Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIGN AJ GREEN!!!!!!!!
(09-10-2015, 03:55 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Stunning, shocking, right guys......by all means, though, continue the nonsense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/18909/bengals-aj-green-contract-extension-closing-in

Again, why is it nonsense to bother wonder and discuss why his deal isn't done yet?  I don't get it.  What's wrong with talking and speculating about a potential contract?

Look at the title of this thread. If the article you linked is true wouldn't they be doing just that? How exactly is it not relevant?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 05:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You say that like it's a fact.  Care to share where you've heard this?  Or are you just making things up and pretending they're true?

You mean like everything you post in here?
Oh okay....

Because it's been reported for awhile he wanted more. 

I can't help it for some ungodly reason you can't understand how a contract negotiation works. 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 05:10 PM)RoyleRedleg Wrote: Because it's been reported for awhile he wanted more. 

Where?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 05:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Where?

Look it up. Why do you think it's taking longer?

The consensus is that the one thing that's held up things is guaranteed money, we don't usually hand it over like other teams, probably want to distribute it in a different way.

That wasn't made up, it's what everyone whose reported it to a nature has said.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 05:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Where?

For a guy who started a thread about his own bullshit conjecture, you ask for a ton of sources. 
Reply/Quote
Look. This team has about 1% chance to let Green walk. Its not going to happen so why bother even worrying about it ? He wants and will receive a better contract that Julio Jones because the market demands it. The devil is in the details at this point, but we are already hearing they may sign him today.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Paul & I just had part of this conversation. You'll notice we're not writing a story just to say 'they're close' or 'they're talking.' That's soft, click-bait language in my opinion that offers nothing new. They've been talking since Thomas and Bryant signed in July. Paul laid out the likely contract back then (Green would want more annually). Nothing was done. Jones deal changed it a little (a little), and it's heated up again with a deadline of tomorrow late afternoon.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/10/bengals-and-a-j-green-are-talking-but-theyre-not-close/

According to PFT it's primarily guaranteed money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 06:05 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Paul & I just had part of this conversation. You'll notice we're not writing a story just to say 'they're close' or 'they're talking.' That's soft, click-bait language in my opinion that offers nothing new. They've been talking since Thomas and Bryant signed in July. Paul laid out the likely contract back then (Green would want more annually). Nothing was done. Jones deal changed it a little (a little), and it's heated up again with a deadline of tomorrow late afternoon.

Yeah but if you listen to Wes and others, it's all over because he wasn't the first one done, and no offense Jim, he probably knows more than you 
Reply/Quote
No way Dogra was going to let his client be the first one done -- especially since he didn't have the threat of the franchise tag over him this year like Thomas and Bryant. Common knowledge that the first one done gets the least amount of money, the last one gets the most. It's playing out that way, at least annually. I had to laugh - you'll see soon we'll have an update on this from today's events, but I've got some firmer language in there vs. just what the headline says.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 06:05 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Paul & I just had part of this conversation. You'll notice we're not writing a story just to say 'they're close' or 'they're talking.' That's soft, click-bait language in my opinion that offers nothing new. They've been talking since Thomas and Bryant signed in July. Paul laid out the likely contract back then (Green would want more annually). Nothing was done. Jones deal changed it a little (a little), and it's heated up again with a deadline of tomorrow late afternoon.

I'm thinking AJ's headed for the franchise tag next year.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have the next 2 days to get a deal signed.

If nothing is signed by kickoff on Sunday, I'd say table it until next off season.

There's very little incentive to sign him long term now anyway, as we still have a lot of unknowns.

In addition, with Sanu and Jones set for free agency next year, signing Green now would essentially be a nail in their coffins for this team.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to see if Jones can hold up for the entire season, see how Eifert does, and re-evaluate the offense's requirement for keeping Green.

He is one of the best receivers in the league, but having Eifert, Sanu and Jones locked up long term would probably be more beneficial than having just AJ Green. (yes, Eifert is a free agent in 2017, but its never too early to think about his impact as well.)

I don't know the exact financial implications of those 4 players, but I know if given the choice between Green or the other 3, I'd take the other 3 every time, assuming they can stay healthy through this season.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 11:44 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Bengals have the next 2 days to get a deal signed.

If nothing is signed by kickoff on Sunday, I'd say table it until next off season.

There's very little incentive to sign him long term now anyway, as we still have a lot of unknowns.

In addition, with Sanu and Jones set for free agency next year, signing Green now would essentially be a nail in their coffins for this team.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to see if Jones can hold up for the entire season, see how Eifert does, and re-evaluate the offense's requirement for keeping Green.

He is one of the best receivers in the league, but having Eifert, Sanu and Jones locked up long term would probably be more beneficial than having just AJ Green. (yes, Eifert is a free agent in 2017, but its never too early to think about his impact as well.)

I don't know the exact financial implications of those 4 players, but I know if given the choice between Green or the other 3, I'd take the other 3 every time, assuming they can stay healthy through this season.

I think you are highly overestimating how much Sanu and Jones will get paid. I doubt they will get over 4 mil a year.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 11:51 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think you are highly overestimating how much Sanu and Jones will get paid. I doubt they will get over 4 mil a year.

Right.  It doesn't automatically have to be a choice of one or the other.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 11:51 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think you are highly overestimating how much Sanu and Jones will get paid. I doubt they will get over 4 mil a year.

If MLJ has a great season for a #2, he could be overpaid by another team.

Sanu shouldn't be used a whole lot this year so his production won't warrant a huge contract. I could see us wrapping him up with something like 3 years/$9-12 million next offseason.

Assuming MLJ has a good year, I envision them letting him walk, and then having A.J. at WR1 with a 5 year extension, rookie (1-3 round) at WR2, and Sanu in the slot with a 3 year contract.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 11:58 AM)djs7685 Wrote: If MLJ has a great season for a #2, he could be overpaid by another team.

Sanu shouldn't be used a whole lot this year so his production won't warrant a huge contract. I could see us wrapping him up with something like 3 years/$9-12 million next offseason.

Assuming MLJ has a good year, I envision them letting him walk, and then having A.J. at WR1 with a 5 year extension, rookie (1-3 round) at WR2, and Sanu in the slot with a 3 year contract.

Jones has had an injury problem so far in his career. He had a foot injury his rookie year too. Most solid #2s only get around 4 mil a year. Jones will have to do a LOT of work this year to get over 4 mil a year. If Jones walks then we have to get another WR in the draft, or free agency. Sanu wouldn't be that great of a #2. Just for reference Golden Tate only gets paid a little over 6 mil a year (on average), and he's a lot better than Jones.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 12:07 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Jones has had an injury problem so far in his career. He had a foot injury his rookie year too. Most solid #2s only get around 4 mil a year. Jones will have to do a LOT of work this year to get over 4 mil a year. If Jones walks then we have to get another WR in the draft, or free agency. Sanu wouldn't be that great of a #2.

I agree with you.  I think many of us hold Jones in very high regard because of the potential we see.  Granted he had 10 touchdowns in 2013, but four of those came in one game.  Even in that "breakout" year, he only had 700 yards.  He has played in 27 games in three years.  Unless he absolutely lights it up this year, which I hope he does, I don't see him getting huge money on the free agent market.  It is also not that difficult to find a quality number two receiver in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 12:07 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Jones has had an injury problem so far in his career. He had a foot injury his rookie year too. Most solid #2s only get around 4 mil a year. Jones will have to do a LOT of work this year to get over 4 mil a year. If Jones walks then we have to get another WR in the draft, or free agency. Sanu wouldn't be that great of a #2. Just for reference Golden Tate only gets paid a little over 6 mil a year (on average), and he's a lot better than Jones.

Yeah I agree that we'd have to get another WR, in my example I used a high round draft pick because I don't like Sanu as #2 either. He's a slot guy, and I think we can retain him for a reasonable price and the team will at least try to lock Sanu up IMO.

Your Golden Tate example is interesting, and here is what got him $6.2 million per year....

Year 1 - 21 rec, 227 yards, 0 TD
Year 2 - 35 rec, 382 yards, 3 TD
Year 3 - 45 rec, 688 yards, 7 TD
Year 4 - 64 rec, 898 yards, 5 TD

Marvin Jones

Year 1 - 18 rec, 201 yards, 1 TD
Year 2 - 51 rec, 712 yards, 10 TD
Year 3 - injured
Year 4 - ?????

Let's say he hypothetically hits 60 receptions, 800 yards, and 5 TDs this year.

Is it really unbelievable that a team would pay him more than $4 million per? I dunno man, looking at what happened with Golden Tate, I'm not sure if it's out of the realm of possibility. That's IF he hits that kind of production of course. He would obviously be much cheaper to retain if he doesn't have a big year for a #2.
Reply/Quote
It happens all the time.

We overestimate the worth of our guys cause we are fans... period.

Pretty much all guys hitting the pavement next year besides Iloka and Green will be small 1-3 year contract guys.

The only way MLJ walks is if he has another 10 TD season I could see a FA reaching team spending top dollar on a injury risk player.

guys like Sanu can be had back easily.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 12:23 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Yeah I agree that we'd have to get another WR, in my example I used a high round draft pick because I don't like Sanu as #2 either. He's a slot guy, and I think we can retain him for a reasonable price and the team will at least try to lock Sanu up IMO.

Your Golden Tate example is interesting, and here is what got him $6.2 million per year....

Year 1 - 21 rec, 227 yards, 0 TD
Year 2 - 35 rec, 382 yards, 3 TD
Year 3 - 45 rec, 688 yards, 7 TD
Year 4 - 64 rec, 898 yards, 5 TD

Marvin Jones

Year 1 - 18 rec, 201 yards, 1 TD
Year 2 - 51 rec, 712 yards, 10 TD
Year 3 - injured
Year 4 - ?????

Let's say he hypothetically hits 60 receptions, 800 yards, and 5 TDs this year.

Is it really unbelievable that a team would pay him more than $4 million per? I dunno man, looking at what happened with Golden Tate, I'm not sure if it's out of the realm of possibility.

Jones will have to get 800-900 yards 7+ TDs for him to be looked at like that. To have as big of an injury issue as he's had will make a lot of people hesitant, especially when the injury has been to his ankle/foot every time. If he just has a 600-700 yard season he might get 4-5 mil a year, but I very much doubt more than that. Brandon Lafell was good for ~650 yards and 4-5 TDs a year, and the Patriots snagged him up for only 3 mil a year.
Reply/Quote