Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring of shame team
Our awesome new ring of honor got me thinking about some of the truly horrendous players we've had over the years (that Geoff Hobson tried to convince us we're good). I've taken a stab at coming up with the worst group of starters possible from across the team's history.

What do you think? Who would you change. I was a child in the 80s so I'm obviously dating myself with these choices. I tried to only pick starters or guys who saw significant playing time.

QB: Akili Smith
RB: Kenny Watson
FB: Cliff Groce
WR: John Ross
WR: Ron Dugans
TE: Daniel Coates
LT: Scott Rehburg
LG: Nate Livings
C: Eric Ghiaciuc
RG: Alex Redmond
RT: Cedric Ogbhuehe

DE: Margus Hunt
DE: Jordan Willis
DT: Matthias Askew
DT: Devon Still
LB: Dontay Moch
LB: Brandon Bell
LB: Paul Dawson
CB: Juwan Armor
CB: Josh Shaw
S: Lamont Thompson
S: Ifeyani Ohalete

K: Neil Rackers
P: Nick Harris
LS: Brad St. Louis
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-08-2021, 06:16 PM)wcu Wrote: Our awesome new ring of honor got me thinking about some of the truly horrendous players we've had over the years (that Geoff Hobson tried to convince us we're good). I've taken a stab at coming up with the worst group of starters possible from across the team's history.

What do you think? Who would you change. I was a child in the 80s so I'm obviously dating myself with these choices. I tried to only pick starters or guys who saw significant playing time.

QB: Akili Smith
RB: Kenny Watson
FB: Cliff Groce
WR: John Ross
WR: Ron Dugans
TE: Daniel Coates
LT: Scott Rehburg
LG: Nate Livings
C: Eric Ghiaciuc
RG: Alex Redmond
RT: Cedric Ogbhuehe

DE: Margus Hunt
DE: Jordan Willis
DT: Matthias Askew
DT: Devon Still
LB: Dontay Moch
LB: Brandon Bell
LB: Paul Dawson
CB: Juwan Armor
CB: Josh Shaw
S: Lamont Thompson
S: Ifeyani Ohalete

K: Neil Rackers
P: Nick Harris
LS: Brad St. Louis

I'd replace Kenny Watson with Chris Perry. Watson was a FA addition and a 3rd down type of guy and was a good special teams player.

Perry was supposed to be an every down back who never met the high billing or draft status.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(04-08-2021, 06:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'd replace Kenny Watson with Chris Perry. Watson was a FA addition and a 3rd down type of guy and was a good special teams player.

Perry was supposed to be an every down back who never met the high billing or draft status.

Yeah I didn't feel great about putting Watson there. He was an ok back, but he was kind of thrown into a role he wasn't qualified for. Chris Perry is definitely a good one for the list. He also hurts so bad because we could have had Steven Jackson. 
I’d put Chase Coffman at TE.

Dude give me some Bernard Scott!
(04-08-2021, 06:38 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Dude give me some Bernard Scott!

How is he on there? He had a massive KR TD against the Steelers and he & Benson were the only two players to show up for 09 playoffs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
(04-08-2021, 06:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d put Chase Coffman at TE.

Sean Brewer in a landslide.

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...140127-001]
(04-08-2021, 06:41 PM)J24 Wrote: How is he on there? He had a massive KR TD against the Steelers and he & Benson were the only two players to show up for 09 playoffs.

Yeah he was a good returner and backup Rb. Can’t expect anything more from a 6th rounder.
(04-08-2021, 06:34 PM)wcu Wrote: Yeah I didn't feel great about putting Watson there. He was an ok back, but he was kind of thrown into a role he wasn't qualified for. Chris Perry is definitely a good one for the list. He also hurts so bad because we could have had Steven Jackson. 

No doubt.

Overall I like the list and really like the idea.

Maybe make a poll once a week on here and have the board vote on another position to fill in the ring of shame.

Start with QB, have a good competition between Klingler and Akili.

GTFO with Margus Hunt

Easily replaced with Will Clarke
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-08-2021, 06:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: GTFO with Margus Hunt

Pete Koch takes issue.

I don't know... Will Clarke was silently bad with little expectations. Margus Hunt had a whole lot of articles about going back to Olympic workouts and having big breakout years and such.

Might not be fair, but Hunt certainly got all the hype so the flop seems bigger. He was also 26 when they drafted him, which made him Brandon Weeden lite.

(Also worth noting that Clarke was picked a round later, played 3 years less than Hunt, but still has only 1.5 sacks less than Hunt despite having never started a game.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

Ohhh Will Clarke...

There is a bum among bums.

Freddie Childress at guard and Melvin Tuten at tackle come to mind.
Bobby hart should be right tackle,Cedric obugi playing left
Stanley Wilson at RB.
Jeremy Hill. Ultimately for his fumble and his stupid tweet after going to Patriots, playing 3Q's in game one and being injured and them winning the SB.

Ricky Dixon at dB, Sean brewer at T.E ( drafted between Chad and rudi)and Kenny irons at Rb. Don't forget reinard Wilson at lb/de. Don't sleep on cedric ogbuehi either. Oh forget about bob Dahl dt, that ended up being a guard for Washington I think, don't think he even played for us. Akili was the worse qb due to the trade that never was.
Most are too young to remember this name but THE worst starting LT for the Bengals was Rod 'toast' Jones who played w/ Klingler

Found this quote: Rod Jones truly earned his "toast" nickname, one Klingler concussion at a time.
(04-08-2021, 07:05 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Pete Koch takes issue.

I tried to keep it a little more recent. 

There's actually a 2nd round DE we drafted in 1991 in the second round that I'd never heard of. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]