Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumor Browns offer 3rd rounder for McCarron
Unless they do this as a nice gesture to Hue Jackson I doubt it will happen.

I'd want at least the 2nd round pick as well.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Without looking at all the replies, I say no to this idea.

I know a third round selection sounds enticing, but McCarron's value surpasses that.

Third round players DO have the potential to impact the game, but it's not a certainty.

To me at least, this is a weak draft. It's already hard enough to find talent.

As it stands, McCarron could be the starter on a poor to mediocre team. I just don't see the value.

I would rather have one of the best backup QBs in the league, honestly.
Reply/Quote
I agree Bengals_Legendary,

Looks like the Browns want a decent QB for a 3rd round pick so they can maybe go with Joey Bosa or something in the draft.

I say a 2nd round pick if hes that important to what the Browns are trying to piece together.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
No way we should do that with a division rival.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 11:23 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: No way we should do that with a division rival.

On the other side of that, no way should the Browns send a decent draft pick to a division rival that has shown they don't stink at drafting players.  It's not like this trade with a rival isn't a two-way street.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:13 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: For those saying they're worried about losing McCarron because if Dalton goes down we don't have a backup, here's a list of free agent QBs:

Kirk Cousins
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Sam Bradford
Brock Osweiler
Chase Daniel
Matt Moore
Tarvaris Jackson
Chad Henne
Matt Schaub
Brandon Weeden
Jimmy Clausen
Colt McCoy
Matt Hasselbeck
Drew Stanton
Dan Orlovsky
Bruce Gradkowski
Charlie Whitehurst
T.J. Yates
Matt Cassel
Luke McCown
Scott Tolzien
Michael Vick
Matt Flynn
Kellen Clemens
Josh Freeman

There's quite a few QBs to pick from to back up Andy Dalton. Could even get a guy who's a veteran and have him teach Dalton as well.

Now eliminate anyone who will command less than 1 million a year the next 2 years. Then eliminate anyone likely to be resigned. AJM is the perfect backup as he is good enough to develop into a franchise QB someday and is very inexpensive allowing us to use cap dollars on other players.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 11:37 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Now eliminate anyone who will command less than 1 million a year the next 2 years. Then eliminate anyone likely to be resigned. AJM is the perfect backup as he is good enough to develop into a franchise QB someday and is very inexpensive allowing us to use cap dollars on other players.

I can't see the future, but Dalton can, and should be our starting QB for a long time.  AJM is either leaving Cincy for a starting gig via a trade now, or he's going to test free agency to some capacity in 2 years.  I think we could make more use of another Gio-level draft pick than a developmental backup that is going to be in his 30s by the time Dalton is done here, barring some falling-out or Dalton-meltdown.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 11:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: On the other side of that, no way should the Browns send a decent draft pick to a division rival that has shown they don't stink at drafting players.  It's not like this trade with a rival isn't a two-way street.

Franchise quarterbacks change everythng. If Hue feels like AJM is a franchise Qb then they will overpay.

Really it's a low risk situation for Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 12:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Franchise quarterbacks change everythng.   If Hue feels like AJM is a franchise Qb then they will overpay.    

Really it's a low risk situation for Cleveland.

Our last resurgence came via Hue overpaying for a guy we weren't going to use...it's fate!  Get it done!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 11:37 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Now eliminate anyone who will command less than 1 million a year the next 2 years. Then eliminate anyone likely to be resigned. AJM is the perfect backup as he is good enough to develop into a franchise QB someday and is very inexpensive allowing us to use cap dollars on other players.

For God sake pick up TJ Yates so he can't dominate us anymore!!!!
Reply/Quote
I would consider the second rounder, but I doubt that would ever happen.
Reply/Quote
This thread has cracked me up. People waaaay over-valuing McCarron and putting too much credence into some guy making shizz up online.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 12:41 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I would consider the second rounder, but I doubt that would ever happen.

Would it be the 34th overall?  I'd take that in a heartbeat.

(01-17-2016, 12:43 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: This thread has cracked me up. People waaaay over-valuing McCarron and putting too much credence into some guy making shizz up online.

Meh, typical off-season bluster to be sure, but it makes sense for the Browns to get a QB who has some real game experience and time in Hue's system.  AJM is young enough to have that future potential, but won't need to sit on a bench behind McCown for a year like anyone they will draft.  Hue could fall into that Browns-trap of drafting a raw QB, playing McCown for 6 games and then throwing the new guy out there hopelessly when McCown is benched or injured.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 12:13 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: For God sake pick up TJ Yates so he can't dominate us anymore!!!!

Lol, imagine that. Hue would be guaranteed 2 wins a year.

One thing is probably for sure, Hue will pick a QB and not swap. Browns are just a mess. I bet Hue gets to stay for at least 3 years, really unfair if they expect any results with their roster as-is. The 3rd year ending 8-8 would be a dream for them.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 12:13 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: For God sake pick up TJ Yates so he can't dominate us anymore!!!!

Yes sign him to a life long contract. Tired of watching that guy come in and beat us
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Here's some notable QB trades over the last decade plus:

Matt Cassel: From Pats to Chiefs for a 2nd rounder (after leading Pats to an 11-5 record with 3700 yards and 21 TDs)
Matt Schaub: From Falcons to Texans for a pair of 2nd rounders + a swap of 1st round picks
Matt Flynn: From Seahawks to Raiders for a 5th and a conditional pick
Brett Favre: From Packers to Jets for a conditional 4th 
Drew Bledsoe: From Patriots to Bills for a 1st rounder
Carson Palmer: From Bengals to Raiders for a 1st and conditional 2nd - Then from Raiders to Cardinals for a 6th
Kevin Kolb: From Eagles to Cardinals for a 2nd rounder and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Only Bledsoe and Palmer netted 1st round picks. Both were established franchise QBs. The Browns would be foolish to offer the 2nd overall pick for McCarron.

Would take that Schaub trade for him in a split second. But it will never happen.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The good thing about it if it is true is that the Bengals can go either way giving them much leverage.

Could hold pat and have a solid back up on the cheap for two more years if right deal is not offered. Or trade for a sweet deal.

Trades I would hold out for.

1st round pick
2nd and 4th round pick
3rd rounder and swapping 1st round selections
3rd round pick this year and a 3rd next year as well
3rd round selection and AJ's wife stays in Cincinnati as cheerleader [she is too hot for Cleveland anyway]

If Hue really wants him ? Which he may, then he will pay more. Either way the Bengals do not lose imo.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Not a chance. We won't trade within the division, that I am certain of. That is unless Mikey B has a sudden attack of stupid. Let the Browns fix their own problems.

Remember that we'd have to draft another QB to train. So whatever pick we use to draft a QB would be consumed. If we use a 4th round pick on a QB, then really all we'd be getting is moved up two rounds. Not sure giving up McCarron would be worth that. He came closest to winning a playoff game of any QB we've had since Boomer.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 12:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Would it be the 34th overall?  I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Meh, typical off-season bluster to be sure, but it makes sense for the Browns to get a QB who has some real game experience and time in Hue's system.  AJM is young enough to have that future potential, but won't need to sit on a bench behind McCown for a year like anyone they will draft.  Hue could fall into that Browns-trap of drafting a raw QB, playing McCown for 6 games and then throwing the new guy out there hopelessly when McCown is benched or injured.

The drafting of Manziel was the owner's choice, not the coaches or the GM's. That's the Brown's trap. Hue won't have that much say in the draft and won't even be allowed to choose his 53 man roster. Manziel was in his 2nd year, same as McCarron. McCarron turned out to the better choice.

Reply/Quote
I would easily be okay trading McCarron for some high level draft pick(s). Maybe swap 2nd rounders and they give us a 3rd or 4th or something.

McCarron was reliable and showed a lot of promise in his first 4 games and he knows Hue's system. But he also did not light up the stat sheet either. Cleveland is such a mess right now that getting an upgrade at QB is not going to suddenly make them contenders. They are losing two of their best offensive linemen this offseason and their defense ranks in the bottom 3rd of the major categories. It's going to take years and a lot of developing to if they want to seriously contend.

People seem to forget that helping Cleveland also helps us as well. Yes, we may have a tougher opponent for 2 games out of the year, but so will the Steelers and Ravens. Cleveland may be able to add a loss or two to their records here during our window to hopefully get a Super Bowl win.

Also our roster is pretty solid at this point. But I think you also got to take the chance of upgrading another position by moving McCarron. Dalton hadn't missed a game since he came into the league until that thumb this year. So he is pretty reliable to play every game, whereas McCarron might not see the field again until his contract is up. His trade stock will never be higher than it is now and you, more likely than not, will not have to use him again. I think you take the chance to get another high level draft pick to upgrade a weaker position.
Reply/Quote