Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample over Uzomah?
I was a guy who took a lot of heat for saying Drew Sample was not that bad at TE last year. But all along I have considered Uzomah our #1 TE when healthy.

Recently I have seen comments that Sample was going to be the #1 TE this year. I figure both Uzomah and Sample will see playing time, but I see CJ getting more snaps.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 08:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was a guy who took a lot of heat for saying Drew Sample was not that bad at TE last year.  But all along I have considered Uzomah our #1 TE when healthy.

Recently I have seen comments that Sample was going to be the #1 TE this year.  I figure both Uzomah and Sample will see playing time, but I see CJ getting more snaps.

Thoughts?

Earlier today I saw an article with the starting depth chart for training camp, and Sample was in the first slot.

Chase was first at WR1, with Higgins first for WR2 and Boyd first for Slot WR.

Surprisingly, Tre Waynes was also in the first slot for both outside and slot corner.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sample will probably be the number 1 to start the season as Uzomah continues recovery from the ankle. No reason to overwork CJ early in the year.

Sample doesn’t need to do much… make good blocks, catch a 5 yard pass here and there… just be more reliable this year and make the contested catches. His targets should be relatively low and if they aren’t something is terribly wrong by design.
Reply/Quote
James Rapien did a short video about possible free agents to being in. He mentioned Jordan Matthews would be at the scouting camp this weekend converting to TE.

If he had a decent workout I wouldnt hate to see them being him to compete with Moss, O'Grady, and Schreck.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I dislike both options, but at this point I'd prefer Sample. Uzomah wasn't all that great to begin with and he comes back from an injury that very well might have cost him.

Also, I figure the TE spot won't play a too big part in the passing game to begin with, so I suppose it makes sense to go with the better blocker. Which, imho, might be Sample.
Reply/Quote
I would have to assume Uzomah is the "#1" TE. Otherwise it makes no sense that they kept him.

He's making over 6 mil this year in the final year of his deal. It would be surprising for them to keep that salary on the books, especially when the guy is coming off a pretty significant injury, if they don't plan on him regaining his spot.
Reply/Quote
For whatever reason.ZT and BC just dont value TEs
That can attack the seams and are dangerous
After the catch. Sample is the better blocker but Uzomah
Is better at going vertical.
Right now since JB needs all the protection he can
Get,Sample gets the spot at 1st on the depth chart

If you look.at the TEs they brought on board none really
Put it.up in college. Wells was a non factor.OGrady has
Measureables but not much else. Moss gets a lookie
Cause JB was throwing to.him at LSU.

If Uzomah or Sample go .down your depth at TE gets challenged
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 08:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Sample will probably be the number 1 to start the season as Uzomah continues recovery from the ankle. No reason to overwork CJ early in the year.

Sample doesn’t need to do much… make good blocks, catch a 5 yard pass here and there… just be more reliable this year and make the contested catches. His targets should be relatively low and if they aren’t something is terribly wrong by design.

If he wasn't going to be recovered by Week 1, he should have been cut a couple months ago. That's $5.3m that they could have put towards improving the team in a greater fashion than a #2 TE who can "catch a 5 yard pass here and there".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
According to PFF, Sample is the best blocking tight end, nearing the top for both run and pass grades and also has the highest amount of blocking snaps. My guess is we might even see an increase in blocking snaps, especially on Carmen’s side to decrease the space in which each blocker has to cover. With our WR+Mixon and others, I don’t think we need a fifth skill player in the passing game most snaps.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 09:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If he wasn't going to be recovered by Week 1, he should have been cut a couple months ago. That's $5.3m that they could have put towards improving the team in a greater fashion than a #2 TE who can "catch a 5 yard pass here and there".

Oh the catch a pass here and there comment was about Sample. Yes, prob could’ve cut CJ but I think the ownership would’ve seen they as dishonorable cutting someone during injury recovery. Agree though, we could live without CJ even though I like him.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think our TE positions will play a large roll in this offense,but they are still important positions to this offense.Don’t really think there’s that a big difference between the two.So I guess it might come down to who is the better blocker.Although I believe Uzomah is better at contested catches.Sample appears to struggle with contested catches.Myles Jack took the ball right out of his hands for an interception in the endzone in that game against the Jaguars last year.Also Moss might give both of these Tight Ends some fierce competition if he can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
Sample is an every down TE because of his blocking ability. He’s the number one out of run/pass sets. I liked what Uzo and Burrow did in the passing game last year before he was hurt though. He’s definitely in the mix.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 10:20 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Oh the catch a pass here and there comment was about Sample. Yes, prob could’ve cut CJ but I think the ownership would’ve seen they as dishonorable cutting someone during injury recovery. Agree though, we could live without CJ even though I like him.

Yeah, that's 100% on me just failing at reading, Lol... I think I need to go to bed.

Bengals cut Atkins during injury recovery. Bengals also cut Gio after the primary FA rush had already passed (though that arguably worked out quite well for him in the end.) Just seems like the Bengals are always spending their money inefficiently and not ever actually trying to put the best team they can for their dollar. NFL is just too competitive and you're never going to win if you're not trying your all to win.

Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see where they line Sample up to start the season - left side or right side.
Reply/Quote
We're sitting pretty good at TE considering one year our top 2 TEs were JP Foschi and Daniel Coats. Heck even Dennis Roland got some Te snaps that year. Somehow we swept the north that year. Both the AFC and NFC.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 02:00 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: We're sitting pretty good at TE considering one year our top 2 TEs were JP Foschi and Daniel Coats.  Heck even Dennis Roland got some Te snaps that year.  Somehow we swept the north that year.  Both the AFC and NFC.

The Bengals had the 24th overall/22nd scoring offense that year. Palmer threw for under 200 yards per game.

Bengals D that year was 6th in scoring, 4th overall (6th passing/7th rushing).

So no, they're not sitting pretty good at TE in 2021 because they don't have an elite defense to ride the backs of while they run a bad gimmick offense.

Reply/Quote
I think CJ will be 1A and Drew 1B. I think both will play a lot and both will be better than people expect.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 08:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Sample will probably be the number 1 to start the season as Uzomah continues recovery from the ankle. No reason to overwork CJ early in the year.

Uzomah has been a full go in off season activities. It is a 9 to 11 month injury. He should be good to go for the season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 08:52 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Earlier today I saw an article with the starting depth chart for training camp, and Sample was in the first slot.

Chase was first at WR1, with Higgins first for WR2 and Boyd first for Slot WR.

Surprisingly, Tre Waynes was also in the first slot for both outside and slot corner.

that might be cause Uz is still returning from injury   pre camp depth charts dont mean a ton
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 08:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was a guy who took a lot of heat for saying Drew Sample was not that bad at TE last year.  But all along I have considered Uzomah our #1 TE when healthy.

Recently I have seen comments that Sample was going to be the #1 TE this year.  I figure both Uzomah and Sample will see playing time, but I see CJ getting more snaps.

Thoughts?

I file this under:  "Great Problem to Have", but based on VERY early numbers for Uzomah (8/87 yards, 1 TD in less than two whole games), and the performance of Sample as both a blocker and receive, I think that we could see more 12 personnel than we are all imagining.  I know no one likes the idea of taking Boyd, Higgins, or Chase off the field, but two TE sets give tremendous flexibility and can help the rushing attack.

The addition of Moss, who is finally healthy and could provide quality depth, only further enhances this possibility.  

I still see Uzo as the #1 receiving TE, though.  Sample is a solid receiver and "chain mover", but Uzo is more dynamic downfield.  I think having both out there will be interesting.  It won't be the base formation by any stretch, but I think we will see it more than everyone around here expects after last season.  
Reply/Quote