Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron Desantis and the 1st Amendment
If a protest gets a permit to assemble in the street, they should be able to. Limiting local jurisdictions in allowing it is wrong.

Keeping anyone arrested during a protest locked up until their court appearance is also dumb and will be abused.

The affirmative defense is also troubling given Florida's attitude of citizens shooting at any slight. I read it as providing an out for anyone who pulls a Rittenhouse if the person they killed was deemed to have been part of an unlawful assembly.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 08:53 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If a protest gets a permit to assemble in the street, they should be able to. Limiting local jurisdictions in allowing it is wrong.

Keeping anyone arrested during a protest locked up until their court appearance is also dumb and will be abused.

The affirmative defense is also troubling given Florida's attitude of citizens shooting at any slight. I read it as providing an out for anyone who pulls a Rittenhouse if the person they killed was deemed to have been part of an unlawful assembly.

In other words white supremacist's are licking their chops....and oiling their guns.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 10:30 PM)Stewy Wrote: In other words white supremacist's are licking their chops....and oiling their guns.
They were under an administration that looked the other way. They'll MOSTLY shrink away into the shadows again. I view Trump as a last dying gasp of a party on the ropes. The civil war they were looking for is now only going to happen inside their party as Trump either ignited enthusiasm or drove people away. I consider us fortunate that they clung to an incompetent buffoon instead of a clever wordsmith that never revealed who he was. Trump is a walking confession machine that was easy to see through.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 08:53 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If a protest gets a permit to assemble in the street, they should be able to. Limiting local jurisdictions in allowing it is wrong.

The party of big government strikes again.

Mellow

I've probably made my thoughts known on 1A issues enough, but prohibiting people from assembling in the street if local ordinances allow and potentially jailing people 'indefinitely' are extremely disturbing. I think the majority of people would like to see protests be a lot safer, but giving up a freedom for safety is a bad idea. 
Reply/Quote
Just was reading today that this law specifically around social media funny enough had already been shot down in another form in the past based on another Florida law in Miami Herald vs Tornillo. SCOTUS affirmed that a private organization has its own 1A right to determine who gets a voice on its platform and is not required to provide its platform to anyone, not even a politician.
Reply/Quote