Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back
(01-26-2018, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF?

How many times have I heard you guys swooning over how good the O-line looked at the end of the season?

Wasn't Bodine starting in the middle of that line?

I did not have the Sunday Ticket this year so I was not able to watch every game like before.  So I don't know how bad Bodine really looked.  But I do know that many times the guys that most people here claim suck actually do not play that badly (Peko, Dre Kirk, MJ).

He looked really bad his rookie year, but any 4th rounder thrown into a starting position from day 1 is going to struggle.  He did not really improve that much his second and third seasons but he was getting some better.

I do know the Bengals let Ghiciuc walk after his contract was up and they cut Kyle Cook while he was still under contract.  So based on recent history the Bengals do not keep OCs that are not playing well.

Bodine continues to struggle against large NTs versus the odd fronts, seems like he gets driven back pretty consistently.  Even against even fronts, he still gets blown past by delayed blitzers, as he opts to double down with one of the Guards, and slow to notice the blitzer coming.  

Someone posted the season PFF grades for the entire roster (CrazyJdawg maybe?), I can't remember Bodine's specific score, but it was under 50. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bodine continues to struggle against large NTs versus the odd fronts, seems like he gets driven back pretty consistently.  Even against even fronts, he still gets blown past by delayed blitzers, as he opts to double down with one of the Guards, and slow to notice the blitzer coming.  

Someone posted the season PFF grades for the entire roster (CrazyJdawg maybe?), I can't remember Bodine's specific score, but it was under 50. 

most interested in his score the last 2 games of the season if someone can pull those... When we changed out of PAs scheme..
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:24 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Man I wonder if there are any other centers the Bengals could get.?

Maybe a guy in third Rd like I saw in this one mock.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Jakes-take-Mock-Draft-Buffalo-Trade?pid=509304#pid509304

They had the opportunity this past draft.  Elfine was sitting right there, obviously they are content with Tommy Turnstile (Bodine).

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
FML. That means drafting a center like Price or Ragnow is out of question. Seriously, one of the lowest ranking centers in NFL.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I mean idk how this actually surprises anyone. They preached change but let's be honest...nothing is going to change.
They will spend big money re-upping the contracts of Atkins and Dunlap and then send a four year deal Bodine's way. Then when confronted about free agency, they will point to the fact they signed a "young, reliable center in his prime that knows the system."

That will the extent of our free agency.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Someone posted the season PFF grades for the entire roster (CrazyJdawg maybe?), I can't remember Bodine's specific score, but it was under 50. 

PFF keeps track of some interesting stats, but their individual player rankings are a complete joke.

In 2015 Dre Kirkpatrick played 95% of the snaps on a top 5 passing defense and ranked in the top 30 in almost every objective individual stat (yards per attempt allowed, completion percentage allowed, success rate) and PFF had him ranked as the 112th CB behind a bunch of scrubs who barely saw the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not that simple...  If the only center with a 1st round grade is gone by 12 we aren't drafting a Center with a 2nd or 3rd round grade with the 12 pick...

You guys would be much more pissed off at that

I get that, but you said “can’t”. They could technically get any center they want at 12. Would it be considered a reach? Sure. But that’s their choice to make.

And I would be more pissed with the Bengals re-signing Bodine than “reaching” for a C in the first 2-3 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This reeks of cheapness and MB still being in control.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 07:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This reeks of cheapness and MB still being in control.

Like I said, with no other replacement on the team right now, why would he bad-mouth Bodine when he might be our only option?

I'm at least waiting until after free agency and the draft to start bitching.

I do hope (pray) that they don't think that Pollack will magically cure all the problems and not even considering bringing in positional upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 07:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like I said, with no other replacement on the team right now, why would he bad-mouth Bodine when he might be our only option?

I'm at least waiting until after free agency and the draft to start bitching.

I do hope (pray) that they don't think that Pollack will magically cure all the problems and not even considering bringing in positional upgrades.

TJ Johnson is still on the roster, so there is technically a replacement.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 07:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This reeks of cheapness and MB still being in control.

Yup

Many things already lining up to be just more of the same old same ole.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 08:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

Many things already lining up to be just more of the same old same ole.

Once the heat dies down, the truth comes trickling out, one nad shot a a time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Bodine has started 4 years for us, and that should be to his credit (Mike Brown logic...and apparently Marv logic as well).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 08:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bodine has started 4 years for us, and that should be to his credit (Mike Brown logic...and apparently Marv logic as well).

Mike believes in participation trophies.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Sick  Sick  Sick  Hilarious  Hilarious  LMAO  Cry

Oh well, not surprised. Luckily I’ve finally learned my lesson and didn’t buy into all that change talk bs Marv spewed in one press conference.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 05:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Getting to the point again, where players won’t want to play for the Bengals. If guys like Eifert and Bodine even get a sniff from another team, they’re gone. Players want a shot at the Super Bowl and just like the 90’s, they will soon realize, it won’t happen in Cincy as long as Marv and Mikey are running the show.

Pretty much.  During the years we made our big playoff push from 2011-2015 to now a number of teams posted 2-7 win seasons and yet they've come closer to the SB than we have.  Hell, the Jaguars were 3-13 last year and the Rams were godawful just recently and they've come closer than us.  Other teams try to turn it around, we just kinda exist.
Reply/Quote
Of course because this team sucks
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Me when debating whether to post a thread on this news knowing how most would react...
[Image: tenor.gif]

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They had the opportunity this past draft.  Elfine was sitting right there, obviously they are content with Tommy Turnstile (Bodine).

Elfine.  Is that bfine's brother from the southern border?
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF?

How many times have I heard you guys swooning over how good the O-line looked at the end of the season?

Wasn't Bodine starting in the middle of that line?

I did not have the Sunday Ticket this year so I was not able to watch every game like before. So I don't know how bad Bodine really looked. But I do know that many times the guys that most people here claim suck actually do not play that badly (Peko, Dre Kirk, MJ).

He looked really bad his rookie year, but any 4th rounder thrown into a starting position from day 1 is going to struggle. He did not really improve that much his second and third seasons but he was getting some better.

I do know the Bengals let Ghiciuc walk after his contract was up and they cut Kyle Cook while he was still under contract. So based on recent history the Bengals do not keep OCs that are not playing well.

WTF?

In another thread you used number of starts to measure quality of offensive linemen. Now you're claiming the Bengals get rid of starters when they don't play well. Which would imply number of starts don't mean shit. Also, you claimed Alexander got the most out of players like Ghiaciuc as evidenced by his number of starts, but they got rid of him because he didn't play well?

Recent history would suggest the Bengals tolerate centers that don't play well. Just read those names you listed again.
Reply/Quote