Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Round 4 is Cordell Volson-O Line Blocker
(04-30-2022, 02:53 PM)pally Wrote:  

In the Zac mode Cordell is a 2 time team captain and has won national championships (FBS) with NDSU.

NDSU is FCS, not FBS.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Kevin I thought you weren’t watching the draft all weekend? Wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's not as athletic as I think he'd need to be to start on the left side.
Just a "meh" 40 (including the splits), very bad shuttle and 3-cone. Vert also bad, mediocre broad.

Personally, I think it's safer to re-sign Spain now to compete for starting reps with Carman.
Spain can knock off Adeniji from the roster.

Volson can compete with Prince for the 4th OT spot.

Pretty sure Volson will compete at Guard immediately.

Reply/Quote

Sounds like most see him at RG. Doesn’t bode well for moving him to the left side to compete with Carman.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I take away from all the OL acquisitions so far this offseason - This team is planning to run the ball more.
Collins, Cappa, and Karras are more maulers than what the Bengals had last year.

I think it has less to do with how much they plan to run next year and is more about addressing the issue on short yardage runs.

The NFL is a passing league now.  For a running game to be "successful" it doesn't have to put up big total yard numbers, but it has to be able to convert those short yardage situations.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Sounds like most see him at RG. Doesn’t bode well for moving him to the left side to compete with Carman.

Like I said, he is definitely playing at Guard, if he is going to be the backup he needs to learn both, if he is going to learn both they might as well let him compete for the starting LG spot. 

I definitely do not disagree that he is a lifer on the right side.  Maybe he adapts better than Carmen in switching sides? Competition wont hurt Carmen.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I take away from all the OL acquisitions so far this offseason - This team is planning to run the ball more.
Collins, Cappa, and Karras are more maulers than what the Bengals had last year.
Add Volson to that mix.

I also am starting to think they won't do as much wide zone in the run game this year, as all the OL added this offseason aren't quite as athletic to fit that scheme as well.

We'll see.

I'm starting to think that saying "we are running a wide zone run blocking style" is what teams that want to be power running teams say when they don't have OL with enough ass to move the big men in front of them.  I've said it before, and I'll reiterate now;  When you need a yard, you need to be able to move that large man in front of you off of the ball.  Volson seems to be one of those types that takes pride in moving that large man off of the ball.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Add Volson to that mix.

I also am starting to think they won't do as much wide zone in the run game this year, as all the OL added this offseason aren't quite as athletic to fit that scheme as well.

We'll see.

I think you are right. I’ve been hammering on here that Mixon is going to have an enormous year if he stays healthy. Teams ( including us) are playing more rush 3 drop 8 and 3 safety looks. The staff knows that to be successful they need to eliminate the expected constant double coverage of Chase. I actually think Boyd and Mixon will have big years next year.

Part of getting ready for the next season is self scouting and anticipation how teams adjust to you. Cincy snuck up on folks this past year to a degree. I think you are dead right on running the football. I see less dependence on TE (run game)and RB (pass game) having to stay and block all the time. If we can run the ball on first down this offense changes dramatically. We were forced to be predictable. Geez we were awful. It resulted in way too many third and 8’s. Also if we can run the ball out of 10 personnel ( Hawk in the slot) and often shift to 10 personnel with Mixon we are going to be brutal to defend. They aren’t double covering Chase then. Just some thoughts.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's not as athletic as I think he'd need to be to start on the left side.
Just a "meh" 40 (including the splits), very bad shuttle and 3-cone. Vert also bad, mediocre broad.

Personally, I think it's safer to re-sign Spain now to compete for starting reps with Carman.
Spain can knock off Adeniji from the roster.

Volson can compete with Prince for the 4th OT spot.

His RAS recast as a guard, where they said he’d play, is actually 9.35, which with that context is really impressive.
Reply/Quote
Add Volson to that mix.

We'll see.

Not sure it's as much about running the ball more,even though they will I believe, but they better be a hell of a lot better in short yardage. Plus, I believe getting in JB in more play action with an effective running game will make this offense even more devastating.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: His RAS recast as a guard, where they said he’d play, is actually 9.35, which with that context is really impressive.

Yep.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think it has less to do with how much they plan to run next year and is more about addressing the issue on short yardage runs.

The NFL is a passing league now.  For a running game to be "successful" it doesn't have to put up big total yard numbers, but it has to be able to convert those short yardage situations.

And the defenses are adjusting. They are forcing you to run. You have to be able to run out of 10 personnel. Hell we couldn’t out of 12.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: His RAS recast as a guard, where they said he’d play, is actually 9.35, which with that context is really impressive.

Where did you see the recast and who said he'd play OG?
I'm on the RAS website and I don't see a separate RAS for OG, just OT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Where did you see the recast and who said he'd play OG?

Callahan and Pollock said he’d play guard but could bump out to tackle in a pinch. They also said he’d be in the competition at LG.

Someone above posted the recast.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep.

False.

Go to https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=21559&pos=OG&wu=&ovl=

Volson's RAS for an OG is 6.07, not 9.35.

Those combine/pro day metrics in the tweet aren't even Volson's
EDIT - Kent Lee Platte, creator of RAS, did not update Volson's RAS on his website from his Pro Day results on March 25. So even Volson's RAS for OT would be higher if going off the Pro Day results.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Where did you see the recast and who said he'd play OG?

Pollack said he will play Guard but I dont see his Guard RAS either...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: Callahan and Pollock said he’d play guard but could bump out to tackle in a pinch. They also said he’d be in the competition at LG.

Someone above posted the recast.

The recast is wrong.

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=21559&pos=OG&wu=&ovl=

Volson as an OG is 6.07 RAS.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The recast is wrong.

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=21559&pos=OG&wu=&ovl=

Volson as an OG is 6.07 RAS.

They used his pro day numbers I believe in the recast.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: They used his pro day numbers I believe in the recast.

Usually Kent Lee Platte updates the RAS to reflect the pro day numbers.
Are you sure those other numbers are from his Pro Day?
I tried googling Volson's Pro Day but couldn't find numbers.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote