Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roseanne canceled by ABC
(05-30-2018, 01:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I recall the debut getting some praise from people who try to convince me that every other show on tv does the exact same thing with liberal politics

Still the characters didn't act very political outside of simply yelling if they liked Trump or not, which made it seem even more out of place .

It was definitely forced and contrived.  And now it just reminded me of the first Will&Grace reboot episode.  That was a hard one to watch as well, then they went along their way after that.  Which really made the first episodes of both just stupid.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-30-2018, 11:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, they wouldn't even be relevant enough for a bizarre reboot without said idiot, so what can you do?  I can't imagine any of them saw making a career move in 2018 based around a "constantly apologizing for being systematically offensive" Roseanne as anything other than building a house upon sand.

The money people who gave this thing the green light can act as surprised as they wish, but the whole thing was likely a front-loaded cash grab to appeal to Trump supporters and nostalgia freaks before Roseanne ruins it with her off-stage antics.  

I wont speak for Michaelson, but I think he was referring to the 200 or so workers on the show, aka the "blue collar folks". The behind the scenes ones like lighting, set builders, etc.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-30-2018, 01:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I wont speak for Michaelson, but I think he was referring to the 200 or so workers on the show, aka the "blue collar folks". The behind the scenes ones like lighting, set builders, etc.

That was my take, as well. It's a fair thing to discuss. I will just add that people in that industry are unionized at a very high rate, so it is likely that they will be okay until the find a new gig.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Yeah after thinking about, no apology is enough to keep her show on though, not after using the reference she used. Making political jokes or comments is one thing, but this crossed another line in itself.

Of course, our Twitterer in Chief didnt criticize what Rosanne said, but instead criticized ABC chief for not issuing an apology to him for some things said about him in the past.

"Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?"
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-30-2018, 08:40 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Interesting take on things, since many would say that that was exactly the same strategy which put a reality TV persona into the White House.

Most of the people I've dealt with that voted Trump were older. He was very popular with the elderly where I'm at. Also working class folks in their 30's through 50's. These people would remember Trump more as a business tycoon and tabloid topic rather than for "the Apprentice". Fwiw, I'm not sure how much Apprentice would appeal to the younger generations anyway.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(05-30-2018, 01:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I wont speak for Michaelson, but I think he was referring to the 200 or so workers on the show, aka the "blue collar folks". The behind the scenes ones like lighting, set builders, etc.

Good point.   All I ever think about is Michael Fishman .
(05-30-2018, 12:22 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm with ya. Terrible tweet, but she gave what looked like a sincere apology and swore off twitter. I 100% get the firing, but I prefer forgiveness and 2nd chances when warranted. Especially for words.

As for the show. Meh. I'd rather have Last Man Standing - which is coming back.  ThumbsUp

she swore off twitter for all of 5 minutes, and was back posting crazy bullshit afterwards
People suck
(05-30-2018, 02:47 PM)Griever Wrote: she swore off twitter for all of 5 minutes, and was back posting crazy bullshit afterwards

It was 12 hours LIAR  Tongue
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-30-2018, 01:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Most of the people I've dealt with that voted Trump were older. He was very popular with the elderly where I'm at. Also working class folks in their 30's through 50's. These people would remember Trump more as a business tycoon and tabloid topic rather than for "the Apprentice". Fwiw, I'm not sure how much Apprentice would appeal to the younger generations anyway.

The people in their 30's through 50's remember him from the "Apprentice". Some of the older folk too. But you are right, with the older people it is more about the businessman/tabloid header. Even today, I see Trump plastered on the newspaper tabloids (Star,Enquirer, whatever) when I go through the checkout at the supermarket.

Still, in my mind there isn't much difference between a 'tabloid star' and a 'reality TV star'. Just a different medium. Same critter. Wink
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
I've got to say, this was one of my favorite products of this incident.

Quote:“People of all races, religions and nationalities work at Sanofi every day to improve the lives of people around the world,” the U.S. division of pharmaceutical giant Sanofi said in a tweet Wednesday. “While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.”

Cool
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-30-2018, 02:47 PM)Griever Wrote: she swore off twitter for all of 5 minutes, and was back posting crazy bullshit afterwards

Ha. Wow.

(05-30-2018, 04:15 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The people in their 30's through 50's remember him from the "Apprentice". Some of the older folk too. But you are right, with the older people it is more about the businessman/tabloid header. Even today, I see Trump plastered on the newspaper tabloids (Star,Enquirer, whatever) when I go through the checkout at the supermarket.

Still, in my mind there isn't much difference between a 'tabloid star' and a 'reality TV star'. Just a different medium. Same critter. Wink

I'm 37 and I remember him more for being the most famous rich guy in the country. Heck, that probably played a huge role in him hosting The Apprentice in the first place. Rappers in the 90's and early 2000's used to talk about having Bill Gates or Donald Trump money. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(05-30-2018, 01:42 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah after thinking about, no apology is enough to keep her show on though, not after using the reference she used. Making political jokes or comments  is one thing, but this crossed another line in itself.

Of course, our Twitterer in Chief didnt criticize what Rosanne said, but instead criticized ABC chief for not issuing an apology to him for some things said about him in the past.

"Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?"

[Image: 95I7Syb.jpg]
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(05-30-2018, 07:17 PM)6andcounting Wrote: [Image: 95I7Syb.jpg]

He has a point though. It's okay to make horrible comments about one politician, but not the other?
(05-30-2018, 07:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He has a point though. It's okay to make horrible comments about one politician, but not the other?

What specific comments is he referring to, though? Were there comments made by ABC affiliated persons that are on par with what Roseanne said? Asking because I don't know. I've not heard of any that would be to that level.

(05-30-2018, 07:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What specific comments is he referring to, though? Were there comments made by ABC affiliated persons that are on par with what Roseanne said? Asking because I don't know. I've not heard of any that would be to that level.

ESPN Sports Anchor:

Back on Sept. 11, 2017, Hill tweeted, “Donald Trump is a white supremacist who has surrounded himself with other white supremacists.” Hill also called Trump a “bigot,” and “unqualified and unfit to be president.” She added, “If he were not white, he never would have been elected.” 

I could probably find a couple more if I took another 3 minutes. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-30-2018, 07:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ESPN Sports Anchor:

Back on Sept. 11, 2017, Hill tweeted, “Donald Trump is a white supremacist who has surrounded himself with other white supremacists.” Hill also called Trump a “bigot,” and “unqualified and unfit to be president.” She added, “If he were not white, he never would have been elected.” 

I don't see opinions of someone based upon their words and actions to be comparable to racist commentary. That's just me. Now, the last comment comes close, but that is more commentary on the state of our society than it is Trump. More a commentary on those that voted for him.

Not saying Hill's comments were appropriate, but that's not the same sort of commentary.

(05-30-2018, 08:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't see opinions of someone based upon their words and actions to be comparable to racist commentary. That's just me. Now, the last comment comes close, but that is more commentary on the state of our society than it is Trump. More a commentary on those that voted for him.

Not saying Hill's comments were appropriate, but that's not the same sort of commentary.

Of course you don't see them as the same; because they were most likely something you find a degree of truth in. Of course her comments were based in race as she said she was not referring to Ben Carson.

So if you agree they were not appropriate (I see how you worded it), do you think that's something that earns an apology?

As to another: The actor that feigned outrage and "quit" has called Trump much worse to include calling him an orangutan. Then she cussed out an audience after they booed here for uttering such hate driven comments. 

Jimmy Kimmel has made numerous comments regarding Trump's personal appearance.

I could take another 3 minutes and find more or you could just concede that remarks about Trump's appearance have been made by ABC affiliates and no apology was issued.

There's only one reason Rosanne's comments are painted as more severe: It was because they were made against a person of color and that color was not orange.  

(05-30-2018, 08:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course you don't see them as the same; because they were most likely something you find a degree of truth in. Of course her comments were based in race as she said she was not referring to Ben Carson.

While I do find a degree of truth in them, that's not the reason I don't find them equivalent. There is a difference between speaking about someone's words and actions and making racist commentary.

(05-30-2018, 08:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So if you agree they were not appropriate (I see how you worded it), do you think that's something that earns an apology?

Not really. I don't think ABC needed to apologize for Roseanne's comments, either.

(05-30-2018, 08:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to another: The actor that feigned outrage and "quit" has called Trump much worse to include calling him an orangutan. Then she cussed out an audience after they booed here for uttering such hate driven comments. 

Jimmy Kimmel has made numerous comments regarding Trump's personal appearance.

I could take another 3 minutes and find more or you could just concede that remarks about Trump's appearance have been made by ABC affiliates and no apology was issued.

Making fun of someone's appearance is not equivalent to making racist comments.

(05-30-2018, 08:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's only one reason Rosanne's comments are painted as more severe: It was because they were made against a person of color and that color was not orange.  

They were racist. That's why her comments were more severe.

(05-30-2018, 08:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: 1. While I do find a degree of truth in them, that's not the reason I don't find them equivalent. There is a difference between speaking about someone's words and actions and making racist commentary.

2. Not really. I don't think ABC needed to apologize for Roseanne's comments, either.

3. Making fun of someone's appearance is not equivalent to making racist comments.

4. They were racist. That's why her comments were more severe.

1. They were racist in nature; if not why do she state she was not talking about Ben Carson when she stated surrounded by racists? Do you think it's because his words and actions were different or do you think maybe, just maybe it had to do with his race?

2. If you think comments about personal appearance made by your employee doesn't require an apology; then we disagree. 

3. Of course it is; when talking solely about personal appearance. 

4. Trump looks like an orangutan, VJ looks like an ape. Only someone focused on race would find one of those 2 comments to be more severe. 

I can only assume that you do not wish to concede that comments have been made by ABC employees and no apology was issued? Because by your standard there is nothing that could be said that could be racist toward Trump. 

(05-30-2018, 07:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ESPN Sports Anchor:

Didn't Keith Olbermann call him a Nazi and a bunch of words I can't repeat here?