Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roseanne canceled by ABC
(05-31-2018, 05:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm just letting you know that you did not use the word correctly. Every major dictionary and even your online dictionary defines the word as characterizing someone as possessing a limited intellectual capacity. It can't be applied to an inanimate object or an abstract concept unless you're using the offensive slang definition of "stupid".

There's no longer any reason for the word to be used. One definition is no longer used clinically and one is an insulting slang term. 
I appreciate the attempt at a grammar lesson and have already noted your disgust with its use. 

The origin of the word is from the Latin and means to delay or make slow. As you will notice the beginning of the definition is "characterized by a slowness". Just because someone decided that it is offensive when used to describe a person with mental disabilities does not take away from its meaning or usage in grammar. 

Going by your "it cannot be applied to an abstract concept". Sure it could. One who believes that would just have to assume the personification of thought.   
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-31-2018, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would there be any slur directed at a white person that you would consider equivalent?

There are terms like "honkey" and "cracker", but they don't carry a lot of weight because whites have never been oppressed by other races in this country.  Irish, Italians, and other Catholics suffered persecution when they immigrated here but they were basically the same color as the white people discriminating against them.

Negative stereotypes about white people include "lacking rhythm" and "can't jump".
(05-31-2018, 06:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are terms like "honkey" and "cracker", but they don't carry a lot of weight because whites have never been oppressed by other races in this country.  Irish, Italians, and other Catholics suffered persecution when they immigrated here but they were basically the same color as the white people discriminating against them.

Negative stereotypes about white people include "lacking rhythm" and "can't jump".

How about small hands is that a racial stereotype?

(05-31-2018, 06:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How about small hands is that a racial stereotype?

No.

There is a negative stereotype that Asians have small dicks, so maybe to them, but I have never heard "small hands" used as a racial stereotype.
(05-31-2018, 06:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How about small hands is that a racial stereotype?

No, but saying a black person has huge honkin banana grabbers can be considered as such 
(05-31-2018, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.

There is a negative stereotype that Asians have small dicks, so maybe to them, but I have never heard "small hands" used as a racial stereotype.

Hows about White Trash?

(05-31-2018, 06:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hows about White Trash?

That is more a socioeconomic or cultural term like "hick" or "redneck".  It does not apply to all white people.
(05-31-2018, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would there be any slur directed at a white person that you would consider equivalent?

For instance Tom Arnold called him White Trash on CNN. Should CNN apologize to Trump for airing such comments?

fake news
locker room talk
he didnt say that, but if he did say it he didnt mean it, but if he did mean it, he meant it as a joke

am i using all of the excuses that people gave trump correctly?
People suck

For instance Tom Arnold called him White Trash on CNN. Should CNN apologize to Trump for airing such comments?

Yes, that is a racist comment. I don't know Tom Arnold's affiliation, but I don't see why CNN should apologize for him, just as I don't think it was ABC's place to apologize for Roseanne.

(05-31-2018, 07:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is more a socioeconomic or cultural term like "hick" or "redneck".  It does not apply to all white people.

No, it's different. There are people of color that are rednecks and hicks.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Bfine, you'll have to find a term millions of White Americans were called prior to their lynching to find an equivalent.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(05-31-2018, 05:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: lol no

Look at what the smart apes look like. Then look at what the dumbest ones look like.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall