Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roseanne canceled by ABC
(05-31-2018, 01:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We've been over this before and it's a word a use in it's correct form often as it is the perfect adjective to describe such thought.

adjective

1. characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.
I have never used it as a noun to slur an individual in my adult life

Your own source for that antiquated definition notes that it is considered offensive. The definition also doesn't even fit in the context you provided unless you're using the slang definition provided by your source.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I just want to make sure that we're all in agreement that it's okay to be fired from your job for something you say outside of it. Are we all agreed?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-31-2018, 02:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not sure if an entire race was insulted by her comments or not. I will ask around.

You want to take that bet I offered?

Maybe it will teach you a lesson about bragging about your willful ignorance.

Ask around.  Educate yourself before running your mouth.
(05-31-2018, 02:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I just want to make sure that we're all in agreement that it's okay to be fired from your job for something you say outside of it. Are we all agreed?

If it effects the business you work for in any way.

For example a person should not get fired from a job just because he says he voted for a certain candidate.
(05-31-2018, 02:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I just want to make sure that we're all in agreement that it's okay to be fired from your job for something you say outside of it. Are we all agreed?

I would say only if it causes financial or public harm to the company, like Roseanne or Kathy Griffin losing their jobs on TV because of the harm they could do to the networks they were on.

I don't think it's ok to fire a teacher who campaigns for a Board candidate and says they think the school system needs to improve. 

(05-31-2018, 02:42 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Your own source for that antiquated definition notes that it is considered offensive. The definition also doesn't even fit in the context you provided unless you're using the slang definition provided by your source.

It actually says usually offensive; however, I use it in a context to explain a flawed reasoning. Usually one that is characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-31-2018, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You want to take that bet I offered?

Maybe it will teach you a lesson about bragging about your willful ignorance.

Ask around.  Educate yourself before running your mouth.

I've already told you I am sure a large population of the African American community is offended by her comments.

I see you are getting a little emotional at this point so I will cease. 

BTW, you didn't answer the Hitler question I posed to you. Very unlike you. 

(05-31-2018, 02:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It actually says usually offensive; however, I use it in a context to explain a flawed reasoning. Usually one that is characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.

The term characterizes one's intellectual capacity... but you're using it to describe the logic of an opinion. The only definition that fits is the slang definition of "stupid and foolish". 

I guess this kind of defines this thread. We're trying to find ways to excuse the use of things considered by the majority of the population to be offensive by suggesting the use of them was in no way offensive.  

Btw...does anybody else think Planet of the Apes is by far the most racist movie ever made?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-31-2018, 03:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The term characterizes one's intellectual capacity... but you're using it to describe the logic of an opinion. The only definition that fits is the slang definition of "stupid and foolish". 

I guess this kind of defines this thread. We're trying to find ways to excuse the use of things considered by the majority of the population to be offensive by suggesting the use of them was in no way offensive.  

I agree it defines this thread and a good use of the word on your part; however, I am not making excuses for my choice of words, simply explaining my use. If you find the manner in which it was used to be offensive then that's your right, but there's a reason the definition states "usually" offensive.

WTS, I will be cognizant of your adversity to the use of the word in the future.  

(05-31-2018, 02:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: BTW, you didn't answer the Hitler question I posed to you. Very unlike you. 

No.  Calling Trump "Hitler" is not a personal insult to all Germans or Jews or whoever you wanted to imply would be offended.  People may not like it but it is not a personal insult.

Lots of people do not like to hear jokes about child rape, but they do not take them as personal insults.
Thought of making a new thread, but this seems like an adequate place. What about Samantha Bee calling Ivanka a "feckless ****”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44324456
(05-31-2018, 04:48 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Thought of making a new thread, but this seems like an adequate place. What about Samantha Bee calling Ivanka a "feckless ****”

Inappropriate, but still not equivalent IMO. She was criticizing Ivanka for her lack of action.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-31-2018, 03:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Btw...does anybody else think Planet of the Apes is by far the most racist movie ever made?
lol no
(05-31-2018, 04:48 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Thought of making a new thread, but this seems like an adequate place. What about Samantha Bee calling Ivanka a "feckless ****”

My first thought is who uses the word feckless. Then I had to look it up cause my brain had a lapse on what it meant (lacking initiative or strength of character; irresponsible). Then I was like Ahhhhh yeah. The second part of what she said begins with a c, and rhymes with hunt .

She did cross a line of vulgarity though since she said on her show, a show I didnt know existed til this. But at the same time, it was a personal attack with no racist adjectives used.

And is she British or is it a British show? Cause I know over there the word "unt is used differently than here, and used a lot more.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-31-2018, 05:15 PM)Millhouse Wrote: My first thought is who uses the word feckless. Then I had to look it up cause my brain had a lapse on what it meant (lacking initiative or strength of character; irresponsible). Then I was like Ahhhhh yeah. The second part of what she said begins with a c, and rhymes with hunt .

She did cross a line of vulgarity though since she said on her show, a show I didnt know existed til this. But at the same time, it was a personal attack with no racist adjectives used.

And is she British or is it a British show? Cause I know over there the word "unt is used differently than here, and used a lot more.

She's expat Canadian with American citizenship, now.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-31-2018, 03:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Btw...does anybody else think Planet of the Apes is by far the most racist movie ever made?

Just saw this, but no. You should see some of the old school shit that's out there.

(05-31-2018, 03:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree it defines this thread and a good use of the word on your part; however, I am not making excuses for my choice of words, simply explaining my use. If you find the manner in which it was used to be offensive then that's your right, but there's a reason the definition states "usually" offensive.

WTS, I will be cognizant of your adversity to the use of the word in the future.  

I'm just letting you know that you did not use the word correctly. Every major dictionary and even your online dictionary defines the word as characterizing someone as possessing a limited intellectual capacity. It can't be applied to an inanimate object or an abstract concept unless you're using the offensive slang definition of "stupid".

There's no longer any reason for the word to be used. One definition is no longer used clinically and one is an insulting slang term. 

Who is Samantha Bee?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(05-31-2018, 05:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Inappropriate, but still not equivalent IMO. She was criticizing Ivanka for her lack of action.

Would there be any slur directed at a white person that you would consider equivalent?

For instance Tom Arnold called him White Trash on CNN. Should CNN apologize to Trump for airing such comments?