Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross tries to cool expectations
I would add that a part of what makes him so special is his get off the line and his ability to go from zero to full speed in the blink of an eye.

I am nervous of an injury, as I am with every player in the preseason, but I can't wait to see him out there.

From Bengals.com: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Different-times-for-Ross/33cde495-9808-4a16-8de7-2c74dac75a98
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's sure a comforting article.  Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He'll get there. Once he gets comfortable, he'll be up to speed. I'm really hoping Core sticks. I think Green, Core, and Ross on the field together would be incredible.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 10:01 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: He'll get there. Once he gets comfortable, he'll be up to speed. I'm really hoping Core sticks. I think Green, Core, and Ross on the field together would be incredible.

He and Core will be a part of this team for a long time.  Pair them with AJ Green, Eifert, and the RB tandem of Gio and Mixon and you have the makings of a top 5 offense.  

Sure, everyone is going to throw the caveat of the offensive line in there, but I think with those weapons on the field, and the safeties back it will open up the rushing attack which is a huge benefit to the overall production of the offense.  I am not as pessimistic as many when it comes to the offensive line, or the offense in general.  I think they are going to roll and with the new pieces on defense, they will only get more opportunities.  
Reply/Quote
Quote:“4.22 looks good on TV. On paper. I’m not ever going to run 4.22 in a game. It’s totally different,” Ross said. “That’s way beyond football. That’s straight line speed. It’s very, very, very rare for someone to run a 40 in a football game. Especially at my position.”

I wasn't a big fan of the pick when we made it, but this makes me feel a bit more comfortable. A lot of guys would've said 'I'm not worried, I'm the fastest man alive, I'm going to be great.' Instead, Ross chose to make a realistic statement.
Reply/Quote
I like the fact he is being realistic. Shows his maturity. Can't wait tho till he puts it altogether!
Reply/Quote
LT, RDE and Ross are probably the 3 biggest things I'm going to be watching Sunday. Hoping to see do well that is.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure some CB who lines up across from him will still have that 4.22 in his head.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 02:32 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I'm sure some CB who lines up across from him will still have that 4.22 in his head.

I'm very interested in seeing how teams play him.  Will they try to get physical at the line?  If you do that and he beats you early, then what?  Or do they play off him, which opens up quick throws, makes the defense have to tackle him?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 11:42 AM)Benton Wrote: I wasn't a big fan of the pick when we made it, but this makes me feel a bit more comfortable. A lot of guys would've said 'I'm not worried, I'm the fastest man alive, I'm going to be great.' Instead, Ross chose to make a realistic statement.

Except he was drafted to be the fastest WR on the team, so hearing that he's not, is not a good thing. Would you have felt better if the Bengals drafted a QB in the first round and he said "Yeah, I am not going to be as good as you thought. Heck, I am not even the best on the team"?

Ross is too small to not be the fastest on the field. Core has like 20lbs on him.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 02:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except he was drafted to be the fastest WR on the team, so hearing that he's not, is not a good thing. Would you have felt better if the Bengals drafted a QB in the first round and he said "Yeah, I am not going to be as good as you thought. Heck, I am not even the best on the team"?

Ross is too small to not be the fastest on the field. Core has like 20lbs on him.

Really, LL?

How about you lay off just a bit, on the nitpicking?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
If John Ross turns into Golden Tate 2.0, I'd be very happy. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 02:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except he was drafted to be the fastest WR on the team, so hearing that he's not, is not a good thing. Would you have felt better if the Bengals drafted a QB in the first round and he said "Yeah, I am not going to be as good as you thought. Heck, I am not even the best on the team"?

I haven't read the article. Did Ross say "Yeah, I am not going to be as good as you thought."?

If so this is disturbing; if not it's a silly analogy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

So what one injury away and/or a year on the bench from the bust label? Am I right?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 03:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I haven't read the article. Did Ross say "Yeah, I am not going to be as good as you thought."?

No, he didn't say that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 09:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would add that a part of what makes him so special is his get off the line and his ability to go from zero to full speed in the blink of an eye.

I am nervous of an injury, as I am with every player in the preseason, but I can't wait to see him out there.  

From Bengals.com: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Different-times-for-Ross/33cde495-9808-4a16-8de7-2c74dac75a98

John Ross is just so smart and classy.

He knows even for him it takes time to get up to the speed of the NFL.

Liked what he said about Core saying "he can flat out fly". Another dude i am really high on.

But Ross is on another level when he is healthy, his presence alone will affect how Defenses play us.

Also loved hearing about how they aren't treating him like a rookie and he is lining up all over.

Everyone and especially Dalton should be very excited about this guy. He is not just speed and this article shows it.

Dude knows his shit.
Reply/Quote

I usually agree with you TLL but you just are completely taking what he said out of context. Mellow
Reply/Quote
I hated the Ross pick and still do. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Ross being humble and aware of what he needs to do in order to be a great player is NOT the same as him saying he's not that good.

The biggest problem with fast WR's is that they think their speed automatically makes them good. At least Ross seems to barely care about his timed speed. He knows he has to PLAY fast. I loved the article.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 02:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Really, LL?

How about you lay off just a bit, on the nitpicking?

(08-25-2017, 05:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I usually agree with you TLL but you just are completely taking what he said out of context. Mellow

I'm just saying, if you draft a kicker who is supposed to be the most accurate kicker in the NFL, and he says he'll never be that accurate on the field, that's NOT a good thing. If you draft an OL who is supposed to be able to out-muscle any DL on the field and he says he'll never be that strong on the field, that's not a good thing.

I'm not saying Ross is going to be a bust or anything, but it's certainly not a good sign if he's already hedging expectations when he hasn't even played a snap of football yet.

(08-25-2017, 03:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I haven't read the article. Did Ross say "Yeah, I am not going to be as good as you thought."?

Nah, he didn't say that specifically. Just a collection of not-great but not-terrible things.

“There are guys who haven’t run a 4.22, but they can keep up with me,”
“4.22 looks good on TV. On paper. I’m not ever going to run 4.22 in a game."
"I have the physical traits to run by someone, but it’s not’s that easy anymore."
“You can tell (the speed of the game) is much faster. Just watching the games and even at practice. Much faster,”

- - - - - - - - - - - -

My dislike of the pick might be influencing my opinion on it (I don't like taking 180lb WRs with two iffy knees and a hurt shoulder in the 1st round) but I just didn't like the quotes. You can be humble and still be confident/not cast doubts.

Reply/Quote