Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumor Browns offer 3rd rounder for McCarron
Sometimes, I get calls to bid on jobs I don't want to do. I see this as soon as I see the job.

I never pass on it, though. I bid the price it will take for me to want to do it. Jobs that I just flat out refuse to do are very rare, so most of the time, there is that price that will give me no choice but do the job.

I can wait for that price, since I'd rather not even touch it. Believe me, I did not invent this policy. Every contractor I know uses some version of it.

IMO, such a model applies very well here. Get the exact price you want or stay put.

No to your offer, Hue. But see if you can wow me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'd take a 2nd rnd. He will not want to be a backup forever and you might as well get something for him will you can. Unless someone else is offering more.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not really going to get into the war of "what ifs" at this point in time. However, I have noticed many people suggesting that Cleveland's 2nd round pick will be 32 overall. Ahem, there are 32 teams in the league, the #32 pick goes to the Super Bowl winner. So, wouldn't Cleveland's 2nd round pick be the #34 overall?

Discuss

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Now, why would Hue Jackson want AJM? Doesn't he know that Ajm can't read defenses, has horrible pocket presence, and below average arm strength? I mean, this has been well-documented by members of this very message board.

Either Hue Jackson can't evaluate players correctly (and we should be glad he left) OR maybe AJM is a decent QB and its the members here that really don't know what they're talking about.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. You're looking at McNabb with the benefit of hindsight. No one thought McNabb was done after the 2009 season. Many thought the Eagles were foolish to trade him within the division. He had a 92.9 rating with 22 TDs to 10 INTs in 2009. It was on par with any other season of his career. The value he got in trade (at 33 years old) shows that the Skins didn't think he was done either.

2. Hey, if we can get the 2nd overall pick out of Cleveland, by all means I hope we try. Maybe they really want to emulate the Bengals (who could blame them?) and will be desperate to land McCarron to go with Hue. I'm just saying I don't think it's likely that the price will go that high. I'd be interested to see how many times - in NFL history - that the 2nd overall pick has been traded for a player, straight up. The Browns can be desperate and maybe a little dumb, but I wouldn't count on them being THAT dumb.

3. Are you saying you'd only give McCarron up for the 2nd overall pick? I think the 32nd overall pick would also be a hell of a deal. Heck I think a 3rd + a good player would be a really good deal. Honestly, it all depends on how the Bengals and Browns value McCarron. We as fans have a tendency to overvalue (or occasionally undervalue) players. There's so many variables. Who knows how the Bengals value McCarron, but on paper I think getting the 32nd overall pick for a 2014 5th rounder is an amazing return.

McNabb was already going down hill by then. I think he was benched briefly just that prior year to try to drill some sense in him. If you look at his career it doesn't indicate he had problems on the field even his year in Minnesota his numbers aren't bad. Washington may have thought they were getting a good deal but I think the Eagles knew where McNabb was at in his career. Clearly Washington saw what Philly saw and dumped him after a year. McCarron holds more value though because they're trying to build him into a franchise QB for the next decade. If the Browns got what they would be hoping for then I don't think it's a lot to ask for a franchise QB that we would have to be facing twice and year and competing for a division title with.

Looking at the big picture If the worst case scenario happens and the Browns build a good team with Hue and McCarron at the core I'm not sure I can say I'd feel like we would have got a good deal without some serious compensation in return. Teams are so desperate right now for a franchise QB that if they really believe McCarron is their guy I think they will pay heavily for him. I'd take the 32nd pick overall for McCarron as long as I felt like the rest of the trade package was fair.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 08:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not really going to get into the war of "what ifs" at this point in time.  However, I have noticed many people suggesting that Cleveland's 2nd round pick will be 32 overall.  Ahem, there are 32 teams in the league, the #32 pick goes to the Super Bowl winner.  So, wouldn't Cleveland's 2nd round pick be the #34 overall,

Discuss

Patriots had to forfeit their pick due to deflate gate. Cleveland picks first in the 2nd round so they have the 32 overall pick. Although the pick is in the 2nd round the 32nd pick usually occurs in the first. 
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 08:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not really going to get into the war of "what ifs" at this point in time.  However, I have noticed many people suggesting that Cleveland's 2nd round pick will be 32 overall.  Ahem, there are 32 teams in the league, the #32 pick goes to the Super Bowl winner.  So, wouldn't Cleveland's 2nd round pick be the #34 overall?

Discuss

Titans and Browns have same record of 3-13....Titans get #1 and #33 picks....Browns get #2 and #32 picks....

There are only 31 picks in the first round due to the Patriots losing their first round pick from Deflate-gate.....
Reply/Quote
AJ McCarron isn't worth less than a 3rd rounder to us, but isn't worth more than a 3rd to the Browns.

It's probably just an unsubstantiated rumor, I doubt either team would want to pull a big trade like that in the division.
Reply/Quote
Fuq hue and the browns...we trade them nothing....ever.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 08:48 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: AJ McCarron isn't worth less than a 3rd rounder to us, but isn't worth more than a 3rd to the Browns.

It's probably just an unsubstantiated rumor, I doubt either team would want to pull a big trade like that in the division.

I thought the trade deadline passed and no trades permitted until after the Super Bowl anyway
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm willing to gamble a 2nd in the last year of his contract

Reply/Quote
1st or 2nd then AJ can go rot with the other QBs the browns have destroyed. Until then, hes our above average backup
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 08:36 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Now, why would Hue Jackson want AJM?  Doesn't he know that Ajm can't read defenses, has horrible pocket presence, and below average arm strength?  I mean, this has been well-documented by members of this very message board.

Either Hue Jackson can't evaluate players correctly (and we should be glad he left) OR maybe AJM is a decent QB and its the members here that really don't know what they're talking about.

Finally someone with some sense on here. The McCarron hate on here is comical. If someone hadn't watched an NFL game in 5 or 6 years and read this board, they would think Dalton has won 3 Super Bowls and was the mvp for all of em. 

McCarron will be a high caliber starting QB in the NFL who doesnt crack under pressure. I'm not even gonna repond to all the idiotic things I've read on here about how bad AJ has been. All I will say is, AJ looks light years ahead of Andy in his 4th game. As to the wildcard game against the Steelers, noone lights it up in a downpour, just ask Tom Brady. 

I would trade Andy for a 1st round pick without hesitation and name AJ the starter going forward. Would set our franchise up for even more long term success.
Reply/Quote
No dice Brownies......we need to keep AJM. If they DO trade him....get the #2 and Austin Davis, as leonardfan40 mentioned.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
First or all, having a franchise quarterback is worth more than the quarterback's weight in gold in the NFL. Here are the starting quarterbacks in the league:

Franchise Quarterbacks that the teams are happy with (14 players):
Tom Brady, Big Ben, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Andrew Luck (even after the 2015 campaign), Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Tony Romo (but definitely in the market), Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan (even after this crappy season), Carson Palmer and Russell Wilson.

Franchise Quarterbacks that are marginal (3):
Matthew Stafford, Jay Culter and Ryan Tannehill.

Quarterbacks that might be future Franchise Quarterback (8):
Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Kirk Cousins, Brock Osweiler and Tyrod Taylor.

Quarterbacks that are either Game Managers and/or "Guy Keeping the Car Warm" (3):
Alex Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick (slightly better version of Jon Kitna), Brian Hoyer (Jon Kitna 2.0)

Teams with major quarterback issues (4):
Browns (Johnny Football)
49ers (Blaine Gabbert/Colin Kaepernick)
Rams (Case Keenum/Nick Foles)
Eagles (Sam Bradford)

Basically going into 2016 there are 4 teams that are desperate for a QB (Browns, 49ers, Rams and Eagles), 3 teams looking for an upgrade at QB (Texans, Bills and Jets even after the career year from Fitzpatrick), and the Cowboys are looking for a future QB post-Tony Romo. Every year there are around 8 teams looking for a QB....but there are never 8 starting quarterbacks in a draft. This is why trading McCarron or Dalton might not be a bad idea.

Since McCarron was "meh" not good in the Wild Card game, trade him for a 1st round draft pick at a minimum. If no team bites, then keep him. Have a legit Dalton vs McCarron QB fight for the job in 2016.

If any team does bite on getting McCarron, then the Bengals can add another legit player via draft.

Sorry but Dalton is a franchise QB and a top ten QB in the league. McCarron might be at the "Tannehill tier" at this point in his career. He does have some upside, but the team is in "win now mode", not "win 2-4 years down the road mode".

This is a great problem to have. I like Dalton and I like McCarron. But in the end, it's business.

P.S. If Browns offered the #32 pick in 2016, 3rd/4th round pick in 2017 and swapping of the Browns first round pick for the Bengals 2nd round pick in 2018 (dependent on if McCarron hits maybe 70% of snaps and/or the Browns make the playoffs within two years), I would be for a trade like that....Very win-win for both teams....
Reply/Quote
Id still wait to see what other teams offer. This off season will be interesting.
Reply/Quote
I would make them pay if not we get a very good backup that can win. I wouldn't take nothing less than a 2nd round pick.
Reply/Quote
Heard he offered a 4th for Andy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'd take it.

It's Dalton's team, not AJ's. We have some free agents this year and we are going to have some holes we need to fill. Of course I take a 3rd round pick for our backup QB.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 11:09 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: Finally someone with some sense on here. The McCarron hate on here is comical. If someone hadn't watched an NFL game in 5 or 6 years and read this board, they would think Dalton has won 3 Super Bowls and was the mvp for all of em. 

McCarron will be a high caliber starting QB in the NFL who doesnt crack under pressure. I'm not even gonna repond to all the idiotic things I've read on here about how bad AJ has been. All I will say is, AJ looks light years ahead of Andy in his 4th game. As to the wildcard game against the Steelers, noone lights it up in a downpour, just ask Tom Brady. 

I would trade Andy for a 1st round pick without hesitation and name AJ the starter going forward. Would set our franchise up for even more long term success.

This would be ridiculous.

I don't see anyone here saying AJM is terrible.  No one hates him.  However you are delusional if you think AJM is light years ahead of Andy. 

Trade AJM, a 3rd rounder for a back up QB that we got in the 5th round would be a win.

The only reason I wouldn't trade AJM for a 3rd rounder is because I think we could get more for him, from Cleveland and Hue.  Hue has to know that him being a long term HC will depend on his short term success with the Browns.  He needs a QB in order to have hope for short term success.

The draft doesn't have much to offer, FA isn't looking great, though there are some options.  No other team has back up QBs that look as accomplished as AJM.  So unless Cleveland is willing to allow him a couple years to find his guy and then see if he can be successful, then Hue will need one immediately.

That type of need, will allow us to negotiate a better offer for AJM and the 2nd round pick is more in line to what both parties would be looking for.
Reply/Quote