Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Republican National Convention(s)
Anyone else watching?

I just heard Charlie Kirk affirm Trump is a "defender of Western Civilization."   Yow! Shocked

Now I am listening to Rebecca Friedrichs, a CA teacher.  She says Unions pick on loving teachers and children. Spit on them too.

Matt Gaetz says Dems will invite MS 13 to live next door. "We own the stars!"

In this party people are selected because they are the best person for the job, not because of their race.  Can't wait to get the print versions of some of these speeches.

WHO, Fauci and other world leaders got COVID wrong. But one towering world leader got it right, according to a campaign video. His quick action saved thousands of lives.  LOL Now Rachel breaks in with a "reality check" from an angry Dr. Vin Gupta. 

"CHINA VIRUS" Trump chats with healthcare workers. All helping make the CHINA VIRUS go away.

Anyway, there'll be two conventions this week, as the Republican party splits between conservatives and Trumpists.

Republicans are putting on two conventions this week. One of them will be sane.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/24/there-are-two-republican-conventions-happening-this-week-one-will-be-sane/

The Republican Party revealed its descent into a cult of personality by declaring on Sunday that it would have no party platform at its convention this week, only a pledge of complete loyalty to President Trump.* The party proclaimed in a resolution that “The [Republican National Committee] enthusiastically supports President Trump and continues to reject the policy positions of the Obama-Biden Administration, as well as those espoused by the Democratic National Committee today … [and that] the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the President’s America-first agenda.” Any platform would be ruled “out of order,” according to the resolution. It is quite a confession of intellectual vacuity.

The document also effectively puts the party on record supporting all of Trump’s loony ideas about the “deep state," his denial of Russian interference in the election, his defense of Confederate imagery, his opposition to legal immigration, his insistence that there is nothing wrong with extorting an ally to fabricate dirt on a political rival, his hawking of phony cures for the novel coronavirus, his animosity toward NATO, his embrace of trade wars and his reckless attacks on democratic norms and institutions. It is a party that welcomes QAnon support — because Trump does. It is a party that approves of abusive policing (“Don’t be too nice” when putting suspects in the police car, he told a room of law enforcement officials) and China’s Uighur detention camps — because Trump does.

You can understand why the party would not want to spell all that out in a platform. You can also understand why “Republican ideas” is an oxymoron and “conservatism” has lost all meaning.

There are, however, some green shoots sprouting on the center-right. This week, Never Trump groups will hold a “Convention on Founding Principles," running as counter-programming to the Republican convention
. The event, put on by Evan McMullin and Mindy Finn’s Stand Up Republic and the eclectic think tank, the Niskanen Center, promises to have “speakers, thinkers and leaders from across the country who share our commitment to founding principles and political renewal in America. Delegates will present, deliberate and ratify organizing principles, vote for preferred candidates, and plan future actions.” Thousands of disaffected Republicans are expected to participate. It will be live-streamed and available for viewing on Facebook and YouTube.

*Fuehrereid already! Lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If there were people that doubted the Republican Party is now the party of Trump.....it should be painfully obvious by now.
Reply/Quote
how pissed would you be if you inadvertently ended up in some of the stock footage for this garbage...
Reply/Quote
that iran captee is on trump's intellectual level. same tailor too.
Reply/Quote
Does donny J have pink eye or did his girlfriend show him a new stud tape? This guy just got some really bad news

Seriously, are those tears or aderall fueled skin tags?

so awkward with the hand movements.
Reply/Quote
This Don Jr stuff is just sad. 

This is the best the GOP has. 

This is going to go down in the history books.  
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 11:27 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Does donny J have pink eye or did his girlfriend show him a new stud tape? This guy just got some really bad news

Seriously, are those tears or aderall fueled skin tags?

so awkward with the hand movements.

Xanax and gin and tonic backstage... He read well under the circumstances.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 11:45 PM)jason Wrote: Xanax and gin and tonic backstage... He read well under the circumstances.

that wasnt xanax my friend...  dudes blood pressure slowly decreased as he pumped his arms up and down to keep pace with his reading. 

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 09:53 PM)Dill Wrote: *Fuehrereid already! Lol

Comparing your political opponents to Nazis is a low blow.  Quite honestly I expect better from you.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 11:51 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: that wasnt xanax my friend...  dudes blood pressure slowly decreased as he pumped his arms up and down to keep pace with his reading. 

We're just gonna ignore the Just For Men beard dye?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
How’s the weather in Jacksonville?
Reply/Quote
Trump trying to make small talk with the all white group of frontline workers was awkward and just cringe.

Trump Jr being presented as an expert on politics, history, and average Americans is laughable, and it's really sad seeing the line constantly blurred between the presidency and the Trump business.

His girl screaming her speech was amusing. She's for the strong-armed authoritarian giving a speech bit down.

Tim Scott and Nikki Haley could be inspiring leaders if they weren't actively helping to keep someone in office that is fundamentally unfit to be there, especially since they both know it.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 11:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Comparing your political opponents to Nazis is a low blow.  Quite honestly I expect better from you.

Er. Sure. But remember my first concern in comparisons between authoritarian leaders and Trump is not whether such comparisons are "low" but whether they fit and illuminate.  And that should be the concern of everyone going into this election.

We now have a president who is the great defender, not of the liberal regime of universal rights, but of an ethno-ideal of "Western Civilization," who centralizes party power in personal authority, who daily attacks the "Luegenpresse,"* and who strives to undermine elections and any institution which circumscribes his exercise of personal power.  

And he has the aquiesence of millions in this, for whom "the Left" remains the greater threat.  

First as tragedy, then as farce. 

*The attack on the press is now built into the Trump Party platform
.https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/docs/Resolution_Platform_2020.pdf?_ga=2.165306300.2055661719.1598124638-455285808.1584478680
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 10:33 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: If there were people that doubted the Republican Party is now the party of Trump.....it should be painfully obvious by now.

Honestly, the only thing you need to confirm this is that the party isn't messing with a platform. Their platform is just "re-elect Trump."
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
My wife and I were talking last night and I really don't remember watching much of any of the conventions in my lifetime.

I am sure I did as a kid due to school related things but none that stick out.

So I didn't watch the DNC and I'm not watching the RNC but I have been following the coverage.  My impression was that the GOP said this was to be uplifting and from what I have read it seems more "Look how bad things are!  Trump needs (at least) four more years to fix this!"
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Shocked

[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 08:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: My wife and I were talking last night and I really don't remember watching much of any of the conventions in my lifetime.

So I didn't watch the DNC and I'm not watching the RNC but I have been following the coverage.  My impression was that the GOP said this was to be uplifting and from what I have read it seems more "Look how bad things are!  Trump needs (at least) four more years to fix this!"

It's an odd strategy. Some times they're running as the incumbent. "KEEP American Great". They point to alleged successes.

Other times they run as if they are not occupying the White House. "MAKE American Great AGAIN". They point to the alleged failures of Democrats
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 09:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: Shocked

LOL Dems are the pro opioids party.   "Death with dignity."
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 08:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: My wife and I were talking last night and I really don't remember watching much of any of the conventions in my lifetime.

Seriously, D.  It is time to break precedent.

Little in the way of long speeches. You can't really get sense of tone unless you watch 3-4 speakers in a row, interspersed with political advertisements. Trump has astonished the world with his management of the virus "China" sent us, for middle class voters his policies have been "rocket fuel" to the economy, he defeated ISIS and brought the troops home. He has kept ALL of his promises.

Pro-crime Dems want to abolish suburbs and aren't taking care of postal workers. (You might want to wear a neck brace while watching. Whiplash danger.)

Any pretense of expanding the base has been dispensed with.

[Image: 106676518-15983201852020-08-25t014854z_9...=680&h=680]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 02:32 AM)Dill Wrote: Er. Sure. But remember my first concern in comparisons between authoritarian leaders and Trump is not whether such comparisons are "low" but whether they fit and illuminate.  And that should be the concern of everyone going into this election.

We now have a president who is the great defender, not of the liberal regime of universal rights, but of an ethno-ideal of "Western Civilization," who centralizes party power in personal authority, who daily attacks the "Luegenpresse,"* and who strives to undermine elections and any institution which circumscribes his exercise of personal power.  

And he has the aquiesence of millions in this, for whom "the Left" remains the greater threat.  

First as tragedy, then as farce. 

*The attack on the press is now built into the Trump Party platform
.https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/docs/Resolution_Platform_2020.pdf?_ga=2.165306300.2055661719.1598124638-455285808.1584478680

I'll reiterate, comparing your political opponents to Nazis is unacceptable.  The only exception would be if they were actual Nazis.  I suppose we can file this under "it's ok if the people I like do it" file for you.  It's certainly not the first entry.
Reply/Quote