Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back
(01-28-2018, 12:42 AM)Benton Wrote: Most likely, based off our past drafts and playing, Bodine will compete with a camp body and a low draft pick, with the idea that we're drafting the pick to replace Bodine. Sooo... there won't be much competition, and we'll most likely have Bodine starting for another season or two while they groom his replacement.

Look on the bright side we're probably only 3-4 years away from upgrading our worst position.  ThumbsUp

Yup just in time for Our other line to go to shit with Geno and Dunlap gone.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 03:08 PM)BengalChris Wrote: After selecting Ross with the #9 pick last year and now they want to spend another pick in the first two rounds on a receiver. I believe Mike Brown is going to send AJ Green packing when his contract is up at the end of next year.

Well they did bail on Chad at 33 years old, and AJ Green will be 30 in July...so it's something to keep an eye on.

I doubt he's going to be Jerry Rice, and WR's fall hard and quickly when they do fall.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to get slammed for this but...I think Green is too soft, too weak, never much after the catch. Seems every play is to the sideline and out or Down as soon as he makes the catch. But he does make the catch, and most of those plays could be the result of poor route planning on the coaches.

With that said I would still be furious with another WR in the first, hell 2nd and even 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 07:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: PFF keeps track of some interesting stats, but their individual player rankings are a complete joke.

In 2015 Dre Kirkpatrick played 95% of the snaps on a top 5 passing defense and ranked in the top 30 in almost every objective individual stat (yards per attempt allowed, completion percentage allowed, success rate) and PFF had him ranked as the 112th CB behind a bunch of scrubs who barely saw the field.

By any metric, Bodine is a bum. Period. He’s been a bottom 5 starting center for his entire time in the NFL. By any quantifiable measure, Center is a glaring hole that has to be upgraded. Team YPC is terrible. Pressure up the middle terrible. You don’t reward terrible with a second contract. You draft a replacement and/or sign a free agent to compete with TJ Johnson. Four years is proof enough that Bodine is not a quality NFL starter at a position that currently is as important as the tackle position.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 11:57 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: When will this nightmare end.  If we re sign Bodine,  bring back mauluga and say they will stick Ogbuehi at LT I'll quit watching the Bengals and instead work the street corner as a hooker on Sundays

Don't take it too personally ,but....
[Image: pnYDrzGLj]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 12:47 PM)Synric Wrote: They say they are trying to resign Bodine and only interviewing receivers that will go on the first 2 days of the draft at the Senior Bowl.

I gots to say it does look a wee bit strange.

That receiver comment is a pretty damning one on so many levels.  They must not have much confidence in Ross' health, smarts or work ethic.  What about the medical staff who signed off on this?

What about Boyd and his development?  Did we really waste a 1 and a 2 on these guys?

What about core and Malone?  Core should be ready to step in.  Are these coaching issues?  Scouting issues?

Maybe this is all a pre draft smokescreen or their just doing their due diligence in case someone falls to them
Reply/Quote
Marvin definitely has a very high opinion of Bodine and it seems like he really wants him back at center for the foreseeable future, but it also appears that he's finally admitting that Ced has been a disappointment:

“Ced’s had two seasons, basically, and it’s just not been exactly where we need it to be,” Lewis said. “That’s held us back.”

Jim O and Paul Dehner said they don't expect his 5th option to be picked up.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 01:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Marvin definitely sounds like he wants Bodine back at center for the foreseeable future, but it does appear he's finally admitting that Ced has been a disappointment:

“Ced’s had two seasons, basically, and it’s just not been exactly where we need it to be,” Lewis said. “That’s held us back.”

This is a which do you want first, the good news or the bad news post. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 01:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Marvin definitely has a very high opinion of Bodine and it seems like he really wants him back at center for the foreseeable future, but it also appears that he's finally admitting that Ced has been a disappointment:

[Image: latest?cb=20120501140208]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 12:47 PM)Synric Wrote: They say they are trying to resign Bodine and only interviewing receivers that will go on the first 2 days of the draft at the Senior Bowl.

To be fair, with a few exceptions, most Senior Bowl participants are not Round 1 or 2 caliber. I have no issue with Bengals looking for a Day two or three WR option. Heck, I would be OK with D.J. Chark on Day two.
Reply/Quote

Not sure that's true - in this report they've also looked at DaeSean Hamilton, a day 3 prospect:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/25/16934104/bengals-will-hernandez-daesean-hamilton-works-dan-pitcher
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 12:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly how I see it.

I'm trying very hard to keep the faith and hold out hope that things are gonna change. But deep down in I know it most likely won't.

I fully expect us to bargain bin FA, retain all the dead weight, stick with the bulk of the putrid O-line, and on and on ! 

Mike Brown isn't going to change - period.

There was a period when I actually thought mike brown was trying to win and doing the right things instead of just putting a mediocre product out to sell tickets.

It was when they extended Palmer contract early.. It was a total non-mike brown move and I was actually pretty impressed.... things were moving in the right direction at the time and who knows, maybe mike brown was just a late bloomer and he is creating a dynasty now......

Yeah I know I was bat shit crazy for thinking that lol...

As the saying goes... fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me... 

I will never have faith in mike brown, Katie, or anyone associated with this franchise. Sure, there are worse franchises out there- not many, but as long as the bengals are owned by the brown family they will only make the super bowl from a fluke season or sheer luck. They will always have gaps in their depth  chart form the brown family pocketing an extra 10- 15 million and never have a complete team that is super bowl worthy.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 01:59 PM)dnkw Wrote: Not sure that's true - in this report they've also looked at DaeSean Hamilton, a day 3 prospect:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/25/16934104/bengals-will-hernandez-daesean-hamilton-works-dan-pitcher

Hamiton with strong weeks at the East West Shrine and Senior Bowl more than likely moved himself up to a day 2 prospect.

Kinda like Zay Jones did last year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Now this kind of news is the way to completely discourage a fanbase. It shows Marvin and Mike up as being football illiterate (for rating the worst center in football both of the last two seasons highly) and shows Mikey's moronic philosophy of undervaluing the interior line is still in effect.

So get set for another season of inability to run inside and watching our center constantly driven back into the QB.
Reply/Quote
Throw up a little every time I read the thread title.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Once again this change stuff was all bullshit. The lower level coaches faces have changed but guess what? The organizations philosophy has stayed exactly the same. I keep hearing how a new line coach could help Bodine and these other guys that are getting out muscled and pushed around. How exactly do you coach strength? This isn’t a bench press contest either, it doesn’t mean jack what Bodine can bench press. Maybe he doesn’t have enough lower body strength or has slow reflexes. I’m not buying that it’s all about technique. The main point is that my Brown is staying the same stubborn ass course.
Reply/Quote
Marvin once again going out of his way to flip the whole fan base the bird, a thing he dearly loves to do. We know he suxx. He knows it too. That's why he says all this goofy shit, just to rub it in. Has a guy ever been in a job so long and been so unqualified for it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In yet another unsurprising move, it's being reported that Marvin Lewis and the Bengals want to re-sign Russell Bodine.
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news?ls=roto:nfl:gnav

FML. Continuity will be the death of this organization.

This is really the last straw for me.  This is the thing that finally removes any shred of hope.  It's kinda liberating, really.   I never really believed they wanted to win but I held onto hope that they might somehow stumble into a title.  Now I realize once and for all that they are intent on going out of their way to make damn sure they never win shit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm not upset because I'm not surprised.
Reply/Quote
I just hope this isnt true. Bengals had one of if not the worst o-lines this last season, and they want to bring back the worst center in the league, which is the second most important position on the line?

Obviously will have to see how free agency and the draft shakes out, but if Bodine is the center next season, Bengals can go right the fudge off.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote