Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reports: Zeitler might be an option soon
Browns are looking to trade or even release him.

Might be a legit option given he is a prior Bengal and Brown does like to be familiar with players he brings in.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/report-kevin-zeitlers-name-has-been-thrown-around-in-trade-talks/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
That would be sweet. Why would they release or trade him though. Don't they have cap space?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 05:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: Browns are looking to trade or even release him.

Might be a legit option given he is a prior Bengal and Brown does like to be familiar with players he brings in.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/report-kevin-zeitlers-name-has-been-thrown-around-in-trade-talks/

The question is, would that aspect of his personality be overruled by the bitterness of the guy going to play for the despised Browns?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 05:49 PM)McC Wrote: The question is, would that aspect of his personality be overruled by the bitterness of the guy going to play for the despised Browns?

I think we'd take him back. Didn't Dansby go to the Browns? We tried to sign him and he went there. Then he came here.

This all said, I still think Zeitler would get some big offers on the market.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 05:49 PM)McC Wrote: The question is, would that aspect of his personality be overruled by the bitterness of the guy going to play for the despised Browns?

True, and the feelings have to go both ways. But I don't remember Zeitler taking shots at MB after he left. He might have now that I think of it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 05:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we'd take him back. Didn't Dansby go to the Browns? We tried to sign him and he went there. Then he came here.

This all said, I still think Zeitler would get some big offers on the market.

I don't even know how good he has been in Cleveland.  We most certainly need a RG.  But will Cleveland release him and have that much dead money?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Zeitler has been very good for the Browns. This is strictly a money move imo.
Reply/Quote
the Browns clearing more cap space to acquire Odell Beckham.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 05:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That would be sweet. Why would they release or trade him though. Don't they have cap space?

A reason I saw on twitter was because Z was signed by the previous Browns regime and the current regime drafted a G in the 2nd round last year (Austin Corbett).

That said, I'd be happy with a reunion at the right price.
Reply/Quote
Getting Big Z back would be good. I can't see him being upset with us he left and became the highest paid guard in the nfl.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
If the price was right I would be fine with the move he is still young. If they draft a tackle at 11 the O- line is looking pretty good with Glenn, Boling, Price, Zeitler , 11th pick. Sign a young lb in free agencey and you can look in the 2nd round to possibly add another LB.
Reply/Quote
Proof the Bengal front office was smart to not overpay Zeitler like the Browns did.
Reply/Quote
It makes little sense for the Browns to trade or cut Kevin Zeitler at least before June...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I hope we bring him back. We should have never let him go in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 07:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Proof the Bengal front office was smart to not overpay Zeitler like the Browns did.

Yeah because they bengals just kept winning without him and Whit...oh wait
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 07:37 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yeah because they bengals just kept winning without him and Whit...oh wait

I can agree with them not wanting to play a guard that much when you have other guys like Geno and company to pay down the road., Whit’s A little different because he plays a premium position and was the leader of the team.
Reply/Quote
According to this, the Browns would be absolute fools to release Zeitler this year.

https://overthecap.com/player/kevin-zeitler/189/

$10.7M in dead cap, just to "save" $1.7M? That's pretty obtuse, even by "old Browns" logic. If they wait to next year, they can at least save $7.6M and only eat $4.8M in dead cap.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to this, the Browns would be absolute fools to release Zeitler this year.  

https://overthecap.com/player/kevin-zeitler/189/

$10.7M in dead cap, just to "save" $1.7M?  That's pretty obtuse, even by "old Browns" logic.  If they wait to next year, they can at least save $7.6M and only eat $4.8M in dead cap.

If they wait until June the dead cap would be 6 and they save 6.5. If they can find a trade partner in June the dead cap would be 2.4 and they save 10 before June its 7.2 dead cap 5.2 savings.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 07:55 PM)Synric Wrote: If they wait until June the dead cap would be 6 and they save 6.5. If they can find a trade partner in June the dead cap would be 2.4 and they save 10 before June its 7.2 dead cap 5.2 savings.

Hmm, I was unaware of those latter details.  So, if a team didn't get what they wanted in Free Agency or the Draft, they could feasibly bargain with the Browns and get a great Guard for about half price?  I say half price, as the Browns would still be on the hook for their part of his salary.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 07:01 PM)lone bengal Wrote: If the price was right I would be fine with the move he is still young. If they draft a tackle at 11 the O- line is looking pretty good with Glenn, Boling, Price, Zeitler , 11th pick. Sign a young lb in free agencey and you can look in the 2nd round to possibly add another LB.

Don't get my hopes up! That would be a perfect scenario. That being said, with the amount of dead cap Zeitler carries, it only makes sense to trade him before June 1 and that only clears 5.2 million according to spotrac. Perhaps they feel Corbett can do as well as Zeitler for future cap savings? They have 77.9 million in total cap space now so I cant imagine extra cap space now is a reason to get rid of him
Reply/Quote