Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS orders thrice-divorced KY county clerk to issue marriage license
(09-04-2015, 12:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh now it's all Republicans and not just those on this board. 

I guess it's somehow my fault that you (and your buds) imagined my post to say "pro-police, law and order Republicans who are posting on this thread on this board". Feel free to read the quote again to see if this hallucination continues.
(09-04-2015, 12:27 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: I guess it's somehow my fault that you (and your buds) imagined my post to say "pro-police, law and order Republicans who are posting on this thread on this board". Feel free to read the quote again to see if this hallucination continues.

A'ight then I misunderstood.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: H7KVvdZ.jpg]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-04-2015, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This assertion of considering him dumb was not directed at you; as I am sure you are aware that he is quite brilliant.

I honestly am not familiar with his AG record, but anyone who was a SCOTUS clerk must be a very intelligent person. He's a very calculating politician, I'll give him that. He's working this situation perfectly for his base.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Husband #4

[Image: JoeDavis2-660x330.jpg]

(09-04-2015, 07:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Husband #4

[Image: JoeDavis2-660x330.jpg]

I don't get it, is he about to go to town on that nervous looking man next to him?
Anyone that does something like that isn't going to be "normal" in the traditional sense of the word.

Think about it. What social issue or belief would you be willing to go to jail over? Probably a pretty short list and I don't think you are going to find marriage on too many people's list. I don't think it would be right for someone to marry a frog for instance or for someone to have 15 wives. I am not confining myself to a 8 by 10 foot cell as a means of protest though. That's where I draw the line. I like waking up in my own bed in the morning too much.

For this woman though it was on the list and I guarantee if you sat down and talked to her you're going to hear a person with some very unique views of the world and not just as it relates to gay marriage.

I'm not expecting her to be able to see her own hypocrisy in all of this. Of course she could just quit and find another job that didn't deal with this which is what I think most rationale people would do if that had that much of a problem with it, or just remind herself of the fact that its the state marrying these people and not her. All she does is fill out a form, which by the way 80K for basically being a paper pusher? Any other jobs like that around, because I can start tomorrow if they're looking to replace her. Maybe that's what's why she didn't just up and quit, because I wouldn't give up a job that cushy that pays that much either.

But back to the main point. Her issue isn't that she has to give out marriage licenses to gay people. Her issue is that gay people can get marriage licenses at all. The religious freedom argument was invented because I don't like this wasn't good enough on its own anymore.

Nobody is being stripped of their religious freedom in this. What's being stripped away is the freedom to persecute others under the guise of religious belief. Why its causing such an uproar is because the people who previously had that freedom, saw it as a right and up until about a few months ago it was.

As for Kim Davis, I just hope she enjoys her 15 minutes of fame in her efforts to reignite a debate up on a settled issue. She certainly succeeded in getting the attention she wanted. That's about as far as she's getting with this.
(09-04-2015, 09:57 PM)Harmening Wrote: Anyone that does something like that isn't going to be "normal" in the traditional sense of the word.

Think about it. What social issue or belief would you be willing to go to jail over? Probably a pretty short list and I don't think you are going to find marriage on too many people's list. I don't think it would be right for someone to marry a frog for instance or for someone to have 15 wives. I am not confining myself to a 8 by 10 foot cell as a means of protest though. That's where I draw the line. I like waking up in my own bed in the morning too much.

For this woman though it was on the list and I guarantee if you sat down and talked to her you're going to hear a person with some very unique views of the world and not just as it relates to gay marriage.

I almost feel bad for her. At some point, she was convinced that she can atone for her past if she persecutes those who anger her god. This isn't normal "very religious". This is "I am going to tell gay people they will face judgement and compare gay marriage to Sodom and Gomorra religious". It's "crazy person religious".

I did read today where the 3 licenses issued today are invalid because they do not have the clerk's signature.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-04-2015, 11:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I did read today where the 3 licenses issued today are invalid because they do not have the clerk's signature.

So claims the clerk and her lawyer. Rowan County attorney says they are valid.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-04-2015, 11:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So claims the clerk and her lawyer. Rowan County attorney says they are valid.

And when asked the Federal Judge said "The couples can take the chance". I will assume you've never been to Rowan County if you take the word of their attorney.

(09-04-2015, 11:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And when asked the Federal Judge said "The couples can take the chance". I will assume you've never been to Rowan County if you take the word of their attorney.

I make it a habit to avoid Kentucky altogether. Ninja

I think the federal judge avoided making a statement one way or the other since that would be a local or possibly state matter.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-05-2015, 12:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I make it a habit to avoid Kentucky altogether. Ninja

I think the federal judge avoided making a statement one way or the other since that would be a local or possibly state matter.

Why would a Federal mandate be a local or state matter? This case is actually the furthest thing from a local matter

(09-05-2015, 12:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why would a Federal mandate be a local or state matter? This case is actually the furthest thing from a local matter

The federal mandate is a federal matter, the regulations of a state's particular policies on marriage licenses are a separate matter, however. A federal judge has no authority over whether it is valid with or without the clerk's signature.

(09-05-2015, 12:21 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The federal mandate is a federal matter, the regulations of a state's particular policies on marriage licenses are a separate matter, however. A federal judge has no authority over whether it is valid with or without the clerk's signature.

Since the the federal mandate regarding same sex marriages, she is now required to sign her name on the certificate. She was not required to sign before that.

(09-04-2015, 09:57 PM)Harmening Wrote: Nobody is being stripped of their religious freedom in this. What's being stripped away is the freedom to persecute others under the guise of religious belief. Why its causing such an uproar is because the people who previously had that freedom, saw it as a right and up until about a few months ago it was.

Amen brother.
(09-04-2015, 11:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So claims the clerk and her lawyer. Rowan County attorney says they are valid.

Who gives a shit...in the end they will be ratified, and the license will stand.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(09-05-2015, 12:26 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Since the the federal mandate regarding same sex marriages, she is now required to sign her name on the certificate. She was not required to sign before that.

This is not true at all.
Lol all this over a government marriage.

The most worthless of all marriages. Just drop gov marriages and let us all go about our business.
(09-05-2015, 03:22 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol all this over a government marriage.  

The most worthless of all marriages.   Just drop gov marriages and let us all go about our business.

Lucie never had her marriage recognized with the government. She only cares that it was recognized by the king at the Florida Renaissance Festival.
[Image: renessaince-500x345.jpg]

What is confusing about the last part is that she has advocated for states being able to deny gay marriage, but she says "let us all go about our business"...