Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring of shame team
(04-08-2021, 08:54 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Caleb Miller and his draft mate, Johnson.
Undersized LBs before it became a good thing.

But they weren't bad players.

Hardy Nickerson was a bad LB, not guys who racked up tackles to death, because the dline was porous.

(04-08-2021, 08:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We had that Center who won the Remington Award as a Junior and was a finalist for 3 years. He lasted one year.

Luigs. And we'll never know; he had a career-ending back injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
QB: Dan LaFevre

RB: That dude from Oklahoma that tore his ACl like 50 times

WR: Des "Don't call me Bryant" Briscoe

TE Orson "Road Rage" Charles

OT Jake "worse than Hart" Fisher

OG: Otis "My Man" Hudson

C: Johnathan "Remmington" Luigs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-08-2021, 09:05 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Played for Arkansas I think. 

Weren't there also linemen called Luigs and Kooistra that received a little hype from Hobson?

This doesn't really belong in this category,  but whatever happened to Quan Cosby? IIRC, he had a decent rookie year as a point returner,  and feel off the NFL the next year. 

The C was Luigs

Quan owns one of the greatest plays I've ever seen in my long depressing fan of the Bengals. Dude had 3 blocks on a Bernard Scott KR for a TD
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-08-2021, 09:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: But they weren't bad players.

Hardy Nickerson was a bad LB, not guys who racked up tackles to death, because the dline was porous.

Luigs. And we'll never know; he had a career-ending back injury.

The only thing they're known for was making tacklesten yards of the LOS. We had a revolving door of low end LBS for a long time under Marvin that these guys seemed no worse by comparison. But they weren't good. 
(04-08-2021, 09:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The C was Luigs

Quan owns one of the greatest plays I've ever seen in my long depressing fan of the Bengals. Dude had 3 blocks on a Bernard Scott KR for a TD

Yeah,  Quan had quite a rookie year. I don't pay attention the next off-season, and I tune in just before the season starts
 and never heard his name again. 
Is it too soon to add add Drew Sample?
(04-08-2021, 08:52 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Except he wasn't bad.

This is largely revisionist history, as someone like Jones only had 10 INTs in an 11-year career as a starter, while Artrell had 9 in 6 years, was much more active with ball skills and was a decent run CB and managed 3 sacks on top of it.

Artrell was never a world-beater, but he wasn't a, "bad CB."

You might be right here.  I know he was burned many a time,  but I think he might have been the DB who won a game against Detroit by taking  a Scott Mitchell (another Bengals gem) pick 90 something yards to the house for the game winning score.

EDIT:
Speaking of Bengals' gems, the Akili, Mitchell, Frerotte triumvirate deserve their own wing in this Ring. Frerotte's left handed pick is in HOF of Bengals' bungles.
(04-08-2021, 08:52 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Except he wasn't bad.

This is largely revisionist history, as someone like Jones only had 10 INTs in an 11-year career as a starter, while Artrell had 9 in 6 years, was much more active with ball skills and was a decent run CB and managed 3 sacks on top of it.

Artrell was never a world-beater, but he wasn't a, "bad CB."

Our defense posted these rankings in opp passer rating during Artrell's tenure:

27th (out of 30)
30th (out of 31)
26th (out of 31)
24th (out of 31)
32nd (out of 32)
25th (out of 32)

Sure, he's only one guy...but he was a big piece of the secondary for all those years, and saw his fair share of targets. I don't remember watching him or any of those guys and thinking "he's a decent player stuck on a bad team".

I did have him as the best of a bad bunch, hence why I didn't put him on my team, even with 3 CB's. I wouldn't say he was decent though. More like "less bad". LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(04-08-2021, 09:23 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: You might be right here.  I know he was burned many a time,  but I think he might have been the DB who win a game against Detroit by taking  a Scott Mitchell (another Bengals gem) pick 90 something years to the house for the game winning score.

Wasn't him, sadly; his only pick6 was against Houston, when Mitchell was on our team LOL

I think a lot of people remember our team on the whole, just getting picked on to death and he happened to be one of starting corners on those teams, so he's remembered for negative things, when his non-coverage stats really weren't bad at the time at all (I wish we could pull up those numbers nowadays)

(04-08-2021, 09:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Our defense posted these rankings in opp passer rating during Artrell's tenure:

27th (out of 30)
30th (out of 31)
26th (out of 31)
24th (out of 31)
32nd (out of 32)
25th (out of 32)

Sure, he's only one guy...but he was a big piece of the secondary for all those years, and saw his fair share of targets. I don't remember watching him or any of those guys and thinking "he's a decent player stuck on a bad team".

I did have him as the best of a bad bunch, hence why I didn't put him on my team, even with 3 CB's. I wouldn't say he was decent though. More like "less bad". LOL

Like I said above, he just happened to be one of the guys who was constantly and consistently picked on, due to a shitty D (like the LBs mentioned above, with the run).

They weren't good-enough to overcome the shortcomings of the guys up-front, but they weren't wholly the cause of the negative play.
(04-08-2021, 09:22 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: Is it too soon to add add Drew Sample?

With Brewer, Coffman, Charles, Sadowski, Colin Cochart, etc., Sample isn't in the same realm as any of them.
A lot of these names reminds me how I did not like Marvin's drafting,and he was said to be a draft guru for years. I always seen he took player A when he should of took player B. Had so many drafts when the picks didn't do nothing. He got lucky with Geno in the 4th and maybe Andrew whitworth in the 2nd. The character guys he took was memorable but really did us no good in the end.
(04-08-2021, 09:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: With Brewer, Coffman, Charles, Sadowski, Colin Cochart, etc., Sample isn't in the same realm as any of them.

Wasn't Brewer the one who was shocked he was drafted so high and was smoking cigarettes?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Wait, so after many years of clamoring for a ring of honor, the team finally goes that direction. Yet, the first thing that happens on the message board, is some fool decided to come up with a "ring of shame", and the rest of you fools just jump on board with it??

Be proud that our team's management has turned a corner. Don't make foolishness of it. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-08-2021, 09:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wait, so after many years of clamoring for a ring of honor, the team finally goes that direction.  Yet, the first thing that happens on the message board, is some fool decided to come up with a "ring of shame", and the rest of you fools just jump on board with it??

Be proud that our team's management has turned a corner.  Don't make foolishness of it.   Mellow

I didn't really see it as dumping on the front office or anything. Just having a laugh about some of our worst players.

Every team has great players worthy of honoring, and players who were...the opposite of that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.