Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republicans against big government
(11-01-2016, 11:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not true as a general statement. I would tend to say unmotivated as opposed to lazy. Reduce subsidies and increase employment opportunities is a good thing for the employed and those seeking employment. More will be seeking if subsidies dwindle.  

Reduce subsidies for companies?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-01-2016, 11:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, wise one, why do you say that?

(11-01-2016, 08:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But the Ireland system is only successful because it is the only one in the world.  It is kind of like how Las Vegas used to be so successful  because it was the only place that had legal gambling.  When lots of other places legalized gambling they did not all grow as popular as Vegas.

Ireland has attracted a lot of foreign investment but only involving the high end R&D.  General Motors can not manufacture and sell 10 million cars in Ireland.  WalMart can not operate 10 thousand stores in Ireland.

Also Ireland has other tax loopholes that allow most businesses to pay almost zero in taxes.

Meanwhile Ireland has not reduced government expenditures so someone else has been required to pay the taxes that corporations used to.  If the tax cuts create massive growth in GDP then tax revenue can grow even with lower rates.  But that is not what is happening in Ireland, and it is definitely not what will happen if every other country cuts corporate taxes so dramatically.  Corporations do not use tax savings to pay higher wages, re-invest in growing their companies, or create new jobs.  Instead the lower taxes just go to make stockholders richer.

Just look at what corporations have done with the ridiculous low interest rates.  They have not borrowed money to grow their businesses.  Instead they have borrowed money to buy back their own stock to drive up the price.
(11-01-2016, 11:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  More will be seeking if subsidies dwindle.  

But that does not mean more jobs will be created.

Last time I checked there are not enough jobs right now for all the people looking for one.
(11-01-2016, 11:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Your plan is sound if you are of the opinion that there are enough readily available jobs in the US. I see nothing wrong with bringing in more, just in case there are not. Your insults aside: I further agree no one should claim disability for being obese (given there are no medical abnormalities) and smoking. 

What did I say that was insulting?  The word redneck?  Dumb?  I'm just pointing out that we've hidden a lot of welfare cases by moving them into disability (a state issue, not a federal one) due to lack of and pretending progress has been made.
(11-02-2016, 01:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But that does not mean more jobs will be created.

Last time I checked there are not enough jobs right now for all the people looking for one.

Walmart in VA offering over $11 an hour for seasonal work.  Can't fill positions.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-02-2016, 01:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But that does not mean more jobs will be created.

Hence, bringing jobs back. Nate is the one that suggested we do it now.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-02-2016, 05:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Walmart in VA offering over $11 an hour for seasonal work.  Can't fill positions.
Our bacon factory expanded, last year.
We needed around 350-400 workers.
We still need 80-100, after hiring for almost a year.
We are in a very poor county, are starting people at $12.50 (full rate of $18.60, after 2 years), and we STILL cannot fill the positions.
Either they can't pass a drug test, or they won't budge off of their ass for less than $20/hr.

Purge when ?
Bomb Ireland when ?
Ninja
(11-01-2016, 05:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: So NPR did a story just now and they were interviewing people in a town in Ohio.  One recurring theme was the jobs leaving.

They all blamed NAFTA.  (The businesses were leaving before NAFTA too.)

Got me to thinking:

Why do Republicans want government interference in business to force them to stay here or not leave?

One of Trump's promises (Clinton too to an extent) is to "bring the jobs back".  But how?  Force them by changing laws?

Isn't that some those darn "regulations" that the right hates so much?  Isn't that giving government more power over businesses?

Serious question here.  How do you justify wanting government to "get out of the way" so businesses can run along with a desire to have government "do something" to get jobs back in the US?

Like what kind of intervention to make them stay?  I don't think the government has any authority to do that, but you can sure make them pay to bring their goods back in the country.  I'm always torn on this because on one hand you could keep more jobs in the country, but on the other hand you are making products more expensive to the consumer.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-02-2016, 10:59 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Our bacon factory expanded, last year.
We needed around 350-400 workers.
We still need 80-100, after hiring for almost a year.
We are in a very poor county, are starting people at $12.50 (full rate of $18.60, after 2 years), and we STILL cannot fill the positions.

Link?

Everytime a factory opens around here there are thousands of people applying for a few hundred jobs.

Where is this bacon factory and where did you get this information about them not being able to fill positions?
(11-02-2016, 05:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Walmart in VA offering over $11 an hour for seasonal work.  Can't fill positions.

Link?

Where in VA?  What are the terms of employment?
(11-03-2016, 07:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Link?

Everytime a factory opens around here there are thousands of people applying for a few hundred jobs.

Where is this bacon factory and where did you get this information about them not being able to fill positions?

Ummmmm..... I've worked there for 27+ years.

Bacon....Bacon....Bacon

MORE BACON !

You're welcome to stalk me, if you like.
If you give me your phone number, I'll ask my plant manager to give you a call if you like.
But more seriously..... I'll look, but I doubt there's any article about not being able to fill the jobs.
They are making most people work 60+ hours per week, to cover.
(11-01-2016, 05:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: So NPR did a story just now and they were interviewing people in a town in Ohio.  One recurring theme was the jobs leaving.

They all blamed NAFTA.  (The businesses were leaving before NAFTA too.)

Got me to thinking:

Why do Republicans want government interference in business to force them to stay here or not leave?

One of Trump's promises (Clinton too to an extent) is to "bring the jobs back".  But how?  Force them by changing laws?

Isn't that some those darn "regulations" that the right hates so much?  Isn't that giving government more power over businesses?

Serious question here.  How do you justify wanting government to "get out of the way" so businesses can run along with a desire to have government "do something" to get jobs back in the US?

If you don't know they're irrational people by now, I am sending the guys in the white coats for you...

Reminds me of the great Al Franken line, "Republicans like to say government can't do anything right, and then they get elected and proceed to prove it!"
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(11-01-2016, 05:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not a Republican, but I can throw out my answer to your question, at least.

All you have to do to keep jobs around here is look at Ireland:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/10/15/ireland-reduces-corporate-income-tax-rate-to-6-5-good-but-correct-rate-is-0/#3b66ad3836d8
http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/02/technology/ireland-apple-eu-tax-appeal/index.html

Now the US:
http://taxfoundation.org/blog/us-has-highest-corporate-income-tax-rate-oecd

The government didn't have to force anyone to stay, they tempted them to come by lowering taxes. They came and brought plenty of good paying jobs for their people. Is there any surprise that companies are leaving the US?

You lose tax dollars from the corporation, but you get more jobs (specifically good paying jobs). The government has plenty of places they can scale back or lean up on without losing anything vital.

So yeah.. they don't have to force anyone to do anything, just stop trying to squeeze every last dollar you can out of people, and people will WANT to bring jobs here.

Corporations are people my friend. Workers like you are cattle. Tax breaks for the people, and a brand and a stall for you. That's the Republican way. Free lunch for the people - but you aren't a person - corporations are people my friend. They're the people in we the people. And you and the government owe them a free lunch, and they owe you shitting down your throat and buying your government's decisions.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(11-01-2016, 11:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why do republicans want to bring jobs back to America?  Shouldn't republicans already have jobs?

So those damn liberal welfare queen(latifah)s will go to work, and pay taxes, so taxes on corporations can be reduced below zero! That's right, the government will give if a rebate on your zero taxes for every job you bring to America. Is low six figures too much to give a corporation like Walmart for creating jobs that pay $10/hr? I think not. Hell, give the a rebate even if they don't create jobs - give them money for thinking about trying. And when we give the people (Walmart and other corporations - they are the people) their money back (from the government, who never got any taxes from the corporation to begin with so how the hell they figure it is their money I do not know) it always reduces the deficit. That's just common sense. Government gives money to corporations (aka people) by the truckload, deficit disappears, and corporations aka the people have their money back. How can people fail to understand this. It is simple economics. And if it creates a job or two great, if not, I mean the important thing is we gave the corporations the money.
(11-01-2016, 11:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not true as a general statement. I would tend to say unmotivated as opposed to lazy. Reduce subsidies and increase employment opportunities is a good thing for the employed and those seeking employment. More will be seeking if subsidies dwindle.  

You are just mad because you are either too stupid or too lazy to make the effort to get on the subsidy gravy train. What are you waiting for? Quit your job and start sucking on that beautiful golden government teat. You will be eating steak and lobster and living in opulence, all at the expense of the suckers who work and live like paupers so you can live like a high roller. What are you waiting for. Game the system - improve your life today!

Show me a budget where you can live on $11 an hour in Virginia. Assumption: you are not living in your car.