Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Game
1st GREAT win!

It's just interesting to me that with an injured QB that they go out there and have him throw it 50+ times. (49 throws and 2 sacks).

And we ran it 23 times. (Mixon had his worst ypc this game as he was above 4 ypc in his previous games.)

It kind of shows why we struggle vs the AFC North, but do well against other teams. The Rams, outside of Donald...have a mediocre pass rush. The teams in the AFC North all have great pass rushes, so if you drop back 50 times...you're going to get sacked more than twice.

But, there will be games where we need to be balanced. Why do you think we don't run more?
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna think and hope that we are just trying to keep Mixon (28 years old or will be relatively soon) fresh for down the stretch.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 1st GREAT win!

It's just interesting to me that with an injured QB that they go out there and have him throw it 50+ times. (49 throws and 2 sacks).

And we ran it 23 times. (Mixon had his worst ypc this game as he was above 4 ypc in his previous games.)

It kind of shows why we struggle vs the AFC North, but do well against other teams. The Rams, outside of Donald...have a mediocre pass rush. The teams in the AFC North all have great pass rushes, so if you drop back 50 times...you're going to get sacked more than twice.

But, there will be games where we need to be balanced. Why do you think we don't run more?

We are not designed to be run heavy or even balanced.  It's obvious, but it is what it is...

I thought Mixon had a very solid game, his last few runs were to kill clock vs stacked lines & run blitzes, all negative results.  Removing those he still isnt at 4.0 but he looks a ton better than most of last year.

Reply/Quote
May be if we did a few plays under center instead of shot gun the defender might not see what is coming. Our run plays out of the shot gun looked limited. Also, play action might help. Hard to sell in shot gun.
Reply/Quote
I've said this in other threads...I think Burrow checks out of a shit load of run plays.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:25 AM)chopperbobby Wrote: May be if we did a few plays under center instead of shot gun the defender might not see what is coming.  Our run plays out of the shot gun looked limited.  Also, play action might help.  Hard to sell in shot gun.

We cant go under center yet.  This is obvious & they want to but we cant yet.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:25 AM)chopperbobby Wrote: May be if we did a few plays under center instead of shot gun the defender might not see what is coming.  Our run plays out of the shot gun looked limited.  Also, play action might help.  Hard to sell in shot gun.

They mentioned during the broadcast they don't want him under center because of the hard plant required on dropbacks. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:20 AM)casear2727 Wrote: We are not designed to be run heavy or even balanced.  It's obvious, but it is what it is...

I thought Mixon had a very solid game, his last few runs were to kill clock vs stacked lines & run blitzes, all negative results.  Removing those he still isnt at 4.0 but he looks a ton better than most of last year.

He close to 5 YPC at one point according to a screen graphic. What did he wind up with?

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:20 AM)casear2727 Wrote: We are not designed to be run heavy or even balanced.  It's obvious, but it is what it is...

Interestingly, the offensive line is a better run blocking line than a pass blocking line.

But, it's harder to run out of shotgun.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:27 AM)casear2727 Wrote: We cant go under center yet.  This is obvious & they want to but we cant yet.

What they did last year, particularly at the start of the year was run under center and pass out of shotgun...which created major issues as the defense knew what was coming.
Reply/Quote
Oline was getting kind of gased towards the end there and as usual Donald was giving Volson fits, but Donald is kind of unique in that way..I think Mixon's been doing his job. Right up till the last series of clock killing runs even when he was stopped behind the line of scrimage he was diving back to the line.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: He close to 5 YPC at one point according to a screen graphic. What did he wind up with?

Mark my words...... Chase Brown is a way better running back than Joe Mixon. Cut the slack and save money next year. Use that $$ to upgrade Volson which is horrible.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I've said this in other threads...I think Burrow checks out of a shit load of run plays.

Looks like you thought right.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gameday/zac-taylor-on-joe-burrows-passing-workload-a-lot-of-run-pass-options-involved-in-that

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 10:05 AM)Jungle1 Wrote: Mark my words...... Chase Brown is a way better running back than Joe Mixon. Cut the slack and save money next year. Use that $$ to upgrade Volson which is horrible.

I'm all for it.  Rock On

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:56 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: He close to 5 YPC at one point according to a screen graphic. What did he wind up with?

Reply/Quote
100% healthy, 50% healthy, playing on one leg…it doesn’t matter. Zac has shown throughout the past few years that Burrow is his ride or die.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 11:05 AM)casear2727 Wrote: 3.4

Ouch. 

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:27 AM)casear2727 Wrote: We cant go under center yet.  This is obvious & they want to but we cant yet.

we stopped going under center pretty much last year.. but this is another reason the offense is so limited with Burrow being limited maybe too limiting.. this offense is in trouble with better defenses on our schedule...
Reply/Quote

I would bring in a rookie RB next year (either 1st, 2nd or 3rd round) and let him learn behind Mixon but work towards

the rookie getting more carries as the season goes on.

Mixon is more of a Power back at this stage of his career. After contact by a Big man or two men he can still go forward

a yard or 2. He has lost some of his speed but I am glad he is here for 2023.

Mixon at age 21    6 foot and ¾ tall  228 pounds   4.45 forty                  

Samaje Perine at his combine 5 foot 10 and 5/8   233 pounds  4.65 forty

The Bengals may go for a Power replacement for Mixon or go for speed or luck out and find both in a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:19 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

I would bring in a rookie RB next year (either 1st, 2nd or 3rd round) and let him learn behind Mixon but work towards

the rookie getting more carries as the season goes on.

Mixon is more of a Power back at this stage of his career. After contact by a Big man or two men he can still go forward

a yard or 2. He has lost some of his speed but I am glad he is here for 2023.

Mixon at age 21    6 foot and ¾ tall  228 pounds   4.45 forty                  

Samaje Perine at his combine 5 foot 10 and 5/8   233 pounds  4.65 forty

The Bengals may go for a Power replacement for Mixon or go for speed or luck out and find both in a rookie.

They drafted a RB just this year, he currently is a rookie.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote