Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roseanne canceled by ABC
(05-31-2018, 11:43 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I liked Rand and his pops until they said a guy who supported bans on oral sex was a more "liberty" candidate than a libertarian who suggested taxing people based on their use of roads rather than taxing all people equally.

Yeah, that was pretty bad. I remember that. That was when I was more of a libertarian, myself, too.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-30-2018, 07:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He has a point though. It's okay to make horrible comments about one politician, but not the other?

(05-30-2018, 07:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What specific comments is he referring to, though? Were there comments made by ABC affiliated persons that are on par with what Roseanne said? Asking because I don't know. I've not heard of any that would be to that level.

From what I've been seeing, people are suggesting a centuries old racist meme is the same as calling someone out for own words.

(05-30-2018, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 4. You pretty much confirmed what I asserted. One is "more" racist because of the race we focus on. The tired opinion is we cannot all be equal now because of what happened in the past is ******** in its logic

Really no need to use that word
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-31-2018, 11:45 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: From what I've been seeing, people are suggesting a centuries old racist meme is the same as calling someone out for own words.

That's what I'm gathering. That or trying to equate making fun of someone's appearance to racist commentary.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-31-2018, 11:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's what I'm gathering. That or trying to equate making fun of someone's appearance to racist commentary.

My commentary was based on just what I had seen, not necessary the discussion that followed, but the most frequent responses were "Why is the View still on?". Apparently being critical is as bad as being racist. 

I disagree with the argument in this thread that mocking someone for chemicals they put on their body is as bad as repeating centuries old racist themes. Is it any worse than my frequent mockery of his poor eating and work habits? I don't think making fun of him watching TV and eating McDonalds is as bad as being racist, and in my view it's a personal choice he makes, like using orange spray tans. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

if anything she insulting the apes from PotA..... But Roseanne is Roseanne. Why every comment someone makes is blown into mountain sized proportions is very confusing...
Some comments by Joe Rogan (whatever you think of him) about this.  

For what it's worth.
(05-31-2018, 12:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: My commentary was based on just what I had seen, not necessary the discussion that followed, but the most frequent responses were "Why is the View still on?". Apparently being critical is as bad as being racist. 

I disagree with the argument in this thread that mocking someone for chemicals they put on their body is as bad as repeating centuries old racist themes. Is it any worse than my frequent mockery of his poor eating and work habits? I don't think making fun of him watching TV and eating McDonalds is as bad as being racist, and in my view it's a personal choice he makes, like using orange spray tans. 

People always say Bush 43 looked like a chimp.  I get the difference, but if we are going to say that saying one race looks like something is racist because of its history, maybe we should refrain from calling people outside that race the same thing.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-31-2018, 12:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Some comments by Joe Rogan (whatever you think of him) about this.  

For what it's worth.

I listened to the first few minutes.  I don't know that Ambien is going to cause you to say things you don't believe, but it is messed up stuff if you listen to all the stories about it.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-31-2018, 01:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: People always say Bush 43 looked like a chimp.  I get the difference, but if we are going to say that saying one race looks like something is racist because of its history, maybe we should refrain from calling people outside that race the same thing.  

While I don't necessarily agree with the premise, I do agree with the conclusion. Calling anyone something that is not human is degrading and unnecessary, no matter your opinions of them.

(05-31-2018, 11:45 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: From what I've been seeing, people are suggesting a centuries old racist meme is the same as calling someone out for own words.

Really no need to use that word

We've been over this before and it's a word a use in it's correct form often as it is the perfect adjective to describe such thought.

adjective

1. characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.
I have never used it as a noun to slur an individual in my adult life
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-30-2018, 07:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ESPN Sports Anchor:

Back on Sept. 11, 2017, Hill tweeted, “Donald Trump is a white supremacist who has surrounded himself with other white supremacists.” Hill also called Trump a “bigot,” and “unqualified and unfit to be president.” She added, “If he were not white, he never would have been elected.” 

I could probably find a couple more if I took another 3 minutes. 

she gave her opinion based on trumps words and actions

roseanne went after a black lady and basically called her an ape
People suck
(05-31-2018, 12:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: My commentary was based on just what I had seen, not necessary the discussion that followed, but the most frequent responses were "Why is the View still on?". Apparently being critical is as bad as being racist. 

It's also a personal choice to consider a comment about a person's appearance racist. 

Would it be racist if I said this character looks like Michael Jackson?

[Image: Rise-above-it-...-Helena--007.jpg?w=300&...d31ae47c47]

(05-31-2018, 01:30 PM)Griever Wrote: she gave her opinion based on trumps words and actions

roseanne went after a black lady and basically called her an ape

Yes, but Matt's original query has there been anything said "on par" and IMO there has. Apparently, he, you, and others think not. Because one is racist and the other is just making fun of appearance. I suppose it makes sense to some, not just to me. A physical slur is a physical slur.  

(05-31-2018, 01:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes, but Matt's original query has there been anything said "on par" and IMO there has. Apparently, he, you, and others think not. Because one is racist and the other is just making fun of appearance. I suppose it makes sense to some, not just to me. A physical slur is a physical slur.  

calling trump out on his white supremacist tendencies isnt the same as calling a black person an ape

is it really that difficult for you to understand?
People suck
(05-31-2018, 01:38 PM)Griever Wrote: calling trump out on his white supremacist tendencies isnt the same as calling a black person an ape

But what if the black person actually looks like an ape? Is it okay then?  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-31-2018, 01:38 PM)Griever Wrote: calling trump out on his white supremacist tendencies isnt the same as calling a black person an ape

She didn't "call Trump out on his white supremacists tendencies". She called him a White Supremacist. How's about Sykes calling him an orangutan? And yes, folks continually getting hung up in racial stereotypes is difficult for me to understand. 

We have 0 idea of Rosanne's inner thoughts. maybe she just said it because VJ's appearance reminded her of a character she had seen in a movies**. 

**DISCLAIMER: This is in no way defending Rosanne's comments, bfine admitting to being a racist, or think all black people look like apes. This is simply to draw correlation that someone NOT caught up in race could easily view it a simply a slur on the physical appearance.

(05-31-2018, 01:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  I suppose it makes sense to some, not just to me. A physical slur is a physical slur.  

The difference is insulting an entire race instead of insulting an individual.

One is supporting a racial stereotype while the other is a personal insult against a person who brags about how he can insult other people?

How the hell can Trump demand an apology after he has done nothing but sling personal insults at everyone who has ever disagreed with him?

And how the hell can YOU think he should be entitled to an apology before he apologizes to everyone who he has insulted?

Poor widdle Trump.  Why is everyone picking on him?  It is so MEAN to make personal insults, right?
(05-31-2018, 01:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  And yes, folks continually getting hung up in racial stereotypes is difficult for me to understand. 

Ask the people at Chimpout.com.  Thy will be GLAD to explain it to you.
(05-31-2018, 01:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: She didn't "call Trump out on his white supremacists tendencies". She called him a White Supremacist. How's about Sykes calling him an orangutan? And yes, folks continually getting hung up in racial stereotypes is difficult for me to understand. 

We have 0 idea of Rosanne's inner thoughts. maybe she just said it because VJ's appearance reminded her of a character she had seen in a movies**. 

**DISCLAIMER: This is in no way defending Rosanne's comments, bfine admitting to being a racist, or think all black people look like apes. This is simply to draw correlation that someone NOT caught up in race could easily view it a simply a slur on the physical appearance.

well seeing as roseanne has, in the past, dressed up as hitler and ate burnt cookies that looked like jews, i think we can assume she knew what she was doing when she tweeted that valerie looked like an ape

and calling trump a white supremacist isnt a slur, its calling a spade a spade. If he doesnt want to be called one, maybe he should stop defending them or trying to make them out to be nice people

just like michelle wolf calling sarah sanders a liar...
People suck
(05-31-2018, 01:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The difference is insulting an entire race instead of insulting an individual.

One is supporting a racial stereotype while the other is a personal insult against a person who brags about how he can insult other people?

How the hell can Trump demand an apology after he has done nothing but sling personal insults at everyone who has ever disagreed with him?

And how the hell can YOU think he should be entitled to an apology before he apologizes to everyone who he has insulted?

Poor widdle Trump.  Why is everyone picking on him?  It is so MEAN to make personal insults, right?

well, snowflakes gotta stick together
People suck