Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy
(05-06-2022, 08:34 AM)jmccracky Wrote: I worked for Cintas from 2013 until 2020. There was a guy from New Zealand who flew back to his home country, to have carpal tunnel surgery.  It was cheaper for him to do all that, than it was to use our supposed "awesome insurance". Lol. 

It's ridiculous that we can't have a much better health system in the richest country in the world. 

You don't get wealthy by being good to people.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 02:41 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Best in the world eh?

Must be why our infant mortality rate is so high.

Oh, and the maternal mortality rate, don't forget that one.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Oh hey for everyone thinking the SCotUS isn't going to attack other rights, they're debating whether or not Miranda Rights are Constitutional.

I'm sure it's nothing.
Reply/Quote
Has anyone floated the conspiracy theory that this is being done to supply the already overburdened and sex-crime riddled foster care system with more easily exploited children?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 03:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Has anyone floated the conspiracy theory that this is being done to supply the already overburdened and sex-crime riddled foster care system with more easily exploited children?

REPUBLICAN CHILD SEX TRAFFICKING!!!

Yes. it feels right.  It's TRUE then!!

And the scandal goes all the way to the Supreme Court.

The deafening media silence around this issue proves their complicity as well. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:34 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Oh hey for everyone thinking the SCotUS isn't going to attack other rights, they're debating whether or not Miranda Rights are Constitutional.

I'm sure it's nothing.

Settle down BigP. You are over reacting big time.

Sure, maybe the Miranda decision was egregiously wrong,

but it's SETTLED LAW now for Christ's sake. 

The era of activist judges is over.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:34 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Oh hey for everyone thinking the SCotUS isn't going to attack other rights, they're debating whether or not Miranda Rights are Constitutional.

I'm sure it's nothing.

Saying that Miranda was a constitutional right was ridiculous. I don’t mind if states want to pass laws saying the police have to read people their rights, but calling it a constitutional right is laughable.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 02:41 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Best in the world eh?

Must be why our infant mortality rate is so high.

It’s not so cut and dry. We count early term births and not every country does. I’m sure there are educational differences and socio economic difference, but that’s not really on the medical field. If I had a sick child this is where I would want to be.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 08:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Saying that Miranda was a constitutional right was ridiculous.  I don’t mind if states want to pass laws saying the police have to read people their rights, but calling it a constitutional right is laughable.

Yeah, why would we want people to know their Constitutional rights when they're being detained? Makes it harder to trick them into confessing to crimes they didn't commit. Gotta pump those arrest numbers up! Those for profit prisons ain't gonna fill themselves.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 08:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s not so cut and dry. We count early term births and not every country does.  I’m sure there are educational differences and socio economic difference, but that’s not really on the medical field. If I had a sick child this is where I would want to be.

I rolled my eyes so hard at this I may have gone cross eyed. Definitely an instant headache from it.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 12:29 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Yeah, why would we want people to know their Constitutional rights when they're being detained? Makes it harder to trick them into confessing to crimes they didn't commit. Gotta pump those arrest numbers up! Those for profit prisons ain't gonna fill themselves.

I see we are reading what we want to read. Let me clarify. Thinking something is a good idea does not make it a constitutional right. That’s what laws are for. Now you can do you artichoke thingy.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 12:31 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I rolled my eyes so hard at this I may have gone cross eyed. Definitely an instant headache from it.

You’re in luck. We have the best doctors in the world.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 08:58 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You’re in luck. We have the best doctors in the world.

Eh I'll take my chances where babies and women don't die at an alarming rate for a first world country. 

I'll give you gymnastics routine a 2/10, though. I feel like I could tell how hard you're trying to actually regurgitate the same nonsense talking points I've heard from everyone else on that spectrum, so nothing new and nothing provocative. Try to be more original in your next routine.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 08:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I see we are reading what we want to read.  Let me clarify. Thinking something is a good idea does not make it a constitutional right. That’s what laws are for.  Now you can do you artichoke thingy.

Someone is definitely reading what they want; you at least got that part right. 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 09:33 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Someone is definitely reading what they want; you at least got that part right. 

Please explain.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 10:57 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Please explain.

No one ever said it was a Constitutional right; they're debating whether even having them is Constitutional.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 11:14 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: No one ever said it was a Constitutional right; they're debating whether even having them is Constitutional.

The Supreme Court said it was a constitutional right. They are debating whether they are in fact a constitutional right because if not then the guy can’t sue the cop. Nobody is saying it’s unconstitutional to have a law requiring Miranda.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 08:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Saying that Miranda was a constitutional right was ridiculous.  I don’t mind if states want to pass laws saying the police have to read people their rights, but calling it a constitutional right is laughable.

Does the Constitution take a stance on self-incrimination and the right to counsel? 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 04:36 PM)Dill Wrote: Does the Constitution take a stance on self-incrimination and the right to counsel? 

Yes it does

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 04:36 PM)Dill Wrote: Does the Constitution take a stance on self-incrimination and the right to counsel? 

(05-08-2022, 07:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yes it does

I think Michael's point, which I hope isn't being intentionally misconstrued, is that making people aware of their constitutional rights isn't required by the Constitution.  This would be the crux of the debate around the Miranda decision.
Reply/Quote