Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Trump called WWI Marines buried in France "losers" and "suckers"
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/

Multiple sources corroborated a story that said that when Trump blamed the rain's impact on travel for canceling a trip to an American war cemetery in France back in 2018, the real reason was that he did not want to mess up his hair and thought that the 1,800 Marines buried there were "losers" and "suckers".

“Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.”

He also asked who the "good guys" were in the war and questioned why the US would side with the Allies.

Sources also attributed these comments to him in reference to John McCain's death:

“We’re not going to support that loser’s funeral,”

and in reference to flags being lowered for him:
"What the **** are we doing that for? Guy was a ***** loser,”
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Um maybe focus on important stuff. Nancy got her hair done.!!! Cities with dem leadership!!

Figure all that stuff out then we can talk about the fakest patriot to ever walk on this earth.
Reply/Quote
He's just saying what we're all thinking.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 08:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/

Multiple sources corroborated a story that said that when Trump blamed the rain's impact on travel for canceling a trip to an American war cemetery in France back in 2018, the real reason was that he did not want to mess up his hair and thought that the 1,800 Marines buried there were "losers" and "suckers".

“Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.”

He also asked who the "good guys" were in the war and questioned why the US would side with the Allies.

Sources also attributed these comments to him in reference to John McCain's death:

“We’re not going to support that loser’s funeral,”

and in reference to flags being lowered for him:
"What the **** are we doing that for? Guy was a ***** loser,”

Not sure what they are reporting on.  All they use are tiny fragments, without including the actual text of what was said.  Looks like trolling on part of The Atlantic..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm not saying he didnt say this, but when the sources are anonymous I am skeptical.

But the bit about McCain, it is believable based on what he said in 2015 in regards to McCain.

“He’s not a war hero,” Trump said in 2015 while running for the Republican nomination for president. “I like people who weren’t captured.”

Now that was actually said. He also made similar remarks about George H. Bush getting shot down in WW2, because the Bushes criticized him.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 11:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'm not saying he didnt say this, but when the sources are anonymous I am skeptical.

But the bit about McCain, it is believable based on what he said in 2015 in regards to McCain.

“He’s not a war hero,” Trump said in 2015 while running for the Republican nomination for president. “I like people who weren’t captured.”

Now that was actually said. He also made similar remarks about George H. Bush getting shot down in WW2, because the Bushes criticized him.

I think what he said about McCain and Bush makes his commentary about those who died in WWI absolutely likely.

I don't get skeptical about anonymous sources, though, because I know how it works having been one, before. The reporters verify who the sources are, they know who they are and check their bonafides.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 07:27 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think what he said about McCain and Bush makes his commentary about those who died in WWI absolutely likely.

I don't get skeptical about anonymous sources, though, because I know how it works having been one, before. The reporters verify who the sources are, they know who they are and check their bonafides.

Beyond the standards for such things I am fascinated at how supporters of Trump can look at everything he says and does and then convince themselves that there is no way he would speak poorly of a group of people like this.  Example after example and they can ignore it all because he says "Nobody loves the troops more than me".  Just like "nobody love the" women, poor, blacks, etc...more than him.

If you don't see the con you're the mark.

Also we need a good definition of "trolling" around here...lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
What if I told you Trump is a liar?  And that as a lifetime liar he will lie again when caught?

[Image: EhCegZiWsAUnsO5?format=jpg&name=900x900]

[Image: EhCegZjX0AA8a7c?format=jpg&name=900x900]
Reply/Quote
I forgot to add that he said he didn't want wounded veterans at military parades because no one wants to see amputees.

Reply/Quote
If this is true why did it take 2 years to be exposed ? And no, I'm not under the illusion that he doesn't say some terrible things.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 09:37 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: If this is true why did it take 2 years to be exposed ?

I'd venture to guess that the reporters had hear about it, then go about trying to prove it and make sure they have it right.

That's what good reporting is.

Not this "who can get it on the air first" reporting we are used to now.

Also, as I stated above, Trump has already tweeted a lie to cover what he said he never said...even though he tweeted that he said it in 2015.
Reply/Quote
Also...anonymous sources:

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 09:37 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: If this is true why did it take 2 years to be exposed ? And no, I'm not under the illusion that he doesn't say some terrible things.

For the same reasons the Catholic Church, Boy Scouts, Penn State and other scandals took years to come to light.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 07:27 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think what he said about McCain and Bush makes his commentary about those who died in WWI absolutely likely.

I get what you're saying but considering how low journalistic standards have sunk nowadays, I'm MORE skeptical today when it comes to "anonymous sources". 
Reply/Quote
Trumps never been pro vets. He's attacked gold star families, purple heart veterans, fallen soldiers, those who have been captured and tortured. This shouldn't surprise anyone. The only surprise is his supporters turning on vets for Trump. Vets used to be the one people we all rallied behind.

They don't even care about our military men and women having bounties put on their heads.

We can never let these people act proAmerica or Patriotic again. Once Trump is out of office, they must wear this stain. They can't have it both ways. Can't just "care" about vets when they make up lies about why athletes kneel.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 12:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get what you're saying but considering how low journalistic standards have sunk nowadays, I'm MORE skeptical today when it comes to "anonymous sources". 

Journalistic standards aren't low, conservatives have just ramped up their rhetoric against journalism to the point that they believe journalistic standards are low because that sort of lie is required in order to make the rhetoric work. 

Reply/Quote
latest Military Times poll of active duty service members

[Image: WRDYQUQ5SNCNHIHT7HBKY7ZJW4.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 03:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Journalistic standards aren't low, conservatives have just ramped up their rhetoric against journalism to the point that they believe journalistic standards are low because that sort of lie is required in order to make the rhetoric work. 

Ahem:
[Image: CNN_Mostly_Peaceful_arson_reporting_c0-0...8cd8e2123a]

Also:
[Image: PJ_2020.05.08_Views-of-Media-Coronavirus_2-01.png?w=420]
Note that it's not conservative respondents but AMERICAN respondents.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 03:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: latest Military Times poll of active duty service members

[Image: WRDYQUQ5SNCNHIHT7HBKY7ZJW4.jpg]

They probably just polled the losers at home and not those deployed.
Reply/Quote