Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumor Browns offer 3rd rounder for McCarron
(01-16-2016, 05:15 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: A lot of you guys are asking for more then a third which is good but still not enough. This is a division trade, lack of promising QBs on the market this year and a lack of promising QBs in the draft and we should be asking for a lot.

A 1st this year and a 3rd next year.

a 3rd round draft pick would be a good deal for McCarron. I mean the Bears traded Brandon Marshall (who IMO is arguably a top 5 receiver) for a 5th rounder. I would give McCarron and a 5th rounder for someone like Marshall.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't trade them anything at all. Just let them twist and fail like always then in two years we can bring Hue back and not be worried about this. Screw the Browns, why would you ever trade a player with any skill to a division rival?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
If we trade AJM to the Browns, pay off the package HAS to be McCown coming to us. Dude would probably be a better backup than AJM.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 05:15 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: A lot of you guys are asking for more then a third which is good but still not enough. This is a division trade, lack of promising QBs on the market this year and a lack of promising QBs in the draft and we should be asking for a lot.

A 1st this year and a 3rd next year.

Here's some notable QB trades over the last decade plus:

Matt Cassel: From Pats to Chiefs for a 2nd rounder (after leading Pats to an 11-5 record with 3700 yards and 21 TDs)
Matt Schaub: From Falcons to Texans for a pair of 2nd rounders + a swap of 1st round picks
Matt Flynn: From Seahawks to Raiders for a 5th and a conditional pick
Brett Favre: From Packers to Jets for a conditional 4th 
Drew Bledsoe: From Patriots to Bills for a 1st rounder
Carson Palmer: From Bengals to Raiders for a 1st and conditional 2nd - Then from Raiders to Cardinals for a 6th
Kevin Kolb: From Eagles to Cardinals for a 2nd rounder and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Only Bledsoe and Palmer netted 1st round picks. Both were established franchise QBs. The Browns would be foolish to offer the 2nd overall pick for McCarron.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 05:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If we trade AJM to the Browns, pay off the package HAS to be McCown coming to us. Dude would probably be a better backup than AJM.

He's too expensive though. He's due 4.3 million this year and 3.6 next year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Here's some notable QB trades over the last decade plus:

Matt Cassel: From Pats to Chiefs for a 2nd rounder (after leading Pats to an 11-5 record with 3700 yards and 21 TDs)
Matt Schaub: From Falcons to Texans for a pair of 2nd rounders + a swap of 1st round picks
Carson Palmer: From Bengals to Raiders for a 1st and conditional 2nd - Then from Raiders to Cardinals for a 6th
Kevin Kolb: From Eagles to Cardinals for a 2nd rounder and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Only Bledsoe and Palmer netted 1st round picks. Both were established franchise QBs. The Browns would be foolish to offer the 2nd overall pick for McCarron.

Well, it's not like foolish and Browns have never been  mentioned in the same sentence.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:09 PM)McC Wrote: Well, it's not like foolish and Browns have never been  mentioned in the same sentence.

Well...ok you got me. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 05:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If we trade AJM to the Browns, pay off the package HAS to be McCown coming to us. Dude would probably be a better backup than AJM.

McCown is probably a better QB than McCarron right now. I don't see them getting rid of McCown until at least next year with McCarron holding the clipboard for another year.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:11 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: McCown is probably a better QB than McCarron right now. I don't see them getting rid of McCown until at least next year with McCarron holding the clipboard for another year.

"Let me get a McPick 2!"

[Image: Hue-Jackson-hiring-means-Brown-860x450_c.jpeg]

If it happens please let this be our DBs new catch phrase.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 05:19 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: a 3rd round draft pick would be a good deal for McCarron. I mean the Bears traded Brandon Marshall (who IMO is arguably a top 5 receiver) for a 5th rounder. I would give McCarron and a 5th rounder for someone like Marshall.

So the Bears make a crap deal and that's the bar the Bengals should aspire to meet? Lets break this down...

Brandon Marshall

• Wide Receiver
  • 30+ years old
  • Played in the NFC North at the time traded to the AFC East
  • Dysfunctional
AJ McCarron

• Quarterback (A position in high demand)
  • Will be heading into his third season
  • Plays in the AFC North in hypothetical trade scenario he will be traded within the AFC North
  • Team Player
It's really a poor comparison.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Here's some notable QB trades over the last decade plus:

I don't see any of those guys being traded to a division opponent other then Bledsoe (who was one of the first rounders.) Wouldn't you agree their should be a price hike for trading within the division? Especially when we're talking about a franchise that has proven time and time again to make foolish decisions.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 01:41 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: It took us long enough to get a backup QB here that we can count on when needed. Why on earth would we want to trade him away, and weaken our team? We will have enough to worry about without creating another need.

Not a fan of trading him at all. Unh Unh, no way Jose.

Couldn't agree more! The strength of this team is its depth. I understand it sounds like a tempting gamble but we already have time invested in AJ and he has proven to be at the very least efficient. Not to mention there goes our depth at QB. It's already gonna be a tough off season considering safety depth.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd rather see him end up on the Browns with Hue.  I feel like Hue would pay more because he obviously wants AJ and it's an in division trade.  Plus, if we are worried about the Browns becoming "too good" we aren't going all the way, anyways.

I agree. I think you misunderstood. I want the price driven up. Yes hue will pay more which is what I am counting on. However the Rams are ready made to win. If they had AJM they could actually have a competent offense now. It would be more fun for AJM to go there.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:34 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I don't see any of those guys being traded to a division opponent other then Bledsoe (who was one of the first rounders.) Wouldn't you agree their should be a price hike for trading within the division? Especially when we're talking about a franchise that has proven time and time again to make foolish decisions.

The only recent QB trades within a division (that I can recall) are Bledsoe and McNabb. McNabb was traded for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd/4th.

You wouldn't put McCarron on the same level as Bledsoe and McNabb though, would you?

If I really think about it, no I don't think there should be a price hike simply to trade within your division. If you really feel a player is going to come back and hurt you, you probably shouldn't trade him within the division regardless of the return. Like I said though, I really don't fear McCarron. Especially with the Browns. Either way, a more reasonable price hike would be the Browns' 32nd pick. Not the 2nd pick in the entire draft. Sure, it's nice to think about, but it's not happening. 

Still, getting the 32nd overall pick for McCarron would be a major win for the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 07:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The only recent QB trades within a division (that I can recall) are Bledsoe and McNabb. McNabb was traded for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd/4th.

You wouldn't put McCarron on the same level as Bledsoe and McNabb though, would you?

If I really think about it, no I don't think there should be a price hike simply to trade within your division. If you really feel a player is going to come back and hurt you, you probably shouldn't trade him within the division regardless of the return. Like I said though, I really don't fear McCarron. Especially with the Browns. Either way, a more reasonable price hike would be the Browns' 32nd pick. Not the 2nd pick in the entire draft. Sure, it's nice to think about, but it's not happening. 

Still, getting the 32nd overall pick for McCarron would be a major win for the Bengals. 

If I was a GM and was looking at McCarron now or McNabb at that point in McNabb's career I'd go with McCarron hands down. McNabb was amazing in his prime with Philly and one of my favorites but at that point he was pretty much done. As far as Bledsoe goes I can't really speak for him I don't know enough about his career.

It's not about what I think AJ is worth though it's about how much we can squeeze out of Cleveland and Hue. It's only smart to size up your trade partner and adapt to get the most out of the deal. We know that Cleveland is a franchise that is desperate to win, They are known for making poor decisions and Hue has already shown he's willing to overpay for a QB. Add the fact we can get more because they are a division rival (whether you agree with it or not that does work in the Bengals favor.) and I think we can get a good deal for McCarron. If not with Cleveland we trade him outside the division for a cheaper cost.

For the record I don't believe Hue or McCarron can save the Browns. I'm open to the idea I can be wrong though and why trade McCarron to a division opponent unless you get a hell of a deal? If they were to end up making the Browns a competitor we could be paying for it for years.
Reply/Quote
Trade AJ and then get him as a bargain basement FA when the Browns give up on him as always!
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 07:16 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: 1. If I was a GM and was looking at McCarron now or McNabb at that point in McNabb's career I'd go with McCarron hands down. McNabb was amazing in his prime with Philly and one of my favorites but at that point he was pretty much done. As far as Bledsoe goes I can't really speak for him I don't know enough about his career.

2. It's not about what I think AJ is worth though it's about how much we can squeeze out of Cleveland and Hue. It's only smart to size up your trade partner and adapt to get the most out of the deal. We know that Cleveland is a franchise that is desperate to win, They are known for making poor decisions and Hue has already shown he's willing to overpay for a QB. Add the fact we can get more because they are a division rival (whether you agree with it or not that does work in the Bengals favor.) and I think we can get a good deal for McCarron. If not with Cleveland we trade him outside the division for a cheaper cost.

3. For the record I don't believe Hue or McCarron can save the Browns. I'm open to the idea I can be wrong though and why trade McCarron to a division opponent unless you get a hell of a deal? If they were to end up making the Browns a competitor we could be paying for it for years.

1. You're looking at McNabb with the benefit of hindsight. No one thought McNabb was done after the 2009 season. Many thought the Eagles were foolish to trade him within the division. He had a 92.9 rating with 22 TDs to 10 INTs in 2009. It was on par with any other season of his career. The value he got in trade (at 33 years old) shows that the Skins didn't think he was done either.

2. Hey, if we can get the 2nd overall pick out of Cleveland, by all means I hope we try. Maybe they really want to emulate the Bengals (who could blame them?) and will be desperate to land McCarron to go with Hue. I'm just saying I don't think it's likely that the price will go that high. I'd be interested to see how many times - in NFL history - that the 2nd overall pick has been traded for a player, straight up. The Browns can be desperate and maybe a little dumb, but I wouldn't count on them being THAT dumb.

3. Are you saying you'd only give McCarron up for the 2nd overall pick? I think the 32nd overall pick would also be a hell of a deal. Heck I think a 3rd + a good player would be a really good deal. Honestly, it all depends on how the Bengals and Browns value McCarron. We as fans have a tendency to overvalue (or occasionally undervalue) players. There's so many variables. Who knows how the Bengals value McCarron, but on paper I think getting the 32nd overall pick for a 2014 5th rounder is an amazing return.
Reply/Quote

And we would be dumb to take a 2nd round pick who could be a franchise QB
Some if these trades like Favre will executed long before Favre had taken one regular season snap so very misleading

Give us Gordon a 4 th in 2017and a 3rd round then we are closer
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
You just don't trade within you division, especially when it'll make thier team better. It's just nit smart management.
[Image: 52393749789596023645410.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. You're looking at McNabb with the benefit of hindsight. No one thought McNabb was done after the 2009 season. Many thought the Eagles were foolish to trade him within the division. He had a 92.9 rating with 22 TDs to 10 INTs in 2009. It was on par with any other season of his career. The value he got in trade (at 33 years old) shows that the Skins didn't think he was done either.

2. Hey, if we can get the 2nd overall pick out of Cleveland, by all means I hope we try. Maybe they really want to emulate the Bengals (who could blame them?) and will be desperate to land McCarron to go with Hue. I'm just saying I don't think it's likely that the price will go that high. I'd be interested to see how many times - in NFL history - that the 2nd overall pick has been traded for a player, straight up. The Browns can be desperate and maybe a little dumb, but I wouldn't count on them being THAT dumb.

3. Are you saying you'd only give McCarron up for the 2nd overall pick? I think the 32nd overall pick would also be a hell of a deal. Heck I think a 3rd + a good player would be a really good deal. Honestly, it all depends on how the Bengals and Browns value McCarron. We as fans have a tendency to overvalue (or occasionally undervalue) players. There's so many variables. Who knows how the Bengals value McCarron, but on paper I think getting the 32nd overall pick for a 2014 5th rounder is an amazing return.

I would trade McCarron for Alex Mack straight up.
Reply/Quote