Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIGN AJ GREEN!!!!!!!!
What's the hold up? This needs to be done ASAP.

With Dez Bryant signed, and now Julio Jones signed, the market has been set. And actually, I think he will come in a little lower than previously expected. I was pleasantly surprised to see those deals come in around a 14 mil average. Remember, that 3 years have passed since Calvin's deal, and he's upward of 20 mil per. I thought this new crop of deals would end up around 16-17 per. Again, I think 14 per is more than fair.

So what's the hold up? He's a free agent after this year. You've been "saving" for this deal literally his entire career (who does this?). That's all we've heard. That they can't spend now because this money is ear-marked for AJ, or that this "rollover" is for the AJ and Andy fund. Well, now the time has finally come and we're sitting with AJ playing on a 5th year option. Why?

Where is the urgency seen with Dalton? Dalton had not only another year left on his rookie deal, but we could have tagged him 2 additional years. He of course was signed after going into year 4. So why aren't we seeing that same urgency?

Let me ask you this, who has earned a new deal more: Andy Dalton or AJ Green? Who has proven to be more valuable at their respective position? Which total contract is cheaper.

I'm sure some of you will scoff at this, or shake it off as no big deal. But it doesn't make a lot of sense. I often asked "where the fire was" when they were in such a freaking hurry to get Andy locked up. I didn't get it. And I don't understand how they're not in the same rush to sign the player who you actually want long term.

Get it done!!! Now!!! The man deserves it. Pay the man his money !!! Since you've whined for years about not having money because of this upcoming free agency the least you can do is actually spend it when the time comes.

Oh, and if you actually buy the fact that AJ doesn't care, or that he has enough money, then I have some magic beans to sell you. Of course he cares, we're talking about 70 million dollars here. I for one what my star player happy. And I also want him locked up, the sooner the better.
Reply/Quote
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Reply/Quote
What was the date of Genos contract extenstion seemed it was right before the season started.
Reply/Quote
I would like to have him signed long term as well.
We knew he was going to be happening, so what are they waiting for?

Right now, Green has to worry about getting hurt this season, it would drastically affect the amount of money he could command as a FA, but if you lock him up now, then he can play this season and not worry about getting hurt cause he'd be covered.

Unless he's not going to be your man going forward, then there is no real need to not get this done now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 12:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What was the date of Genos contract extenstion seemed it was right before the season started.

Right around this time of the year, it was either the end of August or beginning of September was when Geno was extended.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 12:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What was the date of Genos contract extenstion seemed it was right before the season started.

I remember it made an episode of Hard Knocks, so it probably came a week or so before the regular season opener.

Reply/Quote

He was signed while still playing on a rookie deal.  AJ's rookie contract has already expired.  He's now playing on a 5th year option.  Had we followed the same pattern as with Geno and Andy, AJ would have been signed last season.

Oh, and I don't remember a fund being set aside for Geno.  According to the team, AJ should just have a big mile of money sitting somewhere with his name on it.  I hope they've been earning interest on it.  Afterall, some of it was set aside five years ago.
Reply/Quote
My guess is in the next week or so...Total feel good move going into the season building more good will in the locker room.

Just a guess, but we've seen it before.

Can't hurt to build the good will of the potential season ticket buyers as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 12:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What's the hold up?  This needs to be done ASAP.

With Dez Bryant signed, and now Julio Jones signed, the market has been set.  And actually, I think he will come in a little lower than previously expected.  I was pleasantly surprised to see those deals come in around a 14 mil average.  Remember, that 3 years have passed since Calvin's deal, and he's upward of 20 mil per.  I thought this new crop of deals would end up around 16-17 per.  Again, I think 14 per is more than fair.

So what's the hold up?  He's a free agent after this year.  You've been "saving" for this deal literally his entire career (who does this?).  That's all we've heard.  That they can't spend now because this money is ear-marked for AJ, or that this "rollover" is for the AJ and Andy fund.  Well, now the time has finally come and we're sitting with AJ playing on a 5th year option.  Why?

Where is the urgency seen with Dalton?  Dalton had not only another year left on his rookie deal, but we could have tagged him 2 additional years.  He of course was signed after going into year 4.  So why aren't we seeing that same urgency?

Let me ask you this, who has earned a new deal more:  Andy Dalton or AJ Green?  Who has proven to be more valuable at their respective position?  Which total contract is cheaper.

I'm sure some of you will scoff at this, or shake it off as no big deal.  But it doesn't make a lot of sense.  I often asked "where the fire was" when they were in such a freaking hurry to get Andy locked up.  I didn't get it.  And I don't understand how they're not in the same rush to sign the player who you actually want long term.

Get it done!!! Now!!!  The man deserves it. Pay the man his money !!!  Since you've whined for years about not having money because of this upcoming free agency the least you can do is actually spend it when the time comes.

Oh, and if you actually buy the fact that AJ doesn't care, or that he has enough money, then I have some magic beans to sell you.  Of course he cares, we're talking about 70 million dollars here.  I for one what my star player happy.  And I also want him locked up, the sooner the better.

I want him signed also. I also think he has the same value as Dez and no more.

My hunch is the Bengals agree with us. My hunch is AJ's camp wants more.

If you look at the numbers (production), it could be argued he deserves less than Dez.

One point is the Bengals do still have control as even though he is a free agent, they can franchise him in 2016 and also in 2017, but let's all hope both sides will agree to a new long term deal very soon. One side can't finalize a contract.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Now that Julio is done, it'll look bad for Green to go without one. Julio broke the bank tho. But they waited long and gambled that would happen. Probably scratching their head not sure what to do now. Should have made a move after the Dez deal. Now the market is reset. And they can't be happy with dealing with the Julio contract as the standard.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 12:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He was signed while still playing on a rookie deal.  AJ's rookie contract has already expired.  He's now playing on a 5th year option.  Had we followed the same pattern as with Geno and Andy, AJ would have been signed last season.

Oh, and I don't remember a fund being set aside for Geno.  According to the team, AJ should just have a big mile of money sitting somewhere with his name on it.  I hope they've been earning interest on it.  Afterall, some of it was set aside five years ago.

????????????

Only first round picks have 5th year options and an option is indeed a part of the rookie contract...........FYI

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think Green will get done. It all comes down to the guarantee. I think the yearly isn't an issue it is how much the club is willing to cough up front in signing bonus and overall guarantee. Maybe they try going a year shorter to save on guaranteed? I bet it gets done, but still I don't worry if it doesn't. He doesn't seem to be a malcontent and we still hold the leverage of a tag.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 01:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ????????????

Only first round picks have 5th year options and an option is indeed a part of the rookie contract...........FYI

Yes but it looks a lot worse on the franchise if you say it like he did.
Reply/Quote
Any day now... *crosses fingers*
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 01:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Now that Julio is done, it'll look bad for Green to go without one. Julio broke the bank tho. But they waited long and gambled that would happen. Probably scratching their head not sure what to do now. Should have made a move after the Dez deal. Now the market is reset. And they can't be happy with dealing with the Julio contract as the standard.

Julio's deal is almost identical to Dez's Bryant's though.

Bryant - 5 years  70 mill, with 45 mil of it guaranteed.
Jones - 5 years 71.25 mil, with 47 mil of it guaranteed.

Am I missing something in the details, like incentives or something?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 01:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Julio's deal is almost identical to Dez's Bryant's though.

Bryant - 5 years  70 mill, with 45 mil of it guaranteed.
Jones - 5 years 71.25 mil, with 47 mil of it guaranteed.

Am I missing something in the details, like incentives or something?

You are missing the upfront bonus money or any incentives, but the other numbers look correct based on what was reported (not confirmed yet)

Reply/Quote
It's gonna happen before the season starts.

Give a reason why it won't.
Reply/Quote
Fwiw, I think it's very easy to argue that not only is AJ the safest of these 3 players, but he deserves the contract the most.

Remember, Dez Bryant wasn't that good his first two years. And as good as Dez has been recently, believe or not, AJ's career high in yards is still better than Dez's career high. And Dez has ton of character concerns. (See sideline antics, rumored tape beating his mom, etc.) AJ not only has better numbers, but he's been more stable thus far in his career.

Julio Jones has missed time in 3 of his 4 years. AJ has more receptions, yards, and TD's. And we drafted him ahead of Jones, so clearly we scouted him higher.

AJ simply does have the character concerns that Dez does, or the injury history that Jones does. And he has beter averages than both. He's been more consistent.

If any team of these 3 teams should feel the most confident about what they're getting in return for a mega deal it should be us. There is no excuse to not want to get this done right now. And I can all but guarantee that AJ's camp is ultimately looking to paid in line with these caliber of players:

D Bryant - 5 years 70 mil, 45 guaranteed.
J Jones - 5 years 71 mil, 47 mil guaranteed.
D Thomas - 5 years 70 mil, 43 mil guaranteed.

The market is set. And our own AJ Green, the man who has a fund named after him, is the only one left without a deal. If he goes into the season that way then that looks bad. Real bad. IMO the only hold up could be either us low balling him or wanting to save the coin for this year, which would be a huge slap in the face to AJ.

The numbers are all right there. We have the money. I can't even begin to imagine the stress of playing such a violent game, with the potential for 70 mil dollars left up in the air. And I can't imagine how I would feel if many of peers in my line of work were rewarded before me, when I'm in the same class of an employee and have been more reliable. Let's just hope our boy AJ gets what he's due and we can finally release a collective sigh of relief that 5 year old money has finally be spent.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 01:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, I think it's very easy to argue that not only is AJ the safest of these 3 players, but he deserves the contract the most.

Which is why he is probably taking the longest. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 01:34 PM)Stormborn Wrote: It's gonna happen before the season starts.

Give a reason why it won't.

[Image: mike_484x480.jpg]
Reply/Quote