Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Rule the Jungle
Free bottled water? Mike had one of these installed at PBS…

[Image: drinking_fountainsm.jpg]

What more do people want?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 10:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Free bottled water? Mike had one of these installed at PBS…

[Image: drinking_fountainsm.jpg]

What more do people want?

That is definitely not at the stadium. I don't see anywhere to insert your coins. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 11:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That is definitely not at the stadium. I don't see anywhere to insert your coins. 

It’s only for employees that have been there at least two decades.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 05:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That entire thing falls on the one and dones. I was there in the '80s. Riverfront was full and rocking. Super Bowl in '81 and '88 meant that playoff games were being won and there was some hope. 

I'm not sure how it was in 2005 but i'd have to think that after such a long drought, it had to be pretty full and loud then too. The Dalton/Green era was filled with one and dones and came off the Palmer/Johnson era, more specifically '06-'10. 

If this team gets a playoff win or two, plays in a CC or SB, you can be sure the stadium will be full and loud, no problem. 

You may be right, and I was a kid in the '80's, but it seems odd when you look at it from a historical perspective.  The '80's were the Bengals golden age, but they only had 4 winning seasons and 3 playoff berths during the decade and one of those was during the '82 strike year.  They broke a string of 3 straight losing seasons with the '81 AFC Championship team, went one and done in the strike year, then were mediocre to bad until '88.  

I'm apparently odd because when I go to a sporting event, I go to be entertained by watching the game.  Stuff like the playoff win drought doesn't really enter my mind.  Similarly, the whole "stadium experience" stuff doesn't really bug me, either, as long as the seats are reasonably comfortable and the food and drinks aren't ridiculously overpriced.  But apparently that stuff really does matter to some folks, which is why I assume I'm in the vast minority.  
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 09:00 PM)jason Wrote: What could possibly go wrong with dollar beers for a Bengals and Steelers game? It's should be a night game too...

a night game with a full moon on the 13th

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 06:45 PM)PDub80 Wrote: 100% Real: I gave them this idea at the pre-uniform reveal event I went to. I was the first fan who got to see the unis and the throne and when I asked what they were doing with it Elizabeth & my ticket rep said they weren't sure and would be discussing it... I then suggested a "King of the Jungle" title for a fan and putting it inside the stadium where fans could see it from their seats as kind of a themed throne overlooking the field. They loved it, but didn't know if the county, who owns the stadium, would allow it.

I suggested it go in the corner of the middle level, visitor's side overlooking the field. It would be awesome there and really a noticeable addition. We'll see where it goes!

I love that they are doing this!.... BTW, I suggested 1 fan per quarter could  have it as a seat, like at hockey games, and could get some free food or whatever. Or maybe a corp sponsor could sponsor an entire area themed around it.

We'll see how this develops!

PS: Another board member, West Coast Bengal can back me up on this. I told him about my idea immediately after the event and that I had shared it with the Bengals. He just txt me and asked if I get a royalty check... Ummmmm, no. I won't even get a bottle of water. Ha!

Cool and have no problem with this idea coming to fruition. Just don't like all the braggadocious Bengals talk without proving it on field yet.

Yet I like this team and the direction they're heading player wise, coaches still need to prove it to me and am straddling the fence on them still..

hope you're the first to get Kinged

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 11:10 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm assuming this is the work of Elizabeth Blackburn.  I know a lot of people on here really love what she's doing so I suppose she's doing a good job.

Me personally though, I guess I really am just a Negative Nelly, or a cynic.  I just don't need stuff like this; it's too much.  The "great empires", "the bold", "assert their dominance", it feels like I'm reading a pamphlet for some cheesy seminar or watching a pretentious commercial.

Just build a really good football team, and go out and win some games.  It's not that complicated for me.  I don't need whatever this is.

Fwiw, this was my reaction to reading this:

[Image: giphy.gif]

Bro if you’re gonna be negative, just root for a different team
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 06:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I seriously doubt the Colts factor in even in the slightest. I’ve lived in Cincinnati my entire life, and I’ve never met a Colts fan here.

It's the outlying areas that are affected, ie places like Louisville, where people who want to go to a game decide between 2 relatively close stadiums. Cincy and Indy are relatively the same difference give or take 20 minutes, then there is also Nashville which is roughly double at 3 hours. Then somewhere North of Cincinnati people that want to go to an NFL game are making the same choice about Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 01:09 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bro if you’re gonna be negative, just root for a different team

I swear, some of you would complain about a free cup of coffee. So they are trying new marketing crap, why complain. Ever been to an AHL hockey game? Hockey is all about fan interactions and going to the game is FUN. How can anyone turn that into a bad thing that they team is trying to instill some fun into the atmosphere. That does not mean they aren't working just as hard at putting a winning product on the field. It's not the same employees.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 11:10 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm assuming this is the work of Elizabeth Blackburn.  I know a lot of people on here really love what she's doing so I suppose she's doing a good job.

Me personally though, I guess I really am just a Negative Nelly, or a cynic.  I just don't need stuff like this; it's too much.  The "great empires", "the bold", "assert their dominance", it feels like I'm reading a pamphlet for some cheesy seminar or watching a pretentious commercial.

Just build a really good football team, and go out and win some games.  It's not that complicated for me.  I don't need whatever this is.

Fwiw, this was my reaction to reading this:

[Image: giphy.gif]

I hear ya, and I figured this would largely be the response on here.  That being said, I give them credit for adding the word WIN in to their tagline.  That tells me they get that it isn't just a bunch of hype, but they know that winning will be central to everything.  
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 07:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: Kyle Shannahan was 10-22 through two years and kept his staff in tact and made a SB in year 3. They also were chastised for not changing over their coordinators and it paid off. Not saying we are going to the SB, but saying "not sure this happens anywhere else" is a bit of hyperbole when similar situations have happened. While I know 10 is more than 6 (and a tie) but it's close enough to reasonably compare. The funny thing is the vaunted defense that carried them to the SB had not been really good at all the previous two seasons under Saleh.

This made me chuckle.  Shanahan has been a golden goose ever since he brought out the read-option with RGIII.  When he was with the Texans, I remember writing something to the effect of "we are very scared of a Kyle Shanahan-led offense, said no defensive coordinator ever".  But he had a really good season with RGIII and he did get Atlanta to the Super Bowl, only to have the most epic collapse of all time.'

Your reminder of his record should give people some pause when criticising ZT.  Shanahan was the youngest OC, but ZT was a very young HC.  Quite a difference.  

I won't go through all the BS about the hand ZT was dealt as it would get dismissed as excuses, but I really like how he has put this team together.  It was as though they dipped their toe in the water for a rebuild the first two years, but this time they went all-in and turned over the roster and have a younger team.  It isn't just the age, but the attitude they wanted.  

I won't offer ZT too much praise until it produces on the field, but your point is dead on.  

Here is to hoping it all comes together in 2021-2022.  
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 08:43 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree completely but until that begins and believe it will this season, reserve this sort of talk for later.

If you want to fill the stands have $1 soft drinks and hot dogs for all kids and try make it a family friendly atmosphere again. 

Except on steeler game days. Then have $1 beers with a free shot of tequila included with each purchase to all Bengals fans in attendance to pump up the volume. 

This made me spit coffee on the screen.  Well done.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
More like "Rue the Jungle". Amirite??!!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 12:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: PBS has an official seating capacity of 65,500, so an average attendance of 60k is still a lot of empty seats.  Also keep in mind that the club was buying large amounts of tickets during the Green-Dalton era to keep games on from being blacked out, so those attendance figures are heavily padded.  For the sake of comparison, the Bengals were bottom 5 in attendance 3 times during the '11-15' and never higher than 24th in that span.  

When you can't fill your stadium with a playoff team, you obviously have issues beyond just the product on the field.  I can't fault them for trying to fix the fan engagement/experience issues while trying to fix the issues on the field.

NFL eased blackout rules in 2012 and then totally eliminated/suspended them after the 2014 season. The Bengals have had a lot of support when they are winning. Unfortunately, the bad taste from the 90s still hasn't been washed away by the exciting teams of the mid 2000s-2015.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 12:13 AM)Whatever Wrote: You may be right, and I was a kid in the '80's, but it seems odd when you look at it from a historical perspective.  The '80's were the Bengals golden age, but they only had 4 winning seasons and 3 playoff berths during the decade and one of those was during the '82 strike year.  They broke a string of 3 straight losing seasons with the '81 AFC Championship team, went one and done in the strike year, then were mediocre to bad until '88.  

I'm apparently odd because when I go to a sporting event, I go to be entertained by watching the game.  Stuff like the playoff win drought doesn't really enter my mind.  Similarly, the whole "stadium experience" stuff doesn't really bug me, either, as long as the seats are reasonably comfortable and the food and drinks aren't ridiculously overpriced.  But apparently that stuff really does matter to some folks, which is why I assume I'm in the vast minority.  

A few things to consider...

1.) The Two Superbowl appearances.  I don't think you're doing it justice when these are somewhat lost in the description of "3 playoff berths".  

The 2nd Super Bowl especially was noteworthy.  That team with their no-huddle offense, the Icky shuffle, their rap, they were culturally important.  I won't go so far as to say they're like the '85 Bears, or the 90's Cowboys or something like that.  But that was a very entertaining Super Bowl team.

2.) Not as much competition.  There of course was no FC Cincinnati.  UC football wasn't really a thing.  UC and XU basketball were in the dumps for most of the decade.  All you really had was Reds and Bengals.

3.) The economy/the cost.  The economy was strong through most of the decade.  Also, ticket prices (and parking, food, beer) were much more reasonable then.  Prices have been steadily rising ever since. 

Some people simply can't afford to go to a game anymore.  It would cost a family of 4 probably a minimum of $300 to go a single game and that doesn't even leave all that much for food and drinks.  You're talking over $500 dollars if everyone wants a couple things to eat and a drink, and dad has a few beers, and maybe you buy a souveneir.

4.) TV quality at home.  Back in the day most people had a 19 inch TV at home, now they most likely have a 50 inch tv at home.  In full high definition, with better sound quality and a TV broadcast that does a much better job of presenting the game.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 11:23 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A few things to consider...

1.) The Two Superbowl appearances.  I don't think you're doing it justice when these are somewhat lost in the description of "3 playoff berths".  

The 2nd Super Bowl especially was noteworthy.  That team with their no-huddle offense, the Icky shuffle, their rap, they were culturally important.  I won't go so far as to say they're like the '85 Bears, or the 90's Cowboys or something like that.  But that was a very entertaining Super Bowl team.

2.) Not as much competition.  There of course was no FC Cincinnati.  UC football wasn't really a thing.  UC and XU basketball were in the dumps for most of the decade.  All you really had was Reds and Bengals.

3.) The economy/the cost.  The economy was strong through most of the decade.  Also, ticket prices (and parking, food, beer) were much more reasonable then.  Prices have been steadily rising ever since. 

Some people simply can't afford to go to a game anymore.  It would cost a family of 4 probably a minimum of $300 to go a single game and that doesn't even leave all that much for food and drinks.  You're talking over $500 dollars if everyone wants a couple things to eat and a drink, and dad has a few beers, and maybe you buy a souveneir.

4.) TV quality at home.  Back in the day most people had a 19 inch TV at home, now they most likely have a 50 inch tv at home.  In full high definition, with better sound quality and a TV broadcast that does a much better job of presenting the game.

I think you hit the nail with #4. The advent of large screen HDTV's is making going to the game less attractive. Sure, it's fun for the atmosphere and all that, but when I go to a game I feel like I'm really missing something without the broadcast with replays, etc. To counter this, I go to the game and enjoy it, but then watch it at home where it is recorded. A huge screen, the availability of grilling the food you want (or ordering pizza, etc) , having friends over, drinking your own drinks, no crowds or traffic to deal with, and don't have to worry about driving home after drinking at the game. I find it much more enjoyable for regular games. Still like going to the big ones though....
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 12:13 AM)Whatever Wrote: You may be right, and I was a kid in the '80's, but it seems odd when you look at it from a historical perspective.  The '80's were the Bengals golden age, but they only had 4 winning seasons and 3 playoff berths during the decade and one of those was during the '82 strike year.  They broke a string of 3 straight losing seasons with the '81 AFC Championship team, went one and done in the strike year, then were mediocre to bad until '88.  

In '81 they went to the SB. That year was kind of like '05 where they had some really lean years leading up to it and there wasn't really a bad taste of consecutive playoff defeats. 

'82 was another winning season, record-setting for K Anderson and they made the playoffs again. 
'83 was average.
'84 was a new, thought-to-be innovative coach and a new hotshot, brash young gunslinger QB. 
'85 was up and down with the "rebuild" but there were a lot of flashes of what was to come.
'86 they started off strong and finished 10-6 and it wasn't until the last monday night game of the season that they were knocked out of the playoffs.
'87 was the strike and a disaster
'88 super bowl again 
'89 was another year of fighting for the playoffs late to just miss it. 

The '80s were a lot more promising than how you may remember it, or see it from a historical standpoint. Other than '87 they were no worse than flirting around the .500 mark and they were contending or in the playoffs 5 of the 10 years. 

EDIT: i kind of dismissed '80 (lumped it in with the '70s) since if was the start of the turnaround when they hired Gregg. 

Reply/Quote
To those hating on this and with a dumpy attitude....

Why have a negative disposition towards fan involvement and outreach?

Personally, I enjoy being a Bengals fan regardless if they win or lose. I love the Bengals and, as long as they stay in the area I will continue to do so.

What do we as fans personally get if the Bengals win? NOTHING. The answer is NOTHING... Unless you're a gambler and always pick the Bengals to win. In which case, you're just an idiot. Not for picking the Bengals, but for ALWAYS picking them to win. It's not going to happen.

If pride is your answer I would suggest looking in the mirror and smacking yourself in the face like Vito Corleone slaps Johnny Fontane in the Godfather. "You can act like a man". A man who has his own successes and failures to tend to and actually have influence over. A man who has his own lot in life to financially grow and relationships to be your very best in. A man who doesn't allow another man's successes or failures to get him too high or too low because those are his and yours are yours. He can deal with the ramifications. YOU don't have to sweat them. YOU SWEAT YOURS. That's how life works.

Unless they are personally related to you, as a man (or woman), why on EARTH would you gain pride by another person's accomplishments... IN PROFESSIONAL ATHLETICS? Those are THEIR accomplishments that make them millionaires. You just watched them do it. Do you cheer for a chef as he makes himself a meal that only he gets to eat? Are you sad for the chef if they burn it? Do you cheer for a hedge fund manager as he crushes out another day making six figures an hour? Are you devastated for them if they lose their fortune by making bad trades? Does any of that actually ruin your day? NO... The answer to the above is NO. But, pro athletes? THAT'S a YES? Say What

^ Ask yourself this: Is Joe Burrow worried about you not filing your TPS reports properly? Answer: NO.... unless it directly affects his day. He is too busy working his butt off FOR HIS OWN ACCOMPLISHMENTS. He's not sweating your TPS reports to the degree it ruins his day, week, month, year.... because he has his own job to kick ass at. How's he going to do that if he's internalizing your TPS report screwups to the point it takes his eye off of what's important? Answer: He's NOT.

The Bengals are entertaining regardless of their W/L record. I still enjoy watching them. I still enjoy discussing them. I am still having exactly as much fun at the games as I do when they win as when they lose. I enjoy them on TV just the same as far as entertainment value goes. Hype them up if they win... make fun of them if they lose. It's reaaaaally that simple.

Because, if they win or lose, it matters naught. Our lives go on EXACTLY as they did before the game was played. We are not impacted for better or for worse, generally speaking. I'm a passionate fan, but that passion goes much much deeper than the surface of win/loss records. I want the Bengals to win and I enjoy when the Bengals win, but my life or happiness doesn't revolve around that. I'm a grown up with my own accomplishments and future personal successes I actually work towards.

Where are the Eagles fans attitudes at now after their SB win? Where were their attitudes a month after? They aren't any better off as a fan base when it comes to enjoying the Eagles because of a Superbowl run. My point is not that winning isn't enjoyable... It's that I cannot possibly understand how, after a long period of winning seasons and exciting games, the Bengals have to rebuild for a few years and it has people so triggered that they can't even enjoy the idea of fan outreach the Bengals are attempting. Did the letter come off as cheesy? Sure! But it was cheesy in a fun, caring way. The Bengals are turning a lot of new leaves and fan outreach is one of them. Why be upset? Fan outreach has ZERO to do with wins & losses...

Except that many of you bitching have stated you completely PASS on doing the ONE THING that you can to possibly influence the outcome of a game... ACTUALLY ATTEND THE GAMES AND CHEER/MAKE NOISE. That is such basic ***** behavior that it's insane to read. Cheap... lazy... crybabies. That is who the Bengals have turned some of you into. And it's a choice you make when instead you could listen to Vito Corleone and chose to be a man about it.

Get some damn perspective and go out to kick butt at YOUR day today and enjoy the Bengals win or lose.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals being forced to rebuild for a few years is an interesting spin to put on things. If you were Mike Browns great great great nephew you'd be cashing checks for that!
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 12:50 PM)PDub80 Wrote: To those hating on this and with a dumpy attitude....

Why have a negative disposition towards fan involvement and outreach?

Personally, I enjoy being a Bengals fan regardless if they win or lose. I love the Bengals and, as long as they stay in the area I will continue to do so.

What do we as fans personally get if the Bengals win? NOTHING. The answer is NOTHING... Unless you're a gambler and always pick the Bengals to win. In which case, you're just an idiot. Not for picking the Bengals, but for ALWAYS picking them to win. It's not going to happen.

If pride is your answer I would suggest looking in the mirror and smacking yourself in the face like Vito Corleone slaps Johnny Fontane in the Godfather. "You can act like a man". A man who has his own successes and failures to tend to and actually have influence over. A man who has his own lot in life to financially grow and relationships to be your very best in. A man who doesn't allow another man's successes or failures to get him too high or too low because those are his and yours are yours. He can deal with the ramifications. YOU don't have to sweat them. YOU SWEAT YOURS. That's how life works.

Unless they are personally related to you, as a man (or woman), why on EARTH would you gain pride by another person's accomplishments... IN PROFESSIONAL ATHLETICS? Those are THEIR accomplishments that make them millionaires. You just watched them do it. Do you cheer for a chef as he makes himself a meal that only he gets to eat? Are you sad for the chef if they burn it? Do you cheer for a hedge fund manager as he crushes out another day making six figures an hour? Are you devastated for them if they lose their fortune by making bad trades? Does any of that actually ruin your day? NO... The answer to the above is NO. But, pro athletes? THAT'S a YES? Say What

^ Ask yourself this: Is Joe Burrow worried about you not filing your TPS reports properly? Answer: NO.... unless it directly affects his day. He is too busy working his butt off FOR HIS OWN ACCOMPLISHMENTS. He's not sweating your TPS reports to the degree it ruins his day, week, month, year.... because he has his own job to kick ass at. How's he going to do that if he's internalizing your TPS report screwups to the point it takes his eye off of what's important? Answer: He's NOT.

The Bengals are entertaining regardless of their W/L record. I still enjoy watching them. I still enjoy discussing them. I am still having exactly as much fun at the games as I do when they win as when they lose. I enjoy them on TV just the same as far as entertainment value goes. Hype them up if they win... make fun of them if they lose. It's reaaaaally that simple.

Because, if they win or lose, it matters naught. Our lives go on EXACTLY as they did before the game was played. We are not impacted for better or for worse, generally speaking. I'm a passionate fan, but that passion goes much much deeper than the surface of win/loss records. I want the Bengals to win and I enjoy when the Bengals win, but my life or happiness doesn't revolve around that. I'm a grown up with my own accomplishments and future personal successes I actually work towards.

Where are the Eagles fans attitudes at now after their SB win? Where were their attitudes a month after? They aren't any better off as a fan base when it comes to enjoying the Eagles because of a Superbowl run. My point is not that winning isn't enjoyable... It's that I cannot possibly understand how, after a long period of winning seasons and exciting games, the Bengals have to rebuild for a few years and it has people so triggered that they can't even enjoy the idea of fan outreach the Bengals are attempting. Did the letter come off as cheesy? Sure! But it was cheesy in a fun, caring way. The Bengals are turning a lot of new leaves and fan outreach is one of them. Why be upset? Fan outreach has ZERO to do with wins & losses...

Except that many of you bitching have stated you completely PASS on doing the ONE THING that you can to possibly influence the outcome of a game... ACTUALLY ATTEND THE GAMES AND CHEER/MAKE NOISE. That is such basic ***** behavior that it's insane to read. Cheap... lazy... crybabies. That is who the Bengals have turned some of you into. And it's a choice you make when instead you could listen to Vito Corleone and chose to be a man about it.

Get some damn perspective and go out to kick butt at YOUR day today and enjoy the Bengals win or lose.

Jesus Christ...
Reply/Quote