Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster is in!
(09-03-2016, 08:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know many hate the idea, but a top 10 DE in the NFL is available named Greg Hardy. I think our locker room and coaches could control him giving us 3 great DE's to rotate

I keep forgetting about him. 
The last two DL we drafted are out for the year Billings and Hardison. Hunt has never produced like you need a 2nd round pick DL to produce.  When that stuff happens use free agency and give the team the talent boost.

I would love to sign Greg Hardy and Terrance Knighton. Rotating those two in with the likes of Dunlap , Atkins , MJ , Peko , Sims. Waves of fresh 330-350lbs maulers, shutting down the run and lettings our LBs roam free. Geno , Dunlap , MJ , Hardy all have 10+ sack potential.

Our DL would be best in the league. And that won a superbowl last year.
Reply/Quote
My take on:

1. The thread- Hardison being hurt has drawn a lot of attention for a thread devoted to the "final" 53. I think this means two things. First, the board in general has a pretty good read on how the roster would shakedown. In general predictions were very close as there weren't any big surprise cuts. Second, it really points toward how the team has been handling injuries lately. I don't know if it is by design but they're really keeping us in the dark more these days. Like Saban said today after the Bama game, the object is to make the other team think not inform the media, but it seems even Belichick has been more transparent than the Bengals lately when it comes to injuries in general.

2. The roster and next step- The main core is healthy, but some of the perceived weaknesses are due to injuries to backups and/or young players that haven't proven themselves enough to gain our trust. DL is a prime example as both young DT's being hurt made the decisions easy but the young DL looks very meh in terms of even preseason flash.

If they IR both Peerman and Jackson then then two spots are up for grabs. It sounds like the staff likes what they have with Williams, Sims is a vet to sub behind Peko. With all the injuries, maybe they look for a true DE and more specific one that could slide to DT at times like they hoped Hardison would. Hunt made the roster by default, so they should really look toward a vet and hope to catch lightning in a bottle rather than carry a developmental type as a 9th DL. A guy like Quinton Coples makes sense. He couldn't hang on a VERY deep Rams line, but I think they sign him for cheap if nothing else to make sure Hunt and Clarke don't get lazy...though I like Clarke more than some here.

Of coarse I'd like a Justin Hunter or Josh Sitton type, or one of those vet safeties but a corner makes the most sense with the other spot. I think they'll put a waiver claim in for Zach Sanchez as plan A. He doesn't have a good frame, but showed descent instincts in college and could be the type of player Ghee was supposed to be if not for injuries. He's super cheap you control him long term. That's why I think someone else grabs him for the same reasons. Plan B would be them bringing in Dee Milliner for a visit with another corner as well. Milliner is realistic as they're fond of corners that can jam and use their body and trust coach Kevin Coyle with getting the most out of Milliner's game after such a hard fall thus far. Lewis-Harris has gone farther in his career than I thought, but you still need depth with Dennard being questionable.

Predictions: Bengals sign DE Coples and CB Milliner after waiver claim to CB Sanchez is bested.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 03:11 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I keep forgetting about him. 
The last two DL we drafted are out for the year Billings and Hardison. Hunt has never produced like you need a 2nd round pick DL to produce.  When that stuff happens use free agency and give the team the talent boost.

I would love to sign Greg Hardy and Terrance Knighton. Rotating those two in with the likes of Dunlap , Atkins , MJ , Peko , Sims. Waves of fresh 330-350lbs maulers, shutting down the run and lettings our LBs roam free. Geno , Dunlap , MJ , Hardy all have 10+ sack potential.

Our DL would be best in the league. And that won a superbowl last year.

Madden wise I'd love Hardy's talent, but it just doesn't fit Cincy.  Hardy is such a distraction, it's not only the severity of what he did but the immaturity he shows in handling himself.  Even if a team could somehow find themselves desperate enough to look past what he did, I'm not sure how you trust him to make the right comment when a reporter shoves a mic in his fact and grills him or even trust him to log into twitter.  You'd have to be a really desperate GM that has been given a lot of power. 
Reply/Quote
The problem with guys like Coples and Werner who have been with multiple teams and couldn't catch on is exactly that.

Miliner being jettisoned so early is also concerning. Coples and Miliner are both first round picks for the jets--and Jace Amaro a second rounder...ouch. and people are mad we have 1 second rounder that didn't turn out (Hunt).
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 08:36 AM)TGISunday Wrote: The problem with guys like Coples and Werner who have been with multiple teams and couldn't catch on is exactly that.  

Miliner being jettisoned so early is also concerning.  Coples and Miliner are both first round picks for the jets--and Jace Amaro a second rounder...ouch.  and people are mad we have 1 second rounder that didn't turn out  (Hunt).

It's not the drafting of Hunt that upsets fans, but it's that the team just keeps hanging on to him. Still was another poor draft pick, but the team has cut loose of that problem and no one seems to remember it.

We have the same starting DL that we had 5 years ago and none of the draft picks have even come close to competing for a starting job. Now I do expect that to change next year with Billings knocking Peko out of the line up,  but who really knows how's his recovery will go.

We could be drafting 4 DLmen next year.

Miliner has been injured A LOT and I'm not sure that's the kind of problem we'd want to take on. It doesn't fit the mold of the guys we take on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
It is absolutely thrilling that some of these young guys were able to make the roster. Good for them (and us).
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 11:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not sure where you get that from.

Sims is pretty quick for a guy that size, but more importantly he is a quality run stuffer.

Thompson has a VERY quick first step.  His problem is he has never developed moves to go with that get off.

Look at it this way, then, instead of focusing on my description....do either Sims or Thompson generate pressure from the 5 technique spot?  No.  And I was really liking what I was seeing from Hardison and had high hopes from Billings in this spot as well. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 08:58 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think that's DeShawn Williams job now.

I guess so...
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 03:33 AM)phil413 Wrote: My take on:

1. The thread- Hardison being hurt has drawn a lot of attention for a thread devoted to the "final" 53.  I think this means two things.  First, the board in general has a pretty good read on how the roster would shakedown.  In general predictions were very close as there weren't any big surprise cuts.  Second, it really points toward how the team has been handling injuries lately.  I don't know if it is by design but they're really keeping us in the dark more these days.  Like Saban said today after the Bama game, the object is to make the other team think not inform the media, but it seems even Belichick has been more transparent than the Bengals lately when it comes to injuries in general.  

To this point:

There is ZERO requirement for a team to discuss injuries in the preseason, thus the fact that they are not divulging more than necessary.  If it came out last week that Hardison had an injury that could lead to IR, that is one less player that someone in the Jets organization is trying to scan assemble some film on in the short preparation time to game 1.  Hopefully someone saw this move yesterday and started cursing about wasting a day cutting snippets out of preseason footage for nothing.

Secondly, expect the limited information to become the norm.  With the change to the injury reporting percentages this season, there will be MUCH more gamesmanship in what is revealed in an effort to leave the opponent guessing who will be available for the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 10:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Look at it this way, then, instead of focusing on my description....do either Sims or Thompson generate pressure from the 5 technique spot?  No.  And I was really liking what I was seeing from Hardison and had high hopes from Billings in this spot as well. 

You are correct that they do not, as they don't line up outside a tackles shoulder.  They are tackles, not ends.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 10:34 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: You are correct that they do not, as they don't line up outside a tackles shoulder.  They are tackles, not ends.

Not sure what you are arguing here, but my point is they aren't going to offer significant pressure from the spot occupied by Peko on running downs.  A true "NASCAR" package has a front four that can penetrate and any of the four can get the sack.  This spot is now the weakness of the package. 

It is amazing how quickly it became that as well losing Billings and Hardison before the season even started. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 10:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Look at it this way, then, instead of focusing on my description....do either Sims or Thompson generate pressure from the 5 technique spot?  No.  And I was really liking what I was seeing from Hardison and had high hopes from Billings in this spot as well. 

(09-04-2016, 10:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not sure what you are arguing here, but my point is they aren't going to offer significant pressure from the spot occupied by Peko on running downs.  A true "NASCAR" package has a front four that can penetrate and any of the four can get the sack.  This spot is now the weakness of the package. 

It is amazing how quickly it became that as well losing Billings and Hardison before the season even started. 

The 5 tech is lining up on the OT's outside shoulder, i.e. defensive end.  So you are correct, that our DTs don't generate any pressure from that position.  They don't line up there, so they won't generate pressure from there.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 10:54 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: The 5 tech is lining up on the OT's outside shoulder, i.e. defensive end.  So you are correct, that our DTs don't generate any pressure from that position.  They don't line up there, so they won't generate pressure from there.

OK, sorry, 3 TECHNIQUE!!!  The bottom line is the PEKO SPOT HAS NO PRESSURE!!! Do you get the point now?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: OK, sorry, 3 TECHNIQUE!!!  The bottom line is the PEKO SPOT HAS NO PRESSURE!!! Do you get the point now?

Not sure that the NT in a 4-3, Peko's role, is really designed to generate sacks.  To my understanding, his role is to eat up blockers and generate openings for other defenders to get sacks/pressures.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: OK, sorry, 3 TECHNIQUE!!!  The bottom line is the PEKO SPOT HAS NO PRESSURE!!! Do you get the point now?

Well Peko is not the 3-t, sooo....

But I digress, in pass rushing situations, we generally only use one DT, Geno, and fill the other spot with an end.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 08:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know many hate the idea, but a top 10 DE in the NFL is available named Greg Hardy. I think our locker room and coaches could control him giving us 3 great DE's to rotate

Well if you are counting all the NFL teams in hating the idea (since this supposed stud is still available) six sack in 2015 and only played a couple games in 2014 plus all the issues.... there is a reason he is still unemployed and lets face it , the Cowboys are the leader now in the league of trying to take troubled players and rebrand them and they cut the guy.. 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:31 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Well Peko is not the 3-t, sooo....

But I digress, in pass rushing situations, we generally only use one DT, Geno, and fill the other spot with an end.

I give up...point missed
Reply/Quote
Man, looking back at the offseason moves, I really wish they would have elected to release Margus Hunt and sign Wallace Gilberry.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Man, looking back at the offseason moves, I really wish they would have elected to release Margus Hunt and sign Wallace Gilberry.

Right there with ya pal...  right there with ya.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 03:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I give up...point missed

Peko had 5 sacks last year.

That is a verty good number for a NT.

You have no point to miss.
Reply/Quote