Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican candidate 'body-slams' Guardian reporter in Montana
(05-25-2017, 03:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He will just be more popular with many conservatives.

Yeah because since the election of Trump its only been liberals who get to use violence. Conservatives should be allowed to as well.
(05-25-2017, 10:47 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Heard an interview on the radio with a Republican voter in Montana and his response was "Who hasn't been charged with assault a time or two in their life?"

That would be more believable if the caller was speaking for liberal protestors.
(05-26-2017, 12:21 AM)Vlad Wrote: Yeah because since the election of Trump its only been liberals who get to use violence. Conservatives should be allowed to as well.

No doubt if dude would have showed up to protest a conservative rally and got violent he'd just be exercising his 1st Amendment Right....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
“Yes! You just broke my glasses,” Jacobs replied."Don't you know you're not supposed to hit a "man" with glasses" you big bully!
Pajama boy liberal reporters lol
(05-24-2017, 10:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: I miss the old days when you could kick that guys ass.  

...without being sued.

Same here.
I wonder if there is an exception that will have to be made for him to travel, since he has pending criminal charges.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Tightest Montana House race since 2000.w
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-26-2017, 12:46 AM)Vlad Wrote: “Yes! You just broke my glasses,” Jacobs replied."Don't you know you're not supposed to hit a "man" with glasses" you big bully!
Pajama boy liberal reporters lol

Or, you know, body slam a guy for doing his job and asking you a question.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-26-2017, 01:04 AM)Vlad Wrote: ...without being sued.

Same here.

Or when reporters could ask questions and politicians would answer them without thinking they were being personally attacked.

Good times.
(05-26-2017, 08:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: Or when reporters could ask questions and politicians would answer them without thinking they were being personally attacked.

Good times.

Gianforte is going to be dead on arrival in DC. He's got an uphill battle to gain any sort of respect among his colleagues on the Hill. Well, those that are adults, anyway.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-26-2017, 08:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Gianforte is going to be dead on arrival in DC. He's got an uphill battle to gain any sort of respect among his colleagues on the Hill. Well, those that are adults, anyway.

So just the Democrats then?

Because more than a few members of the GOP have either not condemned it or supported his actions.

Despite (non)supporters saying Trump can't be blamed this is exactly what he campaigned on: Being tough, media bad (fake news), kick someone's ass if they disagree with you, etc.

Edit: And when the media pursues this there will be those who will claim the media has been "unfair" to Gianforte. They'll talk about the "negative press" he gets. And they'll ignore that he brought it on himself.

And that's ignoring other things like his ties to the sanctioned Russian companies.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/greg-gianforte-assault-montana-republican-reaction/528123/

Quote:The Muted Republican Reaction to Greg Gianforte’s Assault Charge
On Capitol Hill, Republican lawmakers have reacted to the news with a mixture of evasion, defensiveness, and vague condemnations of violence.
[Image: lead_960.jpg?1495726286]

Montana Republican congressional candidate Greg Gianforte lost three newspaper endorsements over his altercation with a Guardian reporter who asked Gianforte about the controversial GOP health-care bill, and a Montana sheriff cited Gianforte with misdemeanor assault early Thursday morning. But the reaction from the candidate’s would-be Republican colleagues in Congress has been far more muted.

On Capitol Hill, Republican lawmakers have reacted to the news with a mixture of evasion and defensiveness. That was in stark contrast to the Montana newspapers that un-endorsed Gianforte, one of which, the Billings Gazettecalled the incident “shocking, disturbing and without precedent.”

At a Thursday morning press conference, House Republican Leader Paul Ryan said a “physical altercation” with a reporter “should not have happened,” and that Gianforte should apologize. But Ryan would not say that Gianforte should withdraw from the race or be barred from Congress. “If he wins, he has been chosen by the people of Montana, who their congressman’s going to be. I’m going to let the people of Montana decide who they want as their representative,” he said.

Republican Representative Steve Stivers, the chair of the National Republican Congressional Committee, said in a statement that based on what he knows of Gianforte, “this was totally out of character, but we all make mistakes.” He added that the election “is bigger than any one person; it’s about the views of all Montanans.”

Montana Republican Senator Steve Daines said in a statement that he does “not condone violence in any way,” but did not explicitly voice criticism of Gianforte, saying instead that he would leave “questions and answers to local law enforcement.” Later, Daines tweeted that Gianforte “needs to apologize.”

Republican Representative Trent Franks told MSNBC that he “reject[ed] any kind of thing where we use physical violence in a situation like that, it should not have happened,” but not before leveling blame against liberals. “The left has precipitated this tense, confrontational, approach throughout the country in recent months,” he said.

BuzzFeed News
 reporter Lissandra Villa asked Mark Sanford, a Republican representative from South Carolina, what kind of reception Gianforte would get from Republicans in congress if he won. Sanford joked, "I think people would be careful not to make him mad." Rep. Duncan Hunter of California told Associated Press reporter Mary Clare Jalonick‏ that the assault was “not appropriate behavior. Unless the reporter deserved it.”

Republican Representative Leonard Lance said that he “believe[s] that we should all treat the press with respect, and I try to lead by example”, but evidently he did not find what had happened disqualifying for the Republican candidate. “I of course hope that the Republican is successful today, because I think that his views are the views of the people of Montana.”

Immediately after Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs accused Gianforte of “body slamming” him after he asked the candidate a question about the congressional GOP health-care bill, national Republican groups mostly declined to offer any comment, deferring instead to a statement released by the Gianforte campaign disputing the allegation. That statement  has been contradicted by eyewitness accounts from the scene, which said Gianforte attacked Jacobs without any physical aggression from the reporter.

All that despite his LYING about the incident.

Welcome to the Trump Normal ™.
(05-26-2017, 09:06 AM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/greg-gianforte-assault-montana-republican-reaction/528123/

All that despite his LYING about the incident.

How exactly would you bar him from Congress?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-26-2017, 09:52 AM)michaelsean Wrote: How exactly would you bar him from Congress?

I didn't say I would, or could.  Or that anyone could except the voters.

That had nothing to do with what you quoted about fellow members of the GOP normalizing what he did.

Thanks?
(05-26-2017, 09:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't say I would, or could.  Or that anyone could except the voters.

That had nothing to do with what you quoted about fellow members of the GOP normalizing what he did.

Thanks?

But your reporter remarked that Ryan didn't say he should withdraw from the race or be barred from Congress.  Is that an option?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-26-2017, 10:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: But your reporter remarked that Ryan didn't say he should withdraw from the race or be barred from Congress.  Is that an option?

For a person with morals and ethics withdrawing is...sure.  Of course that kind of person probably wouldn't have reacted like he did and then lied about it.

Then "apologize"...after the votes are counted.  LOL.

I don't know if the GOP in his state can force him out over personal acts.  I doubt they would because, well, they want the seat.  They don't really care if he's a liar with ties to the Russians.  As long as he has an "R" and wins.
(05-25-2017, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are folks for real trying to blame this on Trump?

(05-26-2017, 09:06 AM)GMDino Wrote: All that despite his LYING about the incident.

Guess that answers that.

(05-26-2017, 10:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Guess that answers that.

Well to be fair you already knew the answer.

After all your (non)support of Trump and his actions/words/behavior has well opened your eyes to what is considered acceptable by the right (and you by proxy) now.

To pout a finer point on it (and I don't want to make this too long so that people will read the whole thing...I know how bored some people get) Trump did not cause what happened.  It was not Trump's "fault" for him body slamming a reporter for daring to ask a question and then lying about it before finding out there was tape of the incident.

The "Trump Normal ™" is more about voters (on the right) deciding that the candidate can lie, cheat, steal, make stuff up, be verbally OR physically abusive, etc...and it doesn't matter because #MAGA.

Clear?
(05-26-2017, 10:42 AM)GMDino Wrote: Clear?

Yep. #Trump's fault

(05-26-2017, 10:42 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well to be fair you already knew the answer.

After all your (non)support of Trump and his actions/words/behavior has well opened your eyes to what is considered acceptable by the right (and you by proxy) now.

To pout a finer point on it (and I don't want to make this too long so that people will read the whole thing...I know how bored some people get) Trump did not cause what happened.  It was not Trump's "fault" for him body slamming a reporter for daring to ask a question and then lying about it before finding out there was tape of the incident.

The "Trump Normal ™" is more about voters (on the right) deciding that the candidate can lie, cheat, steal, make stuff up, be verbally OR physically abusive, etc...and it doesn't matter because #MAGA.

Clear?

So when I laughed at people who said Obama wasn't born in the US or that he was a Muslim etc, was I a (non)supporter of Obama?