Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running game/Joe Mixon, what's up?
WE all know our running game has, well, sucked. Not a news flash. We're 26th in rushing yards - 358, 31st in yards per carry - 3.1, tied with three other teams for 32nd in TD's with 1, and 27th in rushes for 1st downs with - 18.

Again, we all know the Oline hasn't been playing All World. But I don't believe it's all their fault. So I decided to watch the Jets game again just to see what I could see?

I was watching for Joe Mixon tipping run plays with having his hands on knees for run plays and not for pass plays. And there's probably some truth to that. There were a couple pass plays where he did have hands on knees but his stance wasn't as knees bent and leaning forward as most of the rushing plays.

But the other biggie I noticed is an indictment on Both Joe's! More often than not neither one is selling the play action pass and or true handoff at all. I mean:

Play action pass - Joe Mixon comes up and puts his arms/hands into the taking a handoff position and then does little to nothing to sell it's a run. Not really lowering head and leaving arms in the "I have the football position" bursting downfield. A step after the fake handoff everybody in the stadium knows he doesn't have the ball!

Real handoff - Joe Burrow hands ball off and just stands there with very little to no (mostly no) attempt to deceive anybody that he still has the ball. Again, as soon as Joe hands ball off everybody in the stadium (on every play) knows Burrow handed it off.

I went back on several plays and specifically watched the LBers reactions to plays and like 95% of the time no matter what the play was they weren't fooled, AT ALL.

I think there's an element here we're they've both been kinda phoning it in. And it's not helping anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Or running game haha? How the hell do you edit the title?
Reply/Quote
*sees thread title*

[Image: 10wz25.jpg]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought this thread would be about DeShaun Watson
Reply/Quote
It's early so it does look a little raw...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Joe has run like a ***** this year. I'll say it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon. Rubbing game.

Ima sit this one out. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 02:59 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I thought this thread would be about DeShaun Watson

Beat me to it lol
Reply/Quote
rubbing game's working just fine, homie
Reply/Quote
There is something wrong with anyone who clicked on this thread after reading that title…
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 02:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Or running game haha? How the hell do you edit the title?

You should be able to edit the title by going to your OP, click edit, then choose full edit from the options.  Then on the edit page at the top is the field to edit the subject. 

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 02:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Or running game haha? How the hell do you edit the title?

Well, got me to look at the thread just out of curiosity to find out what is the rubbing game. 
Reply/Quote
OKay

Now back to football Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I thought this was a Fred thread based on the title...

I've only been able to watch one full game this year, and it was last Thursday. I saw two things happen more than once that game.

The most consistent was that Joe was getting hit early, backfield or just a wall of defenders and no place to go. Especially those backfield hits before you have momentum built are hard to shake off down after down.

The other thing I saw was Mixon not hitting the hole at all. It happened once by the goal line, and I believe a couple other times as well where the line shifted but he cut the wrong way. I don't know if that's because he's conditioning his mind that he's running into bodies instead of space. Or from his ankle not being 100% to cut properly, or his head is just out of joint.

It is definitely frustrating when you don't feel they even have a chance of getting that ball moving through the rush "attack."
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 03:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe has run like a ***** this year. I'll say it.

Oh that's for sure part of it IMO
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 03:39 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I thought this was a Fred thread based on the title...

I've only been able to watch one full game this year, and it was last Thursday.  I saw two things happen more than once that game.  

The most consistent was that Joe was getting hit early, backfield or just a wall of defenders and no place to go.  Especially those backfield hits before you have momentum built are hard to shake off down after down.  

The other thing I saw was Mixon not hitting the hole at all.  It happened once by the goal line, and I believe a couple other times as well where the line shifted but he cut the wrong way.  I don't know if that's because he's conditioning his mind that he's running into bodies instead of space.  Or from his ankle not being 100% to cut properly, or his head is just out of joint.  

It is definitely frustrating when you don't feel they even have a chance of getting that ball moving through the rush "attack."

I think part of the problem is Mixon is trying to hit a homerun on every running play. He's waiting, dancing, hoping the parting of the Red Sea is coming and he'll be able to run untouched all the way to the endzone.

Instead of just taking what's being given, 5 yards or whatever?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 03:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think part of the problem is Mixon is trying to hit a homerun on every running play. He's waiting, dancing, hoping the parting of the Red Sea is coming and he'll be able to run untouched all the way to the endzone.

Certainly could be part of it from a head-game aspect.  He's got to be a little impatient with the pressure.  In the first couple of games from being down and trying to come back (Burrow even alluded to that from a passing perspective in the post-game interview), and then just not finding his rhythm in the two wins, either.  
Reply/Quote
I said a week or two ago, what does Joe Mixon do above average? Vision, speed, strength, ability to break tackles, catch, pass protect....does he do any singular one of those things at an elite level? Maybe the argument is he does a couple slightly above average but at the end of the day I just don't think he is a large improvement over any other back in the league.

With great blocking he could be a good back. In reality, analytics tell us that most running success is a function of blocking. What separates great backs from average ones is how they can create for themselves. Joe Mixon can't create for himself and so at this point we are limited by the blocking he, or any back we put out there, gets.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 03:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think part of the problem is Mixon is trying to hit a homerun on every running play. He's waiting, dancing, hoping the parting of the Red Sea is coming and he'll be able to run untouched all the way to the endzone.

I agree and said that he's trying to get 10 yards before he's even gotten 1 yard. I'm certainly not an OL coach/OC but I've seen a few photos of OL creating a hole and even getting to the 2nd level only to see Mixon not following and cutting inside or outside with nothing.

Call it frustration, lack of instincts, selfishness, etc. but it better improve and, imo, it's not taking the Dusty Baker approach with the Reds and letting Jonny Gomes fight thru a 2-48 streak. Get Perrine some carries as a change of tempo.change of pace early in the game.
Reply/Quote

I agree and said that he's trying to get 10 yards before he's even gotten 1 yard. I'm certainly not an OL coach/OC but I've seen a few photos of OL creating a hole and even getting to the 2nd level only to see Mixon not following and cutting inside or outside with nothing.

Call it frustration, lack of instincts, selfishness, etc. but it better improve and, imo, it's not taking the Dusty Baker approach with the Reds and letting Jonny Gomes fight thru a 2-48 streak. Get Perrine some carries as a change of tempo.change of pace early in the game.
Reply/Quote