Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Round 4 is Cordell Volson-O Line Blocker
(04-30-2022, 03:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's not as athletic as I think he'd need to be to start on the left side.
Just a "meh" 40 (including the splits), very bad shuttle and 3-cone. Vert also bad, mediocre broad.

Personally, I think it's safer to re-sign Spain now to compete for starting reps with Carman.
Spain can knock off Adeniji from the roster.

Volson can compete with Prince for the 4th OT spot.

Project his numbers as a guard, as the Bengals did, and he was a 93 RAS among guards in the draft.  This is where the Bengals see him.  

And use the numbers from his pro day, not the combine.  Look at the improvement!  Dude must have worked really hard over those few weeks.  

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/stats/Cordell-Volson-OT-NorthDakotaState
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Sounds like most see him at RG. Doesn’t bode well for moving him to the left side to compete with Carman.

He played all four spots over his 65 games (!) with 41 consecutive starts at the end of his career, and Pollack said he will compete at LG.  Carman on notice.  

Lapham summed it up pretty well when he said something to the effect of:  "He knows he was the only offensive player drafted, and there is one position on the line that isn't set.  See position, get position."  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 08:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He played all four spots over his 65 games (!) with 41 consecutive starts at the end of his career, and Pollack said he will compete at LG.  Carman on notice.  

Lapham summed it up pretty well when he said something to the effect of:  "He knows he was the only offensive player drafted, and there is one position on the line that isn't set.  See position, get position."  

I don't have any burning desire to see Carman fail. In fact I hope he turns into stud LG. But I'm glad there's competition. May the best man win.

And I'd still prefer they bring Spain back or some other vet for IOL. Just to be safe.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 08:37 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't have any burning desire to see Carman fail. In fact I hope he turns into stud LG. But I'm glad there's competition. May the best man win.

And I'd still prefer they bring Spain back or some other vet for IOL. Just to be safe.

While I agree with not wanting Carman to fail (and I hope my post didn't come across as such), I am ready to move on from Spain.  The offfensive line now belongs to the likes of Collins, Cappa, and Karras.  Jonah got the 5th year (I thought the timing of that announcement was odd...why tell other teams you aren't going to be interested in a tackle most likely?) and will likely get an extension if he takes another step and stays healthy again.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 08:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I agree with not wanting Carman to fail (and I hope my post didn't come across as such), I am ready to move on from Spain.  The offfensive line now belongs to the likes of Collins, Cappa, and Karras.  Jonah got the 5th year (I thought the timing of that announcement was odd...why tell other teams you aren't going to be interested in a tackle most likely?) and will likely get an extension if he takes another step and stays healthy again.  

Oh no I didn't mean to imply you want to see him fail. It's just that there seems to be some on here who have an ax to grind with him.

And I don't want Spain to be a starter. It's just that I'm not real thrilled with our depth. Most of them are young and unproven.

Bottom line I just don't want to see Joe getting blasted again.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 08:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh no I didn't mean to imply you want to see him fail. It's just that there seems to be some on here who have an ax to grind with him.

And I don't want Spain to be a starter. It's just that I'm not real thrilled with our depth. Most of them are young and unproven.

For sure on the last point, and one thing to consider is that it makes it much easier to plug a hole in an offensive line when the surrounding collective talent is better around it.
Reply/Quote
Wide receiver may not have been an option regardless....

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/5/2/23053591/nfl-rumors-bengals-punter-with-4th-round-pick-nfl-draft-2022

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 08:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Project his numbers as a guard, as the Bengals did, and he was a 93 RAS among guards in the draft.  This is where the Bengals see him.  

And use the numbers from his pro day, not the combine.  Look at the improvement!  Dude must have worked really hard over those few weeks.  

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/stats/Cordell-Volson-OT-NorthDakotaState

(05-02-2022, 08:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He played all four spots over his 65 games (!) with 41 consecutive starts at the end of his career, and Pollack said he will compete at LG.  Carman on notice.  

Loving this pick more and more. Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 08:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh no I didn't mean to imply you want to see him fail. It's just that there seems to be some on here who have an ax to grind with him.

Exactly.  And I agree about the Ax to grind.  I know he was far from a Pro Bowler, and probably short of what folks expected from a 2nd round selection, but he didn't allow a single sack and only 4 QB hits the entire season (462 snaps).  He graded out poorly largely due to an excess of penalties and 13 pressures.  He was actually pretty solid as a run blocker for a 21 year old rookie.  

I think his slow start was attributed to the back surgery that he put off his senior season to try and win a National Championship.  That impaired his ability to be in shape at the start of the season and everything just went down from there.  The guy did stay late almost every practice to work on his technique and conditioning.  

I don't know what to make of this allegation from when he was 18, and I hope to God it isn't true, but it sure is a bad look for a guy that already has minimal supporters.
Reply/Quote
If Cordell Volson can develop into as good of a Left Guard as Clint Boling was for so many years, not only will Jonah Williams' production level benefit from it, but when we need a yard to keep a drive going, we'll now likely have a damn good chance of getting that yard.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I watched the video of Pollack and Callahan discussing Volson,and Pollack really put his stamp of approval on this guy.He really likes everything about him.He goes into detail about Volson’s potential to become a really good LG.It appears Pollack single handedly picked him and Callahan backed him up on it.I watched some film on him,and read his scouting report.Excited to see what he can do.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 09:57 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I watched the video of Pollack and Callahan discussing Volson,and Pollack really put his stamp of approval on this guy.He really likes everything about him.He goes into detail about Volson’s potential to become a really good LG.It appears Pollack single handedly picked him and Callahan backed him up on it.I watched some film on him,and read his scouting report.Excited to see what he can do.

Pollack hasn't had much success with the Bengals when it comes to pass blocking, both in 2018 and last year.
It could be just he didn't have guys that fit his scheme both times.

Hopefully with the additions of Cappa, Karras, and Collins plus the drafting of Volson, we'll finally see a decent pass blocking OL.
If the OL is poor at pass blocking again, I'm going to really start getting concerned with Pollack's ability to coach pass protection.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I was looking up his stats and noticed his height is 6-7, that seems a bit tall for guard. Spain is 6-4 which seems like more of an ideal height since low man usually wins in the trenches. We shall see but I am not too optimistic with him and Carman. Still praying we come to our senses and sign Spain.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 05:30 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I was looking up his stats and noticed his height is 6-7, that seems a bit tall for guard. Spain is 6-4 which seems like more of an ideal height since low man usually wins in the trenches. We shall see but I am not too optimistic with him and Carman. Still praying we come to our senses and sign Spain.
I’ve seen 6’7 and 6’6 listed, I think he’s closer to 6’6 if I remember his coming measurements correctly. Pad level and bend can compensate for that. Cappa is the same height and has been a very solid guard and is still ascending.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 05:36 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: I’ve seen 6’7 and 6’6 listed, I think he’s closer to 6’6 if I remember his coming measurements correctly. Pad level and bend can compensate for that. Cappa is the same height and has been a very solid guard and is still ascending.

Might be a little tall for a Guard,but this guy seems to consistently get low and gets his pads squared up to the defense.He played 4 yrs. in College,mostly at RT,but he’s played every position but Center.There was a year,due to injuries,he played 4 out of the 5 positions on the line.24 yrs.old,so he’s a little more mature than your average rookie.

The reports I read kept mentioning about how powerful he is,and that he consistantly finishes his blocks well.Pollack also mentioned those two factors of his play as well,in the video.I think Pollack thinks he may have found the solution to his LG problem.At least I’m sure he’s hoping he has Anyways.
Reply/Quote
I’ve been watching clips of this dude, and I’m really liking what I’m seeing. Hopefully between him and D’Ante Smith (who I’m also high on) at least one of them pans out.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 10:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve been watching clips of this dude, and I’m really liking what I’m seeing. Hopefully between him and D’Ante Smith (who I’m also high on) at least one of them pans out.

I lot of people were talking about D'Ante Smith in the preseason, but have been pretty silent on him since then. I'd like to think between him, Carman and Volson someone can shore up that LG spot. I'm still very much in favor of Spain coming back not only to compete for the LG spot, but bare minimum backup all the other spots outside of C, which he is more than capable of doing.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 10:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This pick has probably grown on me the most. Was super bummed about losing the mammoth Faalele to the Ravens. Then we come back and grab this giant from the sticks of ND who loves the feeling of making his opponent give up and has done nothing but work and excel at multiple positions. He is a beast in his own right and has a lot more versatility than Faalele.

You've never been North Dakota, have ya? There is not a stick to be found!! LMAO
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 01:04 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I lot of people were talking about D'Ante Smith in the preseason, but have been pretty silent on him since then. I'd like to think between him, Carman and Volson someone can shore up that LG spot. I'm still very much in favor of Spain coming back not only to compete for the LG spot, but bare minimum backup all the other spots outside of C, which he is more than capable of doing.

I don’t think Spain is coming back. Would have already happened. And now they even gave out his #.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 10:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Pollack hasn't had much success with the Bengals when it comes to pass blocking, both in 2018 and last year.
It could be just he didn't have guys that fit his scheme both times.

Hopefully with the additions of Cappa, Karras, and Collins plus the drafting of Volson, we'll finally see a decent pass blocking OL.
If the OL is poor at pass blocking again, I'm going to really start getting concerned with Pollack's ability to coach pass protection.

If the line can't pass block with 1 minor upgrade ©, 1 significant upgrade (RG) and 1 tremendous upgrade (RT) it would definitely indicate an issue with the process. 

Currently:
LT - pretty good --------- last year same - he should be better with another year of experience and better neighbors 
LG - unknown   --------- last year yuck
C - good --------------------last year not good
RG - pretty good ------------ last year trash after Spain injured
RT - darn good -------------- last year dumpster fire after early starter injury

This line (on paper) went from one of the worst to a very good (top 10) offensive line
Reply/Quote