Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS orders thrice-divorced KY county clerk to issue marriage license
(09-09-2015, 11:24 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: The airline might lose it, but I don't think they should.

Serving alcoholic drinks is a key part of her job.  This would be like a deli clerk at Kroger converting to Islam and then refusing to serve any pork products. 

I don't personally see how serving a drink violates any religious beliefs regardless.  Isn't serving them different than consuming them?  I'll admit I'm not very well-versed on the Muslim faith, or any faith for that matter.

Oh, I'm sure the same people who are promoting the "freedom of religion" here would run to the defense of a Muslim who tried to pull the same thing! Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-09-2015, 11:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh, I'm sure the same people who are promoting the "freedom of religion" here would run to the defense of a Muslim who tried to pull the same thing! Ninja

Very nice!

I'm never surprised when people seem to have short term memory about their arguments and display a lot of selective outrage.
(09-09-2015, 11:24 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: The airline might lose it, but I don't think they should.

Serving alcoholic drinks is a key part of her job.  This would be like a deli clerk at Kroger converting to Islam and then refusing to serve any pork products. 

I don't personally see how serving a drink violates any religious beliefs regardless.  Isn't serving them different than consuming them?  I'll admit I'm not very well-versed on the Muslim faith, or any faith for that matter.

Yeah, there is a lot about this case that makes it interesting. I am sure she is not the only Muslim serving as an attendant, so I would like to know more about the industry standards. The one thing that makes me lean more in favor of the Muslim woman is that there was an arrangement in place that they then revoked. I'd like to see that reasoning that made them change their mind.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-10-2015, 12:11 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, there is a lot about this case that makes it interesting. I am sure she is not the only Muslim serving as an attendant, so I would like to know more about the industry standards. The one thing that makes me lean more in favor of the Muslim woman is that there was an arrangement in place that they then revoked. I'd like to see that reasoning that made them change their mind.

According to the story, they changed their mind after another attendant filed a complaint.  They didn't just complain about her not serving alcohol though...they complained about her clothing and "literature". 

I think that does make the case kind of interesting because of that.  
I'm waiting for Mike Huckabee to get on stage with the Muslim lady and talk about America's war against Muslims.
(09-10-2015, 12:17 AM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: According to the story, they changed their mind after another attendant filed a complaint.  They didn't just complain about her not serving alcohol though...they complained about her clothing and "literature". 

I think that does make the case kind of interesting because of that.  

Yeah, I saw that bit. I like to think the best of people and think that the people that made the decision did not make it based upon the prejudices of the other flight attendant. It's why I am curious about the reasoning for their revocation of the arrangement.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-10-2015, 07:41 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I saw that bit. I like to think the best of people and think that the people that made the decision did not make it based upon the prejudices of the other flight attendant. It's why I am curious about the reasoning for their revocation of the arrangement.

It sounds rather curious to me.

I just so happen to be the HR director for the company I work for, and believe this was handled rather poorly on the company's part. 

I'm still curious how serving a drink is somehow infringing on a person's religious beliefs though.  I would think serving a captain and coke is different than working at Hustler Hollywood.  
(09-06-2015, 09:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Er,  don't you have a worthless government marriage?

Yes I do. Which is why I know it's worthless.

Just because I am forced to get one does not change the fact it's worthless

We should just do away with them and let people live their lives. Write a contract.
(09-10-2015, 08:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes I do.  Which is why I know it's worthless.  

We should just do away with them and let people live their lives.   Write a contract.

You could have done that.

The government does not force you to get married or to have their worthless piece of paper.

You chose to get that worthless government marriage.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-10-2015, 12:11 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, there is a lot about this case that makes it interesting. I am sure she is not the only Muslim serving as an attendant, so I would like to know more about the industry standards. The one thing that makes me lean more in favor of the Muslim woman is that there was an arrangement in place that they then revoked. I'd like to see that reasoning that made them change their mind.

Kinda jumping in here without reading everything so forgive me if I miss a detail.  

In these service industries i am not sure where I sit on "religious garb" accommodations.   After all your projecting a look for the company.   I have a small business and I know it's not the same here but how she dresses, conducts herself is important.     What's wrong with a company maintaining a dress code and then not allowing accommodations.    

And as for the employee... If it's that big of a deal then wouldn't you want to find a place that dressed your way?  Flight attendants can work for anyone.   She could work international flights for an Arab airline of that's what she wanted to wear... I'm sure it's standard uniform there...

We don't get assigned a job. It's a choice.
(09-10-2015, 08:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: You could have done that.

The government does not force you to get married or to have their worthless piece of paper.

There are a lot of things that basically "force" couples to get married over.  Maybe "force" is a bit extreme, but you get the point.  

Tax purposes, inheritance, benefits, etc...
(09-10-2015, 08:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: You chose to get that worthless government marriage.

Sshhhh
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-10-2015, 08:40 AM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: There are a lot of things that basically "force" couples to get married over.  Maybe "force" is a bit extreme, but you get the point.  

I think this is the response he wanted from Lucie. That way Dino can then say, "Oh, so it's not worthless because it entails all of these legal benefits that you desire..."
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-10-2015, 08:40 AM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: There are a lot of things that basically "force" couples to get married over.  Maybe "force" is a bit extreme, but you get the point.  

(09-10-2015, 09:05 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think this is the response he wanted from Lucie. That way Dino can then say, "Oh, so it's not worthless because it entails all of these legal benefits that you desire..."

Honestly when I started typing that response I simply meant it literally:  He chose it.

But by the time I hit send I had the same thought you did.
(09-10-2015, 09:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: Honestly when I started typing that response I simply meant it literally:  He chose it.

But by the time I hit send I had the same thought you did.

OH BS.  Pat has been doing your thinking for you for years.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-10-2015, 09:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OH BS.  Pat has been doing your thinking for you for years.  

He's a Ravens fan...every time he posts without drooling on the keyboard I'm very proud of him. Ninja
(09-10-2015, 08:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes I do.  Which is why I know it's worthless.  

We should just do away with them and let people live their lives.   Write a contract.

LMAO

The government forced you to get married?  "Your" hilarious.

Why do you believe you were forced to get married?
(09-10-2015, 09:05 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think this is the response he wanted from Lucie. That way Dino can then say, "Oh, so it's not worthless because it entails all of these legal benefits that you desire..."

Yeah, those same worthless benefits the Jesus freak in KY denies same sex couples based upon her religious beliefs.
(09-10-2015, 08:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: You could have done that.

I had to have a government marriage my wife was not born here... So she would have had to leave and come back repeatedly.

We would have been just fine getting married in our church in front of friends, family, and our community.
(09-10-2015, 11:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I had to have a government marriage my wife was not born here... So she would have had to leave and come back repeatedly.

We would have been just fine getting married in our church in front of friends, family, and our community.

Why would you get married in front of your community, family, and friends?

Shouldn't you be keeping that shit to yourselves? Or does that only apply if you're gay?