Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Round 5 is Tycen Anderson-Safety
Dane Brugler on Tycen Anderson:

“two-time team captain, and coaches say his leadership rallies the defense ... was a high school valedictorian and earned several academic awards at Toledo ... his special teams résumé is longer than a roller coaster line at Cedar Point.”
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's not to like about it?  The Safety room just got younger, faster, tougher.  The team just went from "What are we going to do if we can't reach a long term deal with Jesse Bates?" to now having two up and coming Safeties to eventually assume the roles.

(04-30-2022, 04:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Dude has good size and is highly athletic and fast.
Backup safety.
Also has versatility to play some slot CB.

Bengals have really invested into some DB depth now.

Curious to see who the last pick ends up being. Sucks basically having to wait until around the end of the 7th though.
Draft pretty much over at this point.

Guess I'll finish mowing the lawn.

(04-30-2022, 04:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: He was a preseason Thorpe watch list player, he is more than special teams. He’s actually a quality safety that can play both positions so he adds extra value for being active day roster potentially.

Where are you guys seeing a quality safety, potential CB? He is a liability in coverage, terrible QBR (114) vs crap competition. Now if it is true he may be moving to LB that is different IMO.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: you trade up if your guy is there and you feel the tradeup is worth it.. obviously the coaching staff had this penciled as the best fit and felt it was worth the trade up

Really?  I had no idea.  If this guy is staying at DB he needs a ton of work and not be in the game on passing downs, if he is moving to LB im good with that - he can definitely be a special team warrior.

Im still not big on trading up for this pick, but I'll wait to hear from the coaches.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:31 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I would've liked to have seen other areas get addressed. I'm beginning to see a trend workout with the Taylor and staff draft strategies besides having Burrow and Chase fall in there laps. They pick a need and just over draft it. I'll like it more if they sign more free agents after the draft.

Not sure I agree, or even follow your logic in that statement.  The Bengals currently have one of the highest paid Safety duos in the NFL.  They also have a fantastic franchise QB and elite WR targets for him to throw to.  Those offensive personnel are all going to be up for contract at some point, and there won't be the money to sustain one of the highest paid Safety combos in the league.  The way to avoid the drop off in production when one or both of those Safeties leaves for greener pa$tures is to have their replacements already on the roster and on the path to development.

They're not "over drafting" anything, just being prudent and preparing for the future.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Where are you guys seeing a quality safety, potential CB?  He is a liability in coverage, terrible QBR (114) vs crap competition.  Now if it is true he may be moving to LB that is different IMO.

The Bengals, as well as a significant portion of the league are moving to a 3 Safety look on defense.  He fits the "box" role, similar to a LB in defending the run and covering the short middle of the field.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Where are you guys seeing a quality safety, potential CB?  He is a liability in coverage, terrible QBR (114) vs crap competition.  Now if it is true he may be moving to LB that is different IMO.

I didn't say "quality" safety. I said backup.
And I said he had some versatility to play some slot CB, which he has played some in college.

He was likely drafted to be a ST guy who is one of the last DBs to come off the bench.

Hill will be ahead of him both at safety and slot CB.
Even if he ended up officially as a CB, he'll have CTB and Flowers ahead of him on the depth chart.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:34 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: Let me dream okay...

Sample being on this team for a while is more of a nightmare for me.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure I agree, or even follow your logic in that statement.  The Bengals currently have one of the highest paid Safety duos in the NFL.  They also have a fantastic franchise QB and elite WR targets for him to throw to.  Those offensive personnel are all going to be up for contract at some point, and there won't be the money to sustain one of the highest paid Safety combos in the league.  The way to avoid the drop off in production when one or both of those Safeties leaves for greener pa$tures is to have their replacements already on the roster and on the path to development.

They're not "over drafting" anything, just being prudent and preparing for the future.

I am glad they didn't reach for a TE.
TEs went flying off the board and many of them look like TE2-caliber guys or bottom-tier starters.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:37 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You know he will Wink

[Image: dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me-michael-clarke.gif]

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure I agree, or even follow your logic in that statement.  The Bengals currently have one of the highest paid Safety duos in the NFL.  They also have a fantastic franchise QB and elite WR targets for him to throw to.  Those offensive personnel are all going to be up for contract at some point, and there won't be the money to sustain one of the highest paid Safety combos in the league.  The way to avoid the drop off in production when one or both of those Safeties leaves for greener pa$tures is to have their replacements already on the roster and on the path to development.

Absolutely and this draft speaks to purpose and forethought. Their speed in the secondary is incredible and able to combat Watson,Lamar, and Mahomes. I really think we showed our run defense is fantastic in our late run. If they can handle it with Bell,Bates,Awouzie,Taylor-Britt,Hill or Anderson, and Wilson and Hilton oh my in a sub package. That’d be tough
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals, as well as a significant portion of the league are moving to a 3 Safety look on defense.  He fits the "box" role, similar to a LB in defending the run and covering the short middle of the field.

Better keep his ass in that box because WRs at a very low level destroyed the guy.    Horrible QBR, liability coverage mentions, etc..  Maybe he can cover TEs really well?  I just dont see why we traded up?

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: He was a preseason Thorpe watch list player, he is more than special teams. He’s actually a quality safety that can play both positions so he adds extra value for being active day roster potentially.

I just read somewhere, I've been bouncing around so much I forget where ? They might be thinking of him playing at LBer ?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals, as well as a significant portion of the league are moving to a 3 Safety look on defense.  He fits the "box" role, similar to a LB in defending the run and covering the short middle of the field.

Seems like that might be the plan ?
Reply/Quote
He is the clip where the NFL Network analyst is stating he will be a LB in the NFL.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/bengals-select-tycen-anderson-with-no-166-pick-in-2022-draft
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't say "quality" safety. I said backup.
And I said he had some versatility to play some slot CB, which he has played some in college.

He was likely drafted to be a ST guy who is one of the last DBs to come off the bench.

Hill will be ahead of him both at safety and slot CB.
Even if he ended up officially as a CB, he'll have CTB and Flowers ahead of him on the depth chart.

No you didnt, someone else did.  My issue with this pick why trade up?

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Where are you guys seeing a quality safety, potential CB? He is a liability in coverage, terrible QBR (114) vs crap competition. Now if it is true he may be moving to LB that is different IMO.

He is?

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 04:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Better keep his ass in that box because WRs at a very low level destroyed the guy.    Horrible QBR, liability coverage mentions, etc..  Maybe he can cover TEs really well?  I just dont see why we traded up?

Perhaps he played on a poor team, and was misused in his role there?  His physical attributes are for real, and the team definitely sees something in him that they like. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 05:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He is?

Look past the yards and the number of receptions... 114 QBR - he played the box short zone, so no deep passes but a lot of completions.  If he has truly already gained weight to 220 and strictly doing box stuff with TEs I guess thats better and Im sure he will be a ST fan favorite. Again, not sure why we traded up?

Reply/Quote

One of the highest paid safety duos? Because we tagged Bates and can't reach an agreement with him. If that qualifies for highest paid safety duos it feels like a technicality. Two years ago LB was a need we draft 3 and last year DE was a need we draft 3. Now this year S is a need and we draft 2. Just made worse by the fact one is a 1st rounder and we sacrificed 2 picks along the way. Not trying to argue and I'm sure I'll come around on the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 05:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Look past the yards and the number of receptions... 114 QBR - he played the box short zone, so no deep passes but a lot of completions.  If he has truly already gained weight to 220 and strictly doing box stuff with TEs I guess thats better and Im sure he will be a ST fan favorite. Again, not sure why we traded up?

I don’t put much stock into QBR.

Reply/Quote