Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rookie Minicamp
(05-14-2021, 07:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jimmie Robinson is the same size as Pooka Williams.
Robinson - 5'8", 175 lb
Pooka - 5'8, 175 lb

Robinson has 4.28 speed whereas Pooka has 4.38.

Robinson has a lot of KR experience and success (29.2 avg on 55 attempts with 4 TD in 2018-2019), but he really wasn't that good of a WR on a team that played in the MEAC, which is very weak competition. He did rush for 536 yards on 63 attempts (8.5 avg) in 2018-2019.
Meanwhile, Pooka has also been good on KRs (24.6 avg on 18 attempts with 1 TD), and he's been a dynamic rusher and receiver at RB in the Big 12.
No way could Pooka play RB in the NFL, but I think he can easily make the transition to slot and gadget WR while also doing ST. Maybe same with Robinson.

Should be interesting to see if either Robinson or Pooka makes the roster.

Yeah. We could use someone in that role. Lees. Pooka. Robinson. Maybe Evans. As a FA, Westbrook is that type of guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 01:41 PM)pally Wrote: already putting in extra work

[Image: 200w.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 07:34 PM)Stewy Wrote: wish him a quick recovery

Same.
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEC7vN28pTw
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 12:19 PM)pally Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[Image: youre-doin-it-i-say-youre-doin-it-all-wrong-son.jpg]

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 11:23 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEC7vN28pTw

Thanks for posting. That RB we drafted looks pretty good/fast. Chase looks great. 
Reply/Quote
A couple bits from The Athletic regarding the rookie that most of us are focused on (basically his back feels great and he already loves Pollack).

“It was awesome just being able to play football again,” Carman said. “It’s a blessing being able to be out there and moving around and feel loose, it felt great. Especially with what I went through in my pre-draft process. I was blessed to have a good team to do my surgery and a good team to do my rehab. I feel great right now.”

“We were working on me getting more comfortable in my guard stance and critiquing the nuances and different weight shifting and where my feet exactly should be,” he said. “Different weight angles and things like that. Just fine-tuning some things. I love coach Frank Pollack and everything he’s teaching me. He’s a great teacher and a great coach. I’m really excited learning from him so far.”

The last few sentences are music to my ears after what we went though with Turner for 2 years...

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 11:23 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEC7vN28pTw

Reps BengalsBong. Man, I knew Chase had great quicks but how are you going to stay with that man when he just puts on the
breaks going 100 MPH? Dude is gonna break some ankles. Also that Pooka Williams looks fast as hell out there and a natural with
his hands he might be an answer for us on Punt Returns and as another Receiver. Chris Evans also looks great catching the ball,
no surprise.

Carman is a monster.Twitch
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 07:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jimmie Robinson is the same size as Pooka Williams.
Robinson - 5'8", 175 lb
Pooka - 5'8, 175 lb

Robinson has 4.28 speed whereas Pooka has 4.38.

Robinson has a lot of KR experience and success (29.2 avg on 55 attempts with 4 TD in 2018-2019), but he really wasn't that good of a WR on a team that played in the MEAC, which is very weak competition. He did rush for 536 yards on 63 attempts (8.5 avg) in 2018-2019.
Meanwhile, Pooka has also been good on KRs (24.6 avg on 18 attempts with 1 TD), and he's been a dynamic rusher and receiver at RB in the Big 12.
No way could Pooka play RB in the NFL, but I think he can easily make the transition to slot and gadget WR while also doing ST. Maybe same with Robinson.

Should be interesting to see if either Robinson or Pooka makes the roster.

Good to know. Pooka looked really quick and fast in the Minicamp vid. Didn't know anything about Jimmie Robinson but 4.28
is flying. Are these guys able to return Punts? This is what we need as Brandon Wilson is our Kick Returner. I think Phillips 
could very well end up being a starter for us so don't want to risk him on Punts.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 02:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A couple bits from The Athletic regarding the rookie that most of us are focused on (basically his back feels great and he already loves Pollack).

“It was awesome just being able to play football again,” Carman said. “It’s a blessing being able to be out there and moving around and feel loose, it felt great. Especially with what I went through in my pre-draft process. I was blessed to have a good team to do my surgery and a good team to do my rehab. I feel great right now.”

“We were working on me getting more comfortable in my guard stance and critiquing the nuances and different weight shifting and where my feet exactly should be,” he said. “Different weight angles and things like that. Just fine-tuning some things. I love coach Frank Pollack and everything he’s teaching me. He’s a great teacher and a great coach. I’m really excited learning from him so far.”

The last few sentences are music to my ears after what we went though with Turner for 2 years...

Rock On Jackson sure is a classy dude. Love the pick more and more and yeah, Pollack being here is so refreshing.
Reply/Quote
Can anyone explain the DL drill where they push the bag but fall flat on their stomachs? I don’t understand why they wouldn’t drive with their legs.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 03:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Can anyone explain the DL drill where they push the bag but fall flat on their stomachs? I don’t understand why they wouldn’t drive with their legs.

I think it is just about practicing punch, but yeah not a good idea to ever be on the ground in football.

Carman would be pancaking Shelvin in that drill. Should always have your feet underneath you.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 09:54 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Thanks for posting. That RB we drafted looks pretty good/fast. Chase looks great. 

Ya Chris Evans looks smooth. I think he will take the #3 spot by the end of the year. He’s one of those guys who is deceptively good like Mostert in SF. Nothing about what they do is eye popping yet they are running all over the yard. Hope he does well here if needed.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think it is just about practicing punch, but yeah not a good idea to ever be on the ground in football.

Carman would be pancaking Shelvin in that drill. Should always have your feet underneath you.

My only thought is it’s to reduce risk of leg injuries? Idk, but obviously the coaches know better than I do haha
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 04:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya Chris Evans looks smooth. I think he will take the #3 spot by the end of the year. He’s one of those guys who is deceptively good like Mostert in SF. Nothing about what they do is eye popping yet they are running all over the yard. Hope he does well here if needed.

Chris Evans does remind me of Mostert, nice comparison. Maybe not as fast as Mostert but more smooth, honestly a lot like 
Rodney our RB we had who couldn't stay healthy. Traveon better be watching his back cause this guy could be really good.

(05-15-2021, 04:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: My only thought is it’s to reduce risk of leg injuries? Idk, but obviously the coaches know better than I do haha

Guess that is the thought, just to practice your upper body punch, they had Ossai doing it too.

I think Hobby knows what he is doing, has a good resume'.
Reply/Quote
Joseph Ossai could be just as good as Carl Lawson as a rookie but can drop back. What a steal. Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 04:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Joseph Ossai could be just as good as Carl Lawson as a rookie but can drop back. What a steal. Cool

I don’t think he’s quite as physically gifted as Lawson but he appears to be relentless in pursuit which helps him make up for that. I’ll reserve judgment till we see him on the field in a Bengals uniform but I believe he will be a pretty good player for us.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 04:24 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I don’t think he’s quite as physically gifted as Lawson but he appears to be relentless in pursuit which helps him make up for that. I’ll reserve judgment till we see him on the field in a Bengals uniform but I believe he will be a pretty good player for us.

Maybe not as strong as Carl, but Joseph is quicker, faster, more versatile and is a much better run stopper. Takes great angles
and get tons of tackles for loss. I expect much more than just a pretty good player with Ossai.
Reply/Quote
I gotta say, watching Chase, the first thing I noticed is that he's really quick off the line, and it looks effortless for him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 03:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Can anyone explain the DL drill where they push the bag but fall flat on their stomachs? I don’t understand why they wouldn’t drive with their legs.

Goal line defense.  You want your tackles punching the OL back off the ball, with full extension, to allow second level defenders to fill those gaps and create the inpenetrable pile.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote