The CB told Bill "coach I'm gonna go out there and try my hardest to get it done" Bill replies " I can get a million guys in here tomorrow that are gonna try and get it done". 

Hart has to start getting it done, potential time has ran out.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 09:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It has always been concerning to me that one of the only teams in the league with (arguably) a worse OL than ours didn’t want Hart back...

I always avoid that logic, reason being good players get cut from teams all the time (Not saying Hart is one here but in general). For instance, Raheem Mostert was cut from the Eagles, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Jets and Beard before landing with San Francisco and being a key player in their Super Bowl run. 
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 10:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: I always avoid that logic, reason being good players get cut from teams all the time (Not saying Hart is one here but in general). For instance, Raheem Mostert was cut from the Eagles, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Jets and Beard before landing with San Francisco and being a key player in their Super Bowl run. 

Depends on the team. Fred Johnson not being able to stick around in Pittsburgh for example is not as big of a deal. If it’s a good team with a lot of depth at the position, etc.

Reply/Quote