Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS: Trump military trans ban can continue during appeals process
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supreme-court-enforcement-trump-military-transgender-ban-appeals/story?id=60541370

The vote was 5-4 along partisan lines to put a stay on a lower court order that halted the ban while the appeals continued. As a result, the administration will be able to start their transgender ban back up as the Administration appeals the lower court ruling.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-22-2019, 12:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supreme-court-enforcement-trump-military-transgender-ban-appeals/story?id=60541370

The vote was 5-4 along partisan lines to put a stay on a lower court order that halted the ban while the appeals continued. As a result, the administration will be able to start their transgender ban back up as the Administration appeals the lower court ruling.

Did they give any reason?  I heard about the vote but not the why.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The answer to all the problems with who can or can't be where and in which bathroom? Go full genderless in the military. Unisex bathroom, shower, haircuts, standards, selective service (or just get rid of selective service). Everyone is equal.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(01-22-2019, 12:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supreme-court-enforcement-trump-military-transgender-ban-appeals/story?id=60541370

Presidents make a difference.
I'm sorta torn on this one. I feel anyone that wants to serve should be able to do so; however, we disqualify folks everyday for medical or psychological reasons.

Do folks here consider transgender to be medical or psychological?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-22-2019, 06:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm sorta torn on this one. I feel anyone that wants to serve should be able to do so; however, we disqualify folks everyday for medical or psychological reasons.

Do folks here consider transgender to be medical or psychological?

I think that's only relevant if you're trying to box it in as a disorder or a problem. Which, you can narrow most things down to some sort of psychological or physiological result.
(01-22-2019, 06:35 PM)Benton Wrote: I think that's only relevant if you're trying to box it in as a disorder or a problem. Which, you can narrow most things down to some sort of psychological or physiological result.

Soldiers have to be qualified PULHES. Basically your body and mind.It is "narrowed down" by DODMERB.

(01-22-2019, 07:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Soldiers have to be qualified PULHES. Basically your body and mind.It is "narrowed down" by DODMERB.

I'm not sure where transgender is relevant, unless it somehow impacts the person's physical ability (ie, taking hormones causes the person to gain weight).
(01-22-2019, 07:11 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm not sure where transgender is relevant, unless it somehow impacts the person's physical ability (ie, taking hormones causes the person to gain weight).

Everything on your body and in your mind is relevant.

As I said I'm torn on the decision, but it has to be classified. I don't know why anyone would fight against this. 

We ask have you ever thought about suicide: should that be allowed? 

(01-22-2019, 07:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Everything on your body and in your mind is relevant.

But not everything disqualifies you.  Lefthanded Muslims are allowed in same as "normal" people.

The question is why should transgender disqualify a person from military duty.
(01-22-2019, 07:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But not everything disqualifies you.  Lefthanded Muslims are allowed in same as "normal" people.

The question is why should transgender disqualify a person from military duty.

I'm not saying it should. But it has to be classified. For instance I know a Soldier is both Lefthanded and a Muslim .

Belief it or not. Race is relevant.

(01-22-2019, 07:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not saying it should. But it has to be classified. 

Biological sex would be physical.  Transgender would be psychological (gender dysphoria) unless post op.
(01-22-2019, 07:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not saying it should. But it has to be classified. For instance I know a Soldier is both Lefthanded and a Muslim .

Belief it or not. Race is relevant.

Why?
(01-22-2019, 07:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Biological sex would be physical.  Transgender would be psychological (gender dysphoria) unless post op.
This is exactly as I see it.  Of course I could see it being physical once you started medical therapy.

(01-22-2019, 08:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: Why?

You'd have to ask the medical professionals, but I doubt they'd tell you; the whole HIPPA thing is kinda hard to get around. My thoughts are perhaps because of blood cell abnormalities such as sickle cell or anemia. Of course I'm just speculating. 

(01-22-2019, 08:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You'd have to ask the medical professionals, but I doubt they'd tell you; the whole HIPPA thing is kinda hard to get around. My thoughts are perhaps because of blood cell abnormalities such as sickle cell or anemia. Of course I'm just speculating. 

That would just fall under disease I guess.  I can see the military rejecting someone who was sick.  Just that "race" was an odd aspect.
(01-22-2019, 08:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: That would just fall under disease I guess.  I can see the military rejecting someone who was sick.  Just that "race" was an odd aspect.

Not everyone knows they have a disease before they submit an exam. Perhaps different test are ran based on trends of disease. I suppose if anyone were offended by the question they could choose other, but I don't know why anyone would do that. 

(01-22-2019, 12:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: Did they give any reason?  I heard about the vote but not the why.

This wasn't an opinion, just an order. This is all you get with orders: https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/012219zor_8759.pdf
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-22-2019, 06:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do folks here consider transgender to be medical or psychological?

I need more to answer this question. Are you asking if someone identifying as transgender is "medical or psychological" or are you asking if the dysphoria that some transgender folks experience is "medical or psychological"?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-22-2019, 10:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I need more to answer this question. Are you asking if someone identifying as transgender is "medical or psychological" or are you asking if the dysphoria that some transgender folks experience is "medical or psychological"?

Hell everybody feels dysphoria at one point or another in their lives. I speak strictly about someone identifying as Transgender. More specifically the 3 different levels:

Simply identifying

Hormonal/drug treatments

Surgical proceedure