Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross didn't seem to be able to get seperation out there to me
(11-12-2017, 10:30 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Perhaps I shouldn't have called him a bust.  I think he was just a really bad pick because after 2016, we really needed a player who would be able to contribute early on.  This won't be the guy.  Marvin won't let him and frankly, I don't blame him.

If there is any solace...Foster and Allen have been hurt a lot with Allen out for the year. And OJ Howard is the Bucs 2nd string TE and he's been more of a blocker.

So...none of the guys we would have taken would have given us much had they got injured like they did on their current teams.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2017, 06:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It doesn't seem like his combine speed translates well to the games yet.

The blurbs we read about him were that he was still out of shape and may run a 4.2 on one play and then couldn't do it for a drive.

I think we're seeing why he hasn't been playing.

HOPEFULLY it's just a matter of getting back in shape...

Can you tell me how you know this? are you basing it on the one throw he pulled up on?   I don't think there's enough evidence for us fans watching on TV to know if he's getting separation or not?
Reply/Quote
I just wish the Bengals would spend some time going for the best player on the board.. they act like they are a few pieces away, when they aren't. In the coming drafts, I'd like to focus on just picking up some immediate upgrades, regardless of position.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 12:10 AM)thillan Wrote: I just wish the Bengals would spend some time going for the best player on the board.. they act like they are a few pieces away, when they aren't. In the coming drafts, I'd like to focus on just picking up some immediate upgrades, regardless of position.

With all the holes we have now we should be able to do that.

Even Defensive line with Atkins and Dunlap approaching free agency has to be viewed as a need.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 12:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With all the holes we have now we should be able to do that.

Even Defensive line with Atkins and Dunlap approaching free agency has to be viewed as a need.

I'd say D line is the least needy. If Billings can get his crap together, Tupou looks like he can play, so does Glasgow. Chris Smith, Lawson, Willis are all excelling. Besides, I don't see them not resigning either one of them..... we have major needs at o line. That's where this whole show breaks down....
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 09:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd say D line is the least needy. If Billings can get his crap together, Tupou looks like he can play, so does Glasgow. Chris Smith, Lawson, Willis are all excelling. Besides, I don't see them not resigning either one of them..... we have major needs at o line. That's where this whole show breaks down....

You'd think we'd retain Atkins and Dunlap...but we can only franchise 1 and the other could escape to a team that has a shot at winning.

Last time we had 2 productive defensive lineman hitting free agency (MJ and Dunlap) they essentially offered them both contracts and saw which one would accept the deal 1st then let the other go.

Plus even if we do keep them both, Atkins will be 30/31 when he signs the contract. His years of being dominant will gradually come to an end.

But, Defensive Line is the least of our needs. I do agree with that.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2017, 07:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've said it many times. There's a reason JR is not getting a lot of PT and despite what folks want to believe; Marvin is not the reason why.

Really?  Marvin is not the reason?

Why is it only the Bengals rookies are consistently too damn dumb to get on the field?  Look at Pittsburgh, last year Artie Burns, this year that Ju Ju dude.  Tomlin doesn't seem to mind the occasional screw up for live game action player development.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2017, 10:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Any Ross bashing right now is unreasonable? We have to let the kid learn at the NFL level. Let him play and learn.

Bashing is not unreasonable with his numbers to date (or lack thereof).  But to your point, let him play and learn.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 10:37 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Bashing is not unreasonable with his numbers to date (or lack thereof).  But to your point, let him play and learn.

It's the same thing we heard for Ced. He was injured so his 2nd season is his rookie year, etc.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2017, 06:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It doesn't seem like his combine speed translates well to the games yet.

The blurbs we read about him were that he was still out of shape and may run a 4.2 on one play and then couldn't do it for a drive.

I think we're seeing why he hasn't been playing.

HOPEFULLY it's just a matter of getting back in shape...

He did recently say he was still trying to get his legs under him
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 10:28 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Really?  Marvin is not the reason?

Why is it only the Bengals rookies are consistently too damn dumb to get on the field?  Look at Pittsburgh, last year Artie Burns, this year that Ju Ju dude.  Tomlin doesn't seem to mind the occasional screw up for live game action player development.

You could look at it like that and be wrong or understand the bengals have depth and don't need to play rookies recovering from injuries right away.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 11:05 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: You could look at it like that and be wrong or understand the bengals have depth and don't need to play rookies recovering from injuries right away.

We're 3-6.....we need to be exploring all options at this point.  Also, the depth really isn't worth a shit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 11:14 AM)Wyche Wrote: We're 3-6.....we need to be exploring all options at this point.  Also, the depth really isn't worth a shit.

Yeah...at 3-6 with the last ranked offense in the NFL there is no luxury to redshirt a guy for a season.
Reply/Quote
Do not think it is Marvin keeping him off the field though. He played AJ, Sanu, Marvin Jones, and Boyd all in their first season.

Believe they want him on the field to prove they did not waste a pick as well. Because we certainly had bigger needs than WR.

Hopefully it is just that he is not up to full speed and he is not a bust.

But there is no reason not to play him now that we are 3-6. He could be our savior and turn it around or get valuable minutes to help him next year.

We should know the answer by years end if it was a bust or not.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 12:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Do not think it is Marvin keeping him off the field though. He played AJ, Sanu, Marvin Jones, and Boyd all in their first season.

Believe they want him on the field to prove they did not waste a pick as well. Because we certainly had bigger needs than WR.

Hopefully it is just that he is not up to full speed and he is not a bust.

But there is no reason not to play him now that we are 3-6. He could be our savior and turn it around or get valuable minutes to help him next year.  

We should know the answer by years end if it was a bust or not.

Plus Malone and Core. They will play rookie WR's.

Erickson plays ahead of Ross. It's not like Erickson has a ton of experience.
Reply/Quote
Marvin has repeatedly said that Ross needs more practice. I think that means he's not only making mistakes in the game (when he's there), but also in practice too. I believe that's Marvin's way of saying he doesn't understand what he's doing out there yet.

Until he proves it in practice, he won't play much. Or at least while Lewis is still here.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 12:10 AM)thillan Wrote: I just wish the Bengals would spend some time going for the best player on the board.. they act like they are a few pieces away, when they aren't. In the coming drafts, I'd like to focus on just picking up some immediate upgrades, regardless of position.

I think the Bengals did do that and have in most of the recent years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 12:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Plus Malone and Core. They will play rookie WR's.

Erickson plays ahead of Ross. It's not like Erickson has a ton of experience.

He has 1.5 years of experience over Ross. On a team that IMO puts TOO much emphasis on practice time and experience, Erickson is miles ahead of Ross.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 01:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the Bengals did do that and have in most of the recent years.

Are you talking about this year? Because John Ross was not the most talented guy on the board, he was just so hyped due to the fastest 40. I wanted Watson, but I thought Malik Hooker was the best talent on the board (he would have really fit in well this year). The draft is all usually opinion though, outside of the top spots.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 01:09 PM)thillan Wrote: Are you talking about this year? Because John Ross was not the most talented guy on the board, he was just so hyped due to the fastest 40. I wanted Watson, but I thought Malik Hooker was the best talent on the board (he would have really fit in well this year). The draft is all usually opinion though, outside of the top spots.

While some fans may think that, you said the best player on THEIR board. We don't know where John Ross was on their board. He very well might have been top on their board.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote