Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devonta Smith
(01-12-2021, 03:58 PM)TheFan Wrote: I'm not saying he won't put up elite WR numbers in playing. I meant he won't be putting up elite athlete WR numbers at the combine. 

By elite WR athlete I mean elite Size/Speed (Calvin Johnson, Metcalf, Julio Jones) or super elite speed (Hill). Smith and Chase are both okay size with good speed but not amazing. That said it's about how you use those tools but they aren't going to drop any jaws at the combine. 

Regarding Chase, you can believe it was covid but almost no other big time player opted out. He had pretty much nothing possible to gain from playing and likely could have only hurt his draft stock by not playing on a stacked team like last year so to me it seems like he quit. 

Huh? Several other projected high picks opted out. Sewell, Parsons, Slater, Rousseau, Farley...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 08:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Huh? Several other projected high picks opted out. Sewell, Parsons, Slater, Rousseau, Farley...

Sorry, outside of lineman he was pretty much the only one. Basically no other good skill position players did. It makes me unhappy with the others as well and I don't think covid was actually the reason any of them sat out either. 

I'll give maybe 10% of the thought was about covid but the rest 45% fear of injury and 45% fear of a down year.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 08:19 PM)TheFan Wrote: Sorry, outside of lineman he was pretty much the only one. Basically no other good skill position players did. It makes me unhappy with the others as well and I don't think covid was actually the reason any of them sat out either. 

Ah, now we’re limiting it to just skill positions for some reason...

Farley is probably the #2 CB (skill position, no?). He cited covid as the reason.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29589910/opted-caleb-farley-explains-concerns-coronavirus

Look, I’ve been through this wIth bfine a bunch already, and we’re not going to change each other’s minds, but I flat refuse to blame any of these kids for opting out during a pandemic. There could be potential long term effects from this virus, and as an athlete that relies on my body to compete at the highest level that’s the last thing in the world I’d want to risk.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 08:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ah, now we’re limiting it to just skill positions for some reason...

Farley is probably the #2 CB (skill position, no?). He cited covid as the reason.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29589910/opted-caleb-farley-explains-concerns-coronavirus

Look, I’ve been through this wIth bfine a bunch already, and we’re not going to change each other’s minds, but I flat refuse to blame any of these kids for opting out during a pandemic. There could be potential long term effects from this virus, and as an athlete that relies on my body to compete at the highest level that’s the last thing in the world I’d want to risk.

With the amount of money these athletes are looking at gaining in the NFL I can't really blame any of them for sitting out.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 08:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ah, now we’re limiting it to just skill positions for some reason...

And I've never said I "blame" them. It's just a question they will have to answer:

"Chase, you opted out of the 2020 season, while we see the likes of Jaylen Waddle sacrificing his future just to make it back for the championship game. Why is that?"
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 02:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: And I've never said I "blame" them. It's just a question they will have to answer:

"Chase, you opted out of the 2020 season, while we see the likes of Jaylen Waddle sacrificing his future just to make it back for the championship game. Why is that?"

Maybe they’ll hear answers like this:

“Guys were going home, going to Myrtle Beach, coming back to campus, and we weren't getting tested. We're all together, working out, close to each other, and you have no real idea who might have it, if anybody might have it. One day I looked around, and we were like 100-deep in our indoor facility, no masks. My concern grew more and more."

Farley, a projected first-round NFL draft pick, said it was important to him to keep his family safe after losing his mother to breast cancer in 2018.

"I started being really conflicted about playing," Farley wrote. "What this came down to is, I lost one parent. My dad is so important to me. Growing old with him means so much to me, more than football. I don't know what I would do if I contracted it and gave it to him, and he passed. I couldn't live with that. Part of me thought, I put all my eggs into this basket since I was 6 years old ... just suck it up and play. Try to stay safe. But I couldn't ignore all the doubts in my head."

If you (or some GM) want to knock him for saying the bold have at it. Personally that seems like a kid with his priorities straight to me.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 02:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Maybe they’ll hear answers like this:

“Guys were going home, going to Myrtle Beach, coming back to campus, and we weren't getting tested. We're all together, working out, close to each other, and you have no real idea who might have it, if anybody might have it. One day I looked around, and we were like 100-deep in our indoor facility, no masks. My concern grew more and more."

Farley, a projected first-round NFL draft pick, said it was important to him to keep his family safe after losing his mother to breast cancer in 2018.

"I started being really conflicted about playing," Farley wrote. "What this came down to is, I lost one parent. My dad is so important to me. Growing old with him means so much to me, more than football. I don't know what I would do if I contracted it and gave it to him, and he passed. I couldn't live with that. Part of me thought, I put all my eggs into this basket since I was 6 years old ... just suck it up and play. Try to stay safe. But I couldn't ignore all the doubts in my head."

If you (or some GM) want to knock him for saying the bold have at it. Personally that seems like a kid with his priorities straight to me.

As I said: "It's a question they must answer". Seems your link proves that. It'll be up to those doing the interview s to determine the validity of the answer. 

But maybe Waddle doesn't like his family. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 02:39 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: "It's a question they must answer". Seems your link proves that. It'll be up to those doing the interview s to determine the validity of the answer. 

But maybe Waddle doesn't like his family. 

Yeah, that must be it.

[Image: SaneWelllitCatbird-small.gif]

Reply/Quote