Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rich Men North of Richmond
In case you haven't heard/seen this viral sensation:

Now, a lot of people are going to ascribe certain political views to Chris (the actual name of the artist), but he would be the first to tell you that he would hate that. He hates the division among the people and is about the working class gaining ground. He doesn't claim to be some sort of brilliant man or anything, but says that "we have lost our way from God and have let false idols distract us and divide us."

Anyway, as a fellow Virginian (who lives not far from Chris) and someone who preaches that the message Chris is singing about here is something that should be bringing folks on the left and right together, I wanted to share this awesome song.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 03:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: In case you haven't heard/seen this viral sensation:

Now, a lot of people are going to ascribe certain political views to Chris (the actual name of the artist), but he would be the first to tell you that he would hate that. He hates the division among the people and is about the working class gaining ground. He doesn't claim to be some sort of brilliant man or anything, but says that "we have lost our way from God and have let false idols distract us and divide us."

Anyway, as a fellow Virginian (who lives not far from Chris) and someone who preaches that the message Chris is singing about here is something that should be bringing folks on the left and right together, I wanted to share this awesome song.

I'd seen a lot about this song on YouTube.  It seems to be getting the Jason Aldean treatment from many.  Any comparison in your opinion?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 03:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd seen a lot about this song on YouTube.  It seems to be getting the Jason Aldean treatment from many.  Any comparison in your opinion?

Nope. Musically, he is more like Hank Jr. Politically, he would probably consider Aldean a part of the problem being someone who foments the division (just my speculation, not saying he has said that or even hinted at it). He also turned down a big music deal because he isn't looking for that life whereas that is what Aldean was after.

Edit to add: he has stated that he is pretty much dead center on politics in a video posted the day before his viral single dropped.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I think this is a good summary of the political debate on the song from The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2023/08/the-misguided-debate-over-rich-men-north-of-richmond/675046/

and a New Yorker article about it: https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/a-close-listen-to-rich-men-north-of-richmond

Out of all the articles I have read on the song, I think those two do the best job of the discussion surrounding is and how misguided it seems to be. People are so deep into the divisions that those rich men north of Richmond are pushing upon us that they want to take a song decrying exactly that, and use it to divide us even more.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 03:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think this is a good summary of the political debate on the song from The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2023/08/the-misguided-debate-over-rich-men-north-of-richmond/675046/

and a New Yorker article about it: https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/a-close-listen-to-rich-men-north-of-richmond

Out of all the articles I have read on the song, I think those two do the best job of the discussion surrounding is and how misguided it seems to be. People are so deep into the divisions that those rich men north of Richmond are pushing upon us that they want to take a song decrying exactly that, and use it to divide us even more.

Yeah, it has been all over my socials since it went viral...and I still haven't heard it.

Unfortunately it got the "right wing anthem" treatment right away.

Maybe I'll accidentally hear it at some point, but I'm sure one my right-wing relatives will INSIST it be played at a football watching party and tell me how great it represents what liberals are doing to 'murica.

For the reason alone I'd rather not even know the song and will avoid it...lol...even if that is not true about it.

Lastly I have always been that guy who just wont get swept up in fads, viral things, "must see" things, etc.  So anytime something like this is all over the news you can bet I'm out.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 03:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: In case you haven't heard/seen this viral sensation:

I'm genuinely curious as to why you find this song compelling? Personally, I found it to be very low-effort and unoriginal.

Reply/Quote
That's quite the take.

I thought it was awesome.

& even better message.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 04:19 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I'm genuinely curious as to why you find this song compelling? Personally, I found it to be very low-effort and unoriginal.

Are there plenty of other songs with a same message? Sure. Is he the best musician out there? Nope. Maybe it comes from a shared bond as a fellow Appalachian Virginian, but there is something appealing to me about his sound. It's just very authentic.

Reply/Quote
I got a Woody Guthrie vibe from this song. He was singing about the anger the real little guys have against ALL the power brokers who use and abuse them on their way to riches and power; ignoring them unless it benefits the guys seeking the money and power.

Try that in a Small Town...perpetuates fantasies about small-minded vigilantism

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It's weird how one of the first things he laments in the song is his shitty wage at work yet the right still claims the song as an anthem. The right hates people who ***** about shitty wages and push for increases.
Reply/Quote

It is a great song and hits home on the struggles of the hard working middle class. I agree all Americans should love this song. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 04:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Are there plenty of other songs with a same message? Sure. Is he the best musician out there? Nope. Maybe it comes from a shared bond as a fellow Appalachian Virginian, but there is something appealing to me about his sound. It's just very authentic.

I for one have learned that if someone likes something just like them like it rather than rag them out about it.

Except Seinfeld.

Seinfeld sucks.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 04:19 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I'm genuinely curious as to why you find this song compelling? Personally, I found it to be very low-effort and unoriginal.

I think that's part of the attraction for people. It's not prepped and packaged. 

The musicianship is not tops but the voice is very soulful and expressive. 

My ears aren't so good so I had to look up the lyrics to follow them:

“Well God, if you’re 5-foot-3 and you’re 300 pounds/ Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds.”

This doesn't sound down-the-middle-against-division; are rich men north of Richmond pro welfare or pro tax cuts? 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 02:46 AM)Dill Wrote: My ears aren't so good so I had to look up the lyrics to follow them:

“Well God, if you’re 5-foot-3 and you’re 300 pounds/ Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds.”

This doesn't sound down-the-middle-against-division; are rich men north of Richmond pro welfare or pro tax cuts? 

For this part of the world, that is a very centrist position to be honest. But as I point out on the regular, the majority of Americans do not hold ideologies so much as form ad hoc opinions on issues.

It's very common around these parts for folks to have that sort of view while at the same time looking for protections and benefits for the working class. It is a very Appalachian viewpoint where there is a pride in not relying on welfare while at the same time benefitting from programs that give them a hand up. The whole "hand up not a hand out" mentality is a prevalent one in these mountains and they do not understand the nuances involved in those policies the way someone like you and I do.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 08:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: I for one have learned that if someone likes something just like them like it rather than rag them out about it.

Except Seinfeld.

Seinfeld sucks.  Smirk

And Nu Metal.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 09:47 AM)samhain Wrote: And Nu Metal.  

When I was in HS my friends were into all kinds of metal...it was the early to mid 80s.  I even remember by best friend at the time had a "Mexican speed metal band" tape...lol.

I never really got into it a lot.

I'm more of a song guy. If I hear a song I like then I like it.  Doesn't really matter what genre. Sometimes I'll go and listen to more by that performer but I won't necessarily start listening to everything they do.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:45 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: For this part of the world, that is a very centrist position to be honest. But as I point out on the regular, the majority of Americans do not hold ideologies so much as form ad hoc opinions on issues.

It's very common around these parts for folks to have that sort of view while at the same time looking for protections and benefits for the working class. It is a very Appalachian viewpoint where there is a pride in not relying on welfare while at the same time benefitting from programs that give them a hand up. The whole "hand up not a hand out" mentality is a prevalent one in these mountains and they do not understand the nuances involved in those policies the way someone like you and I do.

Agreed. Also the animus against "welfare queens" is not limited to Appalachia.

It is an animus which cripples politics in favor of working folks though.   

Good articles from the NYorker and Atlantic. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 02:46 AM)Dill Wrote: My ears aren't so good so I had to look up the lyrics to follow them:

That's the problem.  They (ALL) are neither.  They're pro-themselves and &^%$ everyone else.
Reply/Quote

I mean it’s no Sam Hunt or Florida/Georgia Line…..
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: When I was in HS my friends were into all kinds of metal...it was the early to mid 80s.  I even remember by best friend at the time had a "Mexican speed metal band" tape...lol.

I never really got into it a lot.

I'm more of a song guy. If I hear a song I like then I like it.  Doesn't really matter what genre. Sometimes I'll go and listen to more by that performer but I won't necessarily start listening to everything they do.  

I like metal.  Classic, thrash, even progressive to a large extent.  Nu Metal just sucks.  Nu Metal is to metal what Insane Clown Posse is to rap.
Reply/Quote