Both
56.45%
35 56.45%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sanu or Jones or Both?
Looking a little bit farther ahead into the off-season do you think Jones and Sanu have played well enough to earn a long term deal? Personally I would sign Jones to a deal and let Sanu walk. We have a lot of free agents to re-sign this off-season and we can take a stab at replacing him through the draft. I appreciate Sanu's swiss army knife type role but he never developed into a consistent possession guy. I was hoping he could resemble Housh in some way.

If we can afford to keep them both without sacrificing too much that would be good.

Here's a look at our free agents.

WR Mohamed Sanu

WR Marvin Jones

OT Andre Smith

DE Wallace Gilberry

DT Brandon Thompson

LB Vincent Rey

LB Chris Carter

CB Hall

CB Adam Jones

S Nelson

S Iloka
Reply/Quote
I am pretty sure we have plenty of dough to keep them both, especially with Mo not having that big of a year.

If i had to choose i would definately keep MLJ over Mo but i don't want to. I want to keep Mo around he does little things you don't notice.

He is a good blocker and is so versatile.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am pretty sure we have plenty of dough to keep them both, especially with Mo not having that big of a year.

If i had to choose i would definately keep MLJ over Mo but i don't want to. I want to keep Mo around he does little things you don't notice.

This^^^^^ would love if they keep all, but would much rather have M.  jones than sanu. Don't think A jones be going anywhere.   Rock On
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
Both. I'm a big fan of keeping what we have in tact, with the exception of upgrading Tate.

It seems that Sanu hasn't had the number of touches needed to elevate his value, when compared to AJ, MLJ, and Eifert being the top three targets. But he gives us high value in blocking and an option to be accounted for by the defenses he's up against.
And I think he's got another TD pass completion coming up soon Ninja
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am pretty sure we have plenty of dough to keep them both, especially with Mo not having that big of a year.

I think the front office can make it happen what I worry about is a team like the Browns, Bucs or Dolphins deciding to overspend and make Sanu a crazy offer they know the Bengals won't match. Teams like that seem to get desperate and will overvalue players like Hawkins who are great at a few things.
Reply/Quote
If we can keep both, then I'm all for that, but it probably won't happen. If we're signing one, then I'd take a run at Jones first. A good deep threat is harder to find than a slot/possession guy. Jones and Dalton seem to have better chemistry than Dalton/Sanu. I know that Sanu hasn't had a drop attributed to him this season, but he's had drop problems the past two seasons.

I could see someone willing to overspend for his kind versatility.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:12 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: I think the front office can make it happen what I worry about is a team like the Browns, Bucs or Dolphins deciding to overspend and make Sanu a crazy offer they know the Bengals won't match. Teams like that seem to get desperate and will overvalue players like Hawkins who are great at a few things.

Another team making such an offer might be highly likely. All the more reason to extend him this year - shouldn't be a tremendous amount of money, and we avoid another team irritating the crap out of us .... let them woo Tate away from us next Spring  Cool
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote

This. Mo is solid depth, but he's never done anything worthy of a big payday. He should be easy to retain. Tbh, I see MLJ costing somewhere around 6 mil per (he's not a #1) and Sanu coming in around 3.5 mil.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mo he will be the cheaper of the two. I think Marvin is the better of the two but I am sure someone will pay low tier # 1 WR money for him. While Sanu will not get as much interest being a slot guy without elite speed.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Both is ideal but Jones should be a bigger priority.
Reply/Quote
With those 11 FAs, it is feasable with the $$ we have to keep about half of them. So let's say they can sign 5....and maybe even get 6 out of those 11. The 5 you need to keep in order of importance are:

1. Marvin Jones - it has been shown this season how badly we missed a viable #2 WR. In games where the opposing D takes AJ out of the picture, Jones still leaves a viable deep threat on the table for them to consider. I believe he is the reason AJ is having a decent season this year.

2. Adam Jones - defensive leader and our best CB. At 32, he is still playing at a high level. The year + he spent out of football has benefitted us by him playing younger than his years due to less wear and tear on his body. Doesn't have to be long term...maybe a one or two year contract, but we can still get some of his best years.

3. George Iloka - quietly one of the best FSs in football. Can cover, can hit, can make plays on the ball. Still young and well worth the $$.

4. Reggie Nelson - another player with a good year or two left. Plays well and has invaluable experience. Leading the NFL in INTs this season. Usually its a CB you see doing that, not a S. Another candidate for at least a 1 or 2 year deal.

5. Mohamed Sanu - adds valuable versatility to our O. Not really a viable #2 as shown last season, but a valuable role player and tough with YACs. Can get him without breaking the bank after the other must haves are signed.

6. Vincent Rey - it was a toss up between him and Sanu, but with players like Dawson in the wings, signing Rey would be icing. Has shown how valuable he is in adding depth after Burfict was injured. Smart player, and a little better in covering TEs than Burfict when the opposing O dictates mismatches.

I think those 5 would be reasonable and doable signings. Adding #6 would be a very good off season.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:01 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: CB Hall

CB Adam Jones

S Nelson

S Iloka

that right there is worrysome....

Extend Jones if we can (adam Jones) Extend hall on a 2 year team friendly deal.
Extend lIloka, Try and figure out a way to keep nelson

I would want to keep both Jones and Sanu as they are part of our main 3 But i couldnt tell you who i wanted more... Jones has great hands and feet and has the speed to go deep.

Sanu and his Wildcat formations are useful His role has deminished a bit with Eifert tearing up the seems and Slot routes.

Both add a little something and have 4 years each with dalton minus time off with injuries. Jones is probly the better WR though. Both have their moments.

Names you also have to consider while not free agents could be inline for extenstions
Zeitler and Dre If either are signed long term before the season starts i believe we can remove the 5th year option price and get them at a better rate.

And guys like Eifert (is he up for extenstion since he technically is on his second year?)
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:12 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: I think the front office can make it happen what I worry about is a team like the Browns, Bucs or Dolphins deciding to overspend and make Sanu a crazy offer they know the Bengals won't match. Teams like that seem to get desperate and will overvalue players like Hawkins who are great at a few things.

That is concerning cause you are correct. Those teams like to overpay players, but the Browns have paid a lot
of money for the guys they already got. I mean they have Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins and then guys like Travis
Benjamin and Gary Barnidge outplay them. Pretty crazy those Stains. They have good players.

The Bucs have Evans and the Dolphins have Devante Parker for the future so they might be looking for that
#2 receiver, i just don't know if Mo has had a good enough year to really stand out.

I hope so anyway cause i want him back like i said, but MLJ is definately the rarer talent and he helps out the
whole Offense more cause he is such a deep threat. I just hope some team does not want to pay him like a #1
and he leaves, that would suck. MLJ is special. Great speed and hands.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that right there is worrysome....

Extend Jones if we can  (adam Jones)    Extend hall on a 2 year team friendly deal.
Extend lIloka,  Try and figure out a way to keep nelson

I would want to keep both Jones and Sanu as they are part of our main 3  But i couldnt tell you who i wanted more... Jones has great hands and feet and has the speed to go deep.  

Sanu and his Wildcat formations are useful  His role has deminished a bit with Eifert tearing up the seems and Slot routes.

Both add a little something and have 4 years each with dalton minus time off with injuries.    Jones is probly the better WR though. Both have their moments.

Names you also have to consider while not free agents could be inline for extenstions
Zeitler and Dre   If either are signed long term before the season starts i believe we can remove the 5th year option price and get them at a better rate.

And guys like Eifert (is he up for extenstion since he technically is on his second year?)

Have to keep this Secondary together. Hall might be a guy we could let go with Dennard and Shaw waiting in
the wings but i would like to keep him around. Adam, Iloka and Reggie need to stay. Reggie is having a great
year but he is up there in age so teams might not want to pay him like he deserves.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:17 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Another team making such an offer might be highly likely. All the more reason to extend him this year - shouldn't be a tremendous amount of money, and we avoid another team irritating the crap out of us .... let them woo Tate away from us next Spring  Cool

I'd love to get guys like Sanu and V.Rey get extended before the season is over let's take advantage of the season we're having. If the season ends and we're one of the last 4 teams standing we might even get guys coming back just to get another shot at a Lombardi trophy.

Tate has almost become a comedy sketch. How long can one mediocre player survive on a team with lots of talent? LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 07:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is concerning cause you are correct. Those teams like to overpay players, but the Browns have paid a lot
of money for the guys they already got. I mean they have Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins and then guys like Travis
Benjamin and Gary Barnidge outplay them. Pretty crazy those Stains. They have good players.

The Bucs have Evans and the Dolphins have Devante Parker for the future so they might be looking for that
#2 receiver, i just don't know if Mo has had a good enough year to really stand out.

I hope so anyway cause i want him back like i said, but MLJ is definately the rarer talent and he helps out the
whole Offense more cause he is such a deep threat. I just hope some team does not want to pay him like a #1
and he leaves, that would suck. MLJ is special. Great speed and hands.

I have a feeling MLJ is going to generate a lot of interest the top wide outs in the upcoming free agency are (In no particular order.)...

Marvin Jones
Alshon Jefferey
Michael Crabtree
Rishard Matthews
Percy Harvin
Malcolm Floyd
Reuben Randle
Travis Benjamin
Anquan Boldin

I think Jefferey will be a top tier FA making huge money if he doesn't get tagged. Marvin Jones will be leading the 2nd tier imo. I think the Bengals really value him though so I'm not sure MLJ will be leaving easily.
Reply/Quote
I think they believe they have a viable 3 in Alford and although I'd rather keep MLJ as a 2, Sanu can fill that role at a cheaper price, should Jones want a lot of money, allowing the flexibility to sign more key players at other positions.

Also the cap goes up this year and some high salaries come off the books. So with some creativity, I'm confident most of our FA's will be given a fair chance to re sign. If I'm a player, I'm signing any fair offer because in Cinci, your chances of playing out that contract are extremely high and they'll never ask you to restructure. Plus Cinci offers stability uncommon around the league. They've gotta good team vibe with core players already signed long term. They're built for winning for the next 10 years or so.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote

And if the Browns were to offer such a deal they would again show their front office ignorance.  They are currently the laughing stock of the league, mainly due to their ownership/GM/head coach relationship and differing of views - and I don't blame Pettine here.  I like Sanu and don't want him to go, but if a team like the Browns feel like overpaying he has to take it.

Look at the bright side, this mismanagement of funds will continue keep the other teams (like the Browns) from climbing out of the abyss.  And they'll never find a proven coach to sign up, only the newbies hoping for an opportunity.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This team likes to keep their own around.  I could see Jones getting a nice mid-range deal for 3-5 years, and Sanu getting a more modest deal for same length of time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd re-sign Jones, let Sanu walk, draft a tall burner type WR in the 1st or 2nd round, and pick up Andrew Hawkins (the Browns can't keep him around for that money, unless he got a lot upfront) when he gets released this offseaon.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote