Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Rule the Jungle
(07-25-2021, 04:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And i can't really think of a proper adjective to describe the three decades of MB, when you consider that his father was able to field competitive SB appearing teams while his great granddaughter is able to come up with ways to make the experience of attending a football game more fun. 

It's like he's a black hole of any kind of talent or imagination. 

I think there is a massive... massive difference in personality and thinking between all of those dots. PB, MB, KB, & EB.

MB basically looked at the Bengals as a business 1st and built a solid foundation for generational wealth. He also protected the shares of the business by making sure the family owned the vast majority of them... Which is an interesting topic to me because MB watched Art Model swindle the Browns from his dad. A lot of MB's career seems very old school financially focused. Remember, he came up BEFORE revenue sharing and I don't think he ever settled into that model very well.

I won't say winning was 2ndary to MB, but he just didn't have the wallet to do it in the 90s before the salary cap... nor the inherent talent to do it (himself as GM) post NFL salary cap. Remember, all of the Bengals major success came BEFORE NFL free agency as well. PB didn't have to deal with that and MB just wasn't the guy for those dynamics. He doesn't do well with change. I once heard MB's pace described as "Glacial", and I have to agree.

KB & EB, however, honestly seem soooooo different than MB as people. Neither of them are "Glacial". I think KB sat back for a very long time, like employees have to do, just having to watch mistake after mistake being made by the owner while having no influence or power to make a decision and take action.

EB just got there, but literally as soon as she did some really great things started happening AS FAR AS HER SCOPE OF A JOB IS CONCERNED. I think that's what set me off earlier. Like, the marketing people do marketing stuff. They have that job to do win or lose. And, I think... as far as the topic goes... they are starting to do really good things.

I genuinely belive that KB, EB, and the others are GREATLY different than MB. I see good things for the Bengals over the next several decades with these new Browns taking over.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 04:46 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I genuinely belive that KB, EB, and the others are GREATLY different than MB. I see good things for the Bengals over the next several decades with these new Browns taking over.

Actually, things I have gotten progessively worse since Katie's taken over.  It's been made apparent that since about 2016 on that Mike has taken a big step back and she's essentially been running the show.  Look no further than her role in the Whitworth situation and her leading the coaching search that landed us someone who has, so far, been one of the worst coaches in the history of the entire league.  Also, her husband is a clown and absolutely no business being involved in anything football related.

I can see applauding Elizabeth for marketing.  I can not see being hyped for the Katie Blackburn years,at leat not yet.  They've already started and it's been an absolute disaster. 

Hopefully she's smart enough to realize she's in over her head and will eventually bring in a GM to run things though. 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 04:46 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think there is a massive... massive difference in personality and thinking between all of those dots. PB, MB, KB, & EB.

MB basically looked at the Bengals as a business 1st and built a solid foundation for generational wealth. He also protected the shares of the business by making sure the family owned the vast majority of them... Which is an interesting topic to me because MB watched Art Model swindle the Browns from his dad. A lot of MB's career seems very old school financially focused. Remember, he came up BEFORE revenue sharing and I don't think he ever settled into that model very well.

I won't say winning was 2ndary to MB, but he just didn't have the wallet to do it in the 90s before the salary cap... nor the inherent talent to do it (himself as GM) post NFL salary cap. Remember, all of the Bengals major success came BEFORE NFL free agency as well. PB didn't have to deal with that and MB just wasn't the guy for those dynamics. He doesn't do well with change. I once heard MB's pace described as "Glacial", and I have to agree.

KB & EB, however, honestly seem soooooo different than MB as people. Neither of them are "Glacial". I think KB sat back for a very long time, like employees have to do, just having to watch mistake after mistake being made by the owner while having no influence or power to make a decision and take action.

EB just got there, but literally as soon as she did some really great things started happening AS FAR AS HER SCOPE OF A JOB IS CONCERNED. I think that's what set me off earlier. Like, the marketing people do marketing stuff. They have that job to do win or lose. And, I think... as far as the topic goes... they are starting to do really good things.

I genuinely belive that KB, EB, and the others are GREATLY different than MB. I see good things for the Bengals over the next several decades with these new Browns taking over.

I think KB definitely has some daddy in her when it comes to money and contracts. I honestly don't know how much of the on-field stuff she's into, other than the contracts, but i don't doubt that her philosophy (from a football team's standpoint) is a bit different than her fathers. After all, she's had many years to see how things were done that lead to, at best, one-and-done in the playoffs and all that comes with that--via media and fans. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 05:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Actually, things I have gotten progessively worse since Katie's taken over.  It's been made apparent that since about 2016 on that Mike has taken a big step back and she's essentially been running the show.  Look no further than her role in the Whitworth situation and her leading the coaching search that landed us someone who has, so far, been one of the worst coaches in the history of the entire league.  Also, her husband is a clown and absolutely no business being involved in anything football related.

I can see applauding Elizabeth for marketing.  I can not see being hyped for the Katie Blackburn years.  They've already started and it's been an absolute disaster. 

Hopefully she's smart enough to realize she's in over her head and will eventually bring in a GM to run things though. 

Well, it is kind of their "first" attempt...though, i don't know how much input she's had over the years...at signing a guy like Zac Taylor--a guy that fits the mold of the modern NFL; young, offensive minded, etc. 

I also don't know what their mindset was going into it. Did she(they) envision Zac being able to do anything with the Marv holdovers...did they realize it was going to take a couple years to turn the roster over(?). 

The last 2 off seasons have, by a large percentage of people, been seen as leaning towards a new roster and vision. It should, in my mind, lead to big results or a big bust. It's certainly consecutive years of things you don't normally see from the Bengals. 

I can't agree enough on an actual, proven GM but as long as someone named Brown owns this team, that's not going to happen. I don't see anyone in the current structure, falling far enough from the tree to do that. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 05:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Actually, things I have gotten progessively worse since Katie's taken over.  It's been made apparent that since about 2016 on that Mike has taken a big step back and she's essentially been running the show.  Look no further than her role in the Whitworth situation and her leading the coaching search that landed us someone who has, so far, been one of the worst coaches in the history of the entire league.  Also, her husband is a clown and absolutely no business being involved in anything football related.

I can see applauding Elizabeth for marketing.  I can not see being hyped for the Katie Blackburn years,at leat not yet.  They've already started and it's been an absolute disaster. 

Why did you choose 2016 as the year that Katie took over?

BTW, even though we have the occasional slap fight, I like you as a person and as a fellow Bengals fan. So, I'll give you a little hint before you answer.... Katie hasn't totally taken over. Brian Callahan just did an interview where he was asked about Joe Burrow in the preseason and one of the components to his answer was, and I quote, "Mr. Brown may or may not want him to play".
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 04:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And i can't really think of a proper adjective to describe the three decades of MB, when you consider that his father was able to field competitive SB appearing teams while his great granddaughter is able to come up with ways to make the experience of attending a football game more fun. 

It's like he's a black hole of any kind of talent or imagination. 

Gimmicky fan engagement has been around since before mike Brown took over.  This franchise chose to just wait generations to get up to speed.  I don't think Elizabeth Blackburn came up with anything so much as found a way to convince Mike Brown to do something optional.  That is impressive in itself, though. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 08:32 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Why did you choose 2016 as the year that Katie took over?

BTW, even though we have the occasional slap fight, I like you as a person and as a fellow Bengals fan. So, I'll give you a little hint before you answer.... Katie hasn't totally taken over. Brian Callahan just did an interview where he was asked about Joe Burrow in the preseason and one of the components to his answer was, and I quote, "Mr. Brown may or may not want him to play".

As long as Mike Brown draws breath we are going to be able to hope any bad decision was his idea.  
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 08:32 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Why did you choose 2016 as the year that Katie took over?

I just remember it was around that time that Mike started making more and more comments about him stepping back.  I know it's come up on here a bunch.  The old man has said numerous times over the last 5 or so years that it's basically her show.

Here's a semi-recent quote from him during the coaching search that landed us Taylor in 2019...

Quote:“My family now is included in these meetings. I sit there and get told what to do so I guess we’re making progress. I think it’s going well. With Katie, it’s true I’m still around and very happy to be around. I’m privileged to be the age I am, lucky to be doing what I’m doing, I’m aware of all that, I’m grateful...part of getting old is you hand off the ball. And I have people I am handing the ball off to, Katie and Paul and Troy, that’s our team, our administrative team…I think we’re in good hands.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 09:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Gimmicky fan engagement has been around since before mike Brown took over.  This franchise chose to just wait generations to get up to speed.  I don't think Elizabeth Blackburn came up with anything so much as found a way to convince Mike Brown to do something optional.  That is impressive in itself, though. 

Right. And he wasn't able, or simply didn't want to, do any of that stuff. He had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the previous decade, in anything resembling a current "modern" NFL. 

Which is even more maddening and insulting. He didn't want to do anything above the minimum to keep his franchise making money. 

I do take a sick kind of pleasure knowing that his legacy is clad in stone as, arguably, the worst owner in professional sports history, in many ways. 

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Right. And he wasn't able, or simply didn't want to, do any of that stuff. He had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the previous decade, in anything resembling a current "modern" NFL. 

Which is even more maddening and insulting. He didn't want to do anything above the minimum to keep his franchise making money. 

I do take a sick kind of pleasure knowing that his legacy is clad in stone as, arguably, the worst owner in professional sports history, in many ways. 

Also interesting that his granddaughter is the one convincing him to do stuff. Does that keep going when he's dead?  I can see Katie and Troy being less inclined to let their niece(?) Call the shots once the sentimental old fool is in the ground. 

This is all amusingly odd.  I'm bracing myself for the next three decades of Bengal ownership to go back to the "We know best, take it or leave it" mantra that Mike Brown had before he turned 90 or so and finally eased the stranglehold a bit.   

Palace intrigue, this. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Also interesting that his granddaughter is the one convincing him to do stuff. Does that keep going when he's dead?  I can see Katie and Troy being less inclined to let their niece(?) Call the shots once the sentimental old fool is in the ground. 

This is all amusingly odd.  I'm bracing myself for the next three decades of Bengal ownership to go back to the "We know best, take it or leave it" mantra that Mike Brown had before he turned 90 or so and finally eased the stranglehold a bit.   

Palace intrigue, this. 

*Daughter

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Also interesting that his granddaughter is the one convincing him to do stuff. Does that keep going when he's dead?  I can see Katie and Troy being less inclined to let their niece(?) Call the shots once the sentimental old fool is in the ground. 

Palace intrigue, this. 

I'm 99.9999% positive that Elizabeth is their daughter.

Fwiw, while I wouldn't doubt she's helped with getting some changes made, I wouldn't discount the steadily declining attendance essentially forcing their hand.  When you've got a half-stadium, and you're losing millions of dollars, you gotta try something.  I think that has more to do with this stuff than she being the one who finally convinced them to try new things.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm 99.9999% positive that Elizabeth is their daughter.

Fwiw, while I wouldn't doubt she's helped with getting some changes made, I wouldn't discount the steadily declining attendance essentially forcing their hand.  When you've got a half-stadium, and you're losing millions of dollars, you gotta try something.  I think that has more to do with this stuff than she being the one who finally convinced them to try new things.

I just chalk it up to the Bengals always being a decade behind the rest of the league. 

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm 99.9999% positive that Elizabeth is their daughter.

Hopefully they listen to her and she's more into copying other franchises.  It's just wacky thinking that after 31 years of Mike Brown we are looking forward to competent and active ownership possibly taking over in 30+ years.  Eep!

BREAKING NEWS
Bengals fans hopeful someone scheduled to own the team circa 2061 could be good. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 09:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Gimmicky fan engagement has been around since before mike Brown took over.  This franchise chose to just wait generations to get up to speed.  I don't think Elizabeth Blackburn came up with anything so much as found a way to convince Mike Brown to do something optional.  That is impressive in itself, though. 

Just noticed this.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 12:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

The ultimate Superfan.

If, *IF* any fan goes on the Ring of Honour or anything like that, JB deserves it more than anyone else.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 12:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The ultimate Superfan.

If, *IF* any fan goes on the Ring of Honour or anything like that, JB deserves it more than anyone else.

Indeed
Reply/Quote