Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Republican National Convention(s)
So I may have missed it, but did anyone catch Tiffany Trump saying (paraphrasing), "as a recent graduate, I know how hard it is to find a job in these times."

I'm not trying to pile on, but I will, simply for the sheer absurdity of that statement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 03:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: So I may have missed it, but did anyone catch Tiffany Trump saying (paraphrasing), "as a recent graduate, I know how hard it is to find a job in these times."

I'm not trying to pile on, but I will, simply for the sheer absurdity of that statement.

Nepotism isn’t all it’s cracked up to be when the feds keep shuttering family business ventures for fraud such as Trump University and the Trump Foundation charity. Or you go to jail for fraud and financial crimes in connection to the Trump Campaign.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 01:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You're missing something here, and that is the far left is showing restraint when they compare him to Hitler and some policies.  They believe he would willingly exterminate 12 million people to advance himself if he could get away with it.  They just aren't willing to outright say it yet.

(08-27-2020, 01:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't believe he would actively kill that many people. I believe he is self-centered enough to let that many people die through policies that harm them, but not that he would actively have them killed.

Here's the problem with the Hitler comparison. It's so extreme that it immediately becomes the focus of attention and the rest of your argument is obscured.  There are numerous examples of despots who seize power, Pinochet, Mussolini, Putin, to name a few that would serve as far better examples.  In fact Putin is probably the best example if you want to compare someone to what, some, people think Trump is doing.

I'll reiterate.  Comparing someone to the Nazis is unacceptable.  Even if they are acting in a way reminiscent of the Weimar era Nazi party (e.g. subverting the democratic process), the comparison is a terrible one as it evokes all that came after that as well. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 01:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You're missing something here, and that is the far left is showing restraint when they compare him to Hitler and some policies.  They believe he would willingly exterminate 12 million people to advance himself if he could get away with it.  They just aren't willing to outright say it yet.

A GREAT DEAL of restraint. Some have even gone so far as to  uncouple Trump from fascism and Nazism altogether. On this very thread even.

Speaking for "the Left" in quotation marks, I'm not sure how killing 12 million would fit into the kinds of goals and self-image Trump sets for himself, like getting hotels built in Moscow and Kazakhstan, and adulation from followers at his rallies. He doesn't write much. His books were written by others, but in them he doesn't say anything about "exterminating parasites" and the like. 

Speaking for the Left without quotation marks, I doubt any of us are thinking of Trump in terms of potential genocide. Hitler after '33? For the historical materialist, the matter for comparison to Trump drops off precipitously, or suffers stretching beyond usefulness. SSF has a good point about this, though, as after '33 the matter(and temptation) for association by demagoguery is greater. In this forum we don't have to worry though.

It's not that I think Trump has some heretofore hidden well of empathy that would block genocide. Or that he doesn't. To get into that discussion I would have to imagine absurdities--like some how Trump is forced to choose between a brand new Trump tower in Moscow or preventing Putin from nuking Georgia. I have no confidence Trump would make the right decision, but I can say that have little interest in warning people about that possibility. I'm sticking with the sort of empirical and institutional analysis of authoritarianism that helps us understand what we could expect from Trump's second term. That helps us recognize what we have, and why people chose the authoritarian option. The latter problem won't just disappear if Trump is voted out of office.
Reply/Quote
He failed but if give him just ONE more chance...well he'll fail again probably.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Frothing fear mongering old men... Yawn.

Rudy Guiliani or whatever his name is doesn't even look like a real human being, but he's very emphatic with the scary shit he's trying to peddle.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Ivanka makes light of Trump's tweeting.

"I recognize that my dad’s communication style is not to everyone’s taste. And I know his tweets can feel a bit...unfiltered. But the results speak for themselves.”

Meghan McCain responds

"It’s not a “communication style”, its cruelty and indecency.

Trump said he didn’t like POW’s who were captured, implied my father was burning in hell after he died and constantly trashed him while he was fighting brain cancer. This is how they have lost all decent people."
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Admittedly I didn't watch all of the trump family reunion. But the takeaway was:

Gosh, this country is in such bad shape, you need to reelect us!
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 12:01 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Ivanka makes light of Trump's tweeting.

"I recognize that my dad’s communication style is not to everyone’s taste. And I know his tweets can feel a bit...unfiltered. But the results speak for themselves.”

Meghan McCain responds

"It’s not a “communication style”, its cruelty and indecency.

Trump said he didn’t like POW’s who were captured, implied my father was burning in hell after he died and constantly trashed him while he was fighting brain cancer. This is how they have lost all decent people."

Meghan McCain has a problem with Tump's "tone."  Lot's of sensitive LIBERAL women do. 

He is not "polished." But he keeps his promises. That's really what those ugly pigs don't like
Reply/Quote
As is my tradition I did not watch but I read this morning that DJT spoke for 70 minutes or so and that he got off script a good bit and also that he couldn't read off the teleprompter.

Multiple sources said the script read "proudly".

What a dolt.

#slowjoe

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2020, 10:41 PM)jason Wrote: Frothing fear mongering old men... Yawn.

Rudy Guiliani or whatever his name is doesn't even look like a real human being, but he's very emphatic with the scary shit he's trying to peddle.

Man, I really wanted him to be president in 08.  Ah well, people change.  I remember the day I threw my hardback of "Leadership" in the wood burner.

It's disappointing as hell, but such is life. 
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 12:06 PM)GMDino Wrote:  

Cuz the WH isn't Trump's house?
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 09:16 AM)GMDino Wrote: As is my tradition I did not watch but I read this morning that DJT spoke for 70 minutes or so and that he got off script a good bit and also that he couldn't read off the teleprompter.

What a dolt.

#slowjoe

He also said plausma...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 09:16 AM)GMDino Wrote: As is my tradition I did not watch but I read this morning that DJT spoke for 70 minutes or so and that he got off script a good bit and also that he couldn't read off the teleprompter.

What a dolt.

#slowjoe

7 tweets and only 2 deal with the CONTENT of what Trump said. The others deal with him misspeaking as if he's the first to EVER do it and that it is CLEARLY a sign of the kind of human being he is. I mean I could point out some mispronouncements of pretty much every one who's ever given a speech. 

This is what I don't understand from you Trump haters. There are so many legitimate criticism to make of Trump, so why must you focus on EVERY SINGLE THING HE DOES WRONG?
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 01:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 7 tweets and only 2 deal with the CONTENT of what Trump said. The others deal with him misspeaking as if he's the first to EVER do it and that it is CLEARLY a sign of the kind of human being he is. I mean I could point out some mispronouncements of pretty much every one who's ever given a speech. 

This is what I don't understand from you Trump haters. There are so many legitimate criticism to make of Trump, so why must you focus on EVERY SINGLE THING HE DOES WRONG?

There are other posts that will deal with the content of the speech (mostly lies). Heck, you didn't even mention his "joke" about Biden up there while Trump currently fighting giving his DNA to exonerate himself in a sexual assault case.

This was in reference to Trump and his children trying to push the "Biden is losing" meme along with "Reading from a teleprompter is easy" about Biden also.

But I will "profoundly" accept your criticism.   Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 01:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 7 tweets and only 2 deal with the CONTENT of what Trump said. The others deal with him misspeaking as if he's the first to EVER do it and that it is CLEARLY a sign of the kind of human being he is. I mean I could point out some mispronouncements of pretty much every one who's ever given a speech. 

I assure you that legitimate criticisms of Trump have been filed on this forum.
Reply/Quote
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-chris-wallace-pans-trump-speech-as-surprisingly-flat-it-was-far-too-long/

Quote:Fox News’ Chris Wallace Pans Trump Speech as ‘Surprisingly Flat’ With ‘Lack of Fireworks’: ‘It Was Far Too Long’

By Josh FeldmanAug 28th, 2020, 12:03 am
3613 comments

[url=https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-chris-wallace-pans-trump-speech-as-surprisingly-flat-it-was-far-too-long/#disqus_thread][/url]
Fox News anchor Chris Wallace said Thursday night that while President Donald Trump’s RNC convention speech had some effective lines, it was “surprisingly flat.”

“There were impressive fireworks on the mall. But I have to say I was surprised at the lack of fireworks in the president’s speech tonight,” he said. “First of all, it was far too long. 70 minutes exactly. I thought at times it felt like more a State of the Union speech, like a campaign speech.”

Wallace noted some of Trump’s notable attack lines against Joe Biden, but added, “I have to say, in his delivery, again, I thought the president — who we have seen really turn on a crowd — was surprisingly flat and didn’t seem to have the bite that he usually does have in his speeches. I agree with you. He laid out an ambitious plan for a second term, ten million jobs in ten months. Bringing medical supply chains back to the United States. Dealing with pre-existing conditions, though we have to point out he hasn’t done that in his first term.”

He also took note of how there was no social distancing at the White House event, “very few with masks… ignoring all of the public health recommendations.”

Brit Hume had some praise for Trump’s speech, while agreeing with Wallace that it was a little too long.

“Chris has a point, the speech was very, very long,” Hume said. “And he was as Chris suggests I think a little flat.”
You can watch above, via Fox News.
Reply/Quote
"content"!

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 01:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: There are other posts that will deal with the content of the speech (mostly lies).  Heck, you didn't even mention his "joke" about Biden up there while Trump currently fighting giving his DNA to exonerate himself in a sexual assault case.

This was in reference to Trump and his children trying to push the "Biden is losing" meme along with "Reading from a teleprompter is easy" about Biden also.

But I will "profoundly" accept your criticism.   Smirk

Like I said, there is plenty of ammunition in the magazine to shoot criticism at Trump. Why you want to waste your time and energy on the insignificant, I don't know. But then again, it's your time an denergy and your prerogative to waste it. 
Reply/Quote